Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I will be living by myself for the first time, in University Accommodation.

I have everything to do with my daily routine planned and figured out except for food.

I have a £10-£12/day food budget but I don't know what food to buy... :confused:

Here is my current thoughts:

At Lunch, I will buy 1 sandwich and 1 apple. In the morning, I will have bread with jam or butter (if I can wake up early enough). I don't know what I should buy for the rest of the day.

I wanted to shop a weeks worth of microwaveable meals, weekly; but, the fridge we get is not large enough to hold a weeks worth of food. Instant noodles and milk should always exist in the fridge. I don't want to shop daily...I want to refill my fridge weekly (twice a week, if I cant handle it).

I am strongly introverted and I hate eating in public. I need at least 1 heavy meal per day. I can't think of what/where/how/etc. Please help. I need ideas.

I should have studied Food tech and learnt how to cook. I will miss mom's cooking :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    Learning to cook is not that difficult, start by trying out easy recipes online. You could consider investing in a oven/ toaster oven. Baking is usually healthy and easier than cooking on a stove and you can follow recipes exactly so they're harder to mess up. Oily fish like mackerel and cod are usually still edible even if it's a bit overcooked so you can try starting with those meats. If you're okay with eating a lot of rice cooking rice in a rice cooker is easy and you can just follow the fill line in the bowl. Pasta is also easy just follow the cooking time on the package.

I don't have much suggestions for your small fridge problem but if you don't want to have to go food shopping as often go for microwavable meals which are freezer friendly so they keep longer. Meat can usually be frozen and if you're not planning to eat it within the next 2 days put it in the freezer. Vegetables like broccoli and cabbage can keep for a while in the fridge but leafy greens have to be eaten more quickly.

I don't really know if this would help. Do you have any more specific concerns?

ReputationRep:
    10-12pounds a day food budget is LOADS! you can easily feed yourself for that (for a bit of perspective, I would spend around 20-25pounds a week on food at university). I wouldn't rely on ready meals, yeah some of them taste good but they're packed full of calories, salt and other stuff. Far better to make stuff yourself and cheaper too.

Like the person above has suggested rice and pasta make good foundations, then you can make stuff like pasta sauce, curry, bolognaise, chili con carne, beef stew etc to go with it. I would generally cook large portions of this kind of meal and then freeze the leftovers in zip-lock bags to have an a quick, easy meal later on in the week. You can search the internet for recipes, the BBC food site often has very nice things on it, most recipes are pretty easy to follow especially for the kind of dishes I mentioned. If you want you could probably also ask people on here what recipes they use so that way you know it's been tested and tastes good. You really don't need to rely on ready meals!

Edit: I'd highly recommend porridge for breakfast if you want a change from jam on bread. Oats are dirt cheap, mix with milk or water and then add whatever toppings you like. I like mashed banana with cinnamon and raisins. It fills you up for hours for next to nothing cost.

ReputationRep:
    You'll learn to cook and your skills will improve vastly as time progresses. In my first year I was eating takeaways, frozen pizzas, chips and sandwiches mainly then it got boring.

One day I just plucked up the courage to make a different dish like curries or chillis, than I learned how to make all sorts. Very rarely will I have a takeaway or eat frozen food now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I dislike oat so I will stick with the staple bread and butter for breakfast.

I decided to buy a rice cooker. Then, I just need to learn to cook stuff that goes well with rice. I guess I have a month to teach myself. :headfire: This should be fun.

Thanks for the advices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azgar)
    I dislike oat so I will stick with the staple bread and butter for breakfast.

I decided to buy a rice cooker. Then, I just need to learn to cook stuff that goes well with rice. I guess I have a month to teach myself. :headfire: This should be fun.

Thanks for the advices.
    Piece of advice with rice cooker, always follow the measurements in bowl and use the cup which comes with the rice cooker to measure the amount of rice you want to cook for best results. I would start with trying to cook 1 cup per meal if you're a guy/ big eater but any leftovers can be stored in the fridge and microwaved to reheat.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.