Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    So I got my A-level results on Thursday and let's just say I didn't meet the grades (2 off ), so I didn't get my place for biomedical sciences at Durham. However, I got an offer to transfer onto the MPharm course which I accepted, so I'll be at Durham in October!
    But Ii was just wondering if anyone knew about transferring back to biomedical after the first year? I'm so excited to be studying pharmacy, but I'm just concerned I might struggle with it, as I've heard it's quite chemistry based?
    I've heard of people going from biomed to pharmacy, but not the other way! Does anyone have any experience/opinions about how easy this might be? Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Stay on MPharm!!!!

My reasons...

1) MPharm gives you the chance to be a fully qualified and registered pharmacist. Pay is good and its a very stable job.
    2) Biomedical science is for people who wanted to do medicine, but didn't have the grades initially. You will most likely be wanting to go into medicine via graduate entry, but its VERY competitive, if not MORE than undergraduate entry. If you don't get into medicine, you will most likely be getting into a lab job, unless you study further and go onto phD level. Lab jobs aren't all that great, both pay and stability wise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jadeymas)
    Hi guys,
    So I got my A-level results on Thursday and let's just say I didn't meet the grades (2 off ), so I didn't get my place for biomedical sciences at Durham. However, I got an offer to transfer onto the MPharm course which I accepted, so I'll be at Durham in October!
    But Ii was just wondering if anyone knew about transferring back to biomedical after the first year? I'm so excited to be studying pharmacy, but I'm just concerned I might struggle with it, as I've heard it's quite chemistry based?
    I've heard of people going from biomed to pharmacy, but not the other way! Does anyone have any experience/opinions about how easy this might be? Thanks in advance
    I can't comment on pharmacy. But I've done biomed and loved it! And to the poster above, no I'm not a medicine reject lol.
    Maybe start the first year and see how you get on? Cant you do biomed at a different uni? If its really what you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A321)
    I can't comment on pharmacy. But I've done biomed and loved it! And to the poster above, no I'm not a medicine reject lol.
    Maybe start the first year and see how you get on? Cant you do biomed at a different uni? If its really what you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I mean biomed was always what I saw myself doing :/ I just don't know whether the courses are similiar enough for it to be a smooth transfer, or if it's even possible to change courses!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by godd)
    Stay on MPharm!!!!

My reasons...

1) MPharm gives you the chance to be a fully qualified and registered pharmacist. Pay is good and its a very stable job.
    2) Biomedical science is for people who wanted to do medicine, but didn't have the grades initially. You will most likely be wanting to go into medicine via graduate entry, but its VERY competitive, if not MORE than undergraduate entry. If you don't get into medicine, you will most likely be getting into a lab job, unless you study further and go onto phD level. Lab jobs aren't all that great, both pay and stability wise.
    That's true, I'll definitely give the MPharm a fair go before deciding

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 16, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.