The Student Room Group

i dont know what to do

hey,
i am in a dilemma i have always wanted to do children's nursing for like seems ages but now ive left school and got my alevels, i don't particularly want to do this carer anymore. im really into crime and things like that so i looked at a couple of forensic psychology courses as they have really grabbed my attention. i was looking at the open university as a better option for me as i am a full time carer. when i spoke to my mum about this she was not to impressed she really wants me to do the nursing course but i don't want to do that. i don't want to waste my time doing the wrong degree. has anyone else gone through the same thing?
Reply 1
I think I kind of have, my family preferred me to choose a degree that had more of a science route, and for a long time I wanted to do a psychology degree. But then a year passed, and when I was writing my personal statement, I decided that I wanted to do an English degree instead because I enjoyed it a lot at A level.

I know how parents can sway you on decisions, because you want to make them happy, but at the same time you want to do something for yourself. I would say to do the course you want to, because it would really suck to be paying for a degree later on, or having a job in your field that you don't even enjoy. It would be a waste of time when you could be doing something you absolutely love.

At the end of the day, it's your life, and even though parents do have an influence on the decisions we make, they can't tell you how to be happy. Maybe try talking to your mum about it? And explain to her the reasons why you don't want to do a nursing course, and maybe even ask her why she wants you to do that as opposed to one of your choice and interest.

Good luck on your decisions and take care!

(Feel free to message me if you need someone to talk to!) :smile:
Original post by laurajaynes
hey,
i am in a dilemma i have always wanted to do children's nursing for like seems ages but now ive left school and got my alevels, i don't particularly want to do this carer anymore. im really into crime and things like that so i looked at a couple of forensic psychology courses as they have really grabbed my attention. i was looking at the open university as a better option for me as i am a full time carer. when i spoke to my mum about this she was not to impressed she really wants me to do the nursing course but i don't want to do that. i don't want to waste my time doing the wrong degree. has anyone else gone through the same thing?

And what sort of job do you think you are going to get studying forensic psychology - that really would be a waste of time.

Your mum is right and for this reason

- if you do a form of nursing - be it adult or children's - you are virtually guaranteed employment for life. You can travel the world, you can do agency work so work when you want to. Yes the pay when you start is not great but you can progress up the ladder fairly quickly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending