Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I will be picking my a-levels in less than a week. I was wondering what the grades were for current and ex students of Economics at LSE? (Undergraduate) On the website it says A*AA which A* in Maths is the minimum offer or usual offer.
    I am thinking about doing Further Maths,Maths,Economics and Chemistry? and keeping them all for Year 13 hopefully.

Also what were grades like at GCSE especially for English Language.
    Did you do anything special during your a-levels like work or volunteer. Did you do any summer schools before your start at LSE?
    Anything besides getting the grades?

I really want to find out the best way to get into LSE so thank you to all who reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadaf2)
    I will be picking my a-levels in less than a week. I was wondering what the grades were for current and ex students of Economics at LSE? (Undergraduate) On the website it says A*AA which A* in Maths is the minimum offer or usual offer.
    I am thinking about doing Further Maths,Maths,Economics and Chemistry? and keeping them all for Year 13 hopefully.

Did you do anything special during your a-levels like work or volunteer. Did you do any summer schools before your start at LSE?

I really want to find out the best way to get into LSE so thank you to all who reply.
    I got into BSc Maths and Econ a couple years ago with only 6A* 2A 1B

and for a-levels i got A*A*A*AA in Maths, Further Maths, Mandarin, Physics and Chemistry

too be honest i don't think LSE really cares about extra curricula's so much as grades but i wrote that i interned at an accountancy firm and taught kids maths

ReputationRep:
    I won't get into LSE then after seeing your grades

ReputationRep:

Seems like a good A level choice. Most people there, if i guessed an average, will have something like A*A*AA+ (most likely A* maths A* further maths)

Why specifically English lang GCSE? I think what matters more is your A* percentage/count. Most will have 8A*+ who get in - the more the better.

The most important thing is grades. For economics, you'll have to submit your AS scores, so grades are only one part of the story - you'll need high average scores from your modules (90%+ realistically). Volunteering/work experience/extra curriculars are good and all but not if they hinder your academics. You don't have to go to a summer school but it's something to talk about in your personal statement and also it gives you a taste of what's to come at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_123)
    Seems like a good A level choice. Most people there, if i guessed an average, will have something like A*A*AA+ (most likely A* maths A* further maths)

Why specifically English lang GCSE? I think what matters more is your A* percentage/count. Most will have 8A*+ who get in - the more the better.

The most important thing is grades. For economics, you'll have to submit your AS scores, so grades are only one part of the story - you'll need high average scores from your modules (90%+ realistically). Volunteering/work experience/extra curriculars are good and all but not if they hinder your academics. You don't have to go to a summer school but it's something to talk about in your personal statement and also it gives you a taste of what's to come at uni.
    Thanks a lot for your reply.

I asked about English Language because that is the subject I am most worried about and since it is a Core subject I thought it was relevant.

Hopefully I do get around 8 A* on my results day in like 4 days and can be more confident in this whole thing.
    I am currently doing some AS C1 and C2 maths preparation to help me but I enjoy maths and will try as hard as I can for it to get the A*'s hopefully.

That's what I was wondering about. I was thinking about what sort of outside stuff I should do in order to make me stand out and what sort of volunteering that can help me. Like anything specific to Economics? Anyways thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jedbrien)
    I got into BSc Maths and Econ a couple years ago with only 6A* 2A 1B

and for a-levels i got A*A*A*AA in Maths, Further Maths, Mandarin, Physics and Chemistry

too be honest i don't think LSE really cares about extra curricula's so much as grades but i wrote that i interned at an accountancy firm and taught kids maths
    Oh wow that is amazing A level grades! I've always wanted to learn Mandarin.

But thank you for your reply and I think this is actually putting it into perspective for how hard I have to work... lol
    Thank you again

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for your reply.

I asked about English Language because that is the subject I am most worried about and since it is a Core subject I thought it was relevant.

Hopefully I do get around 8 A* on my results day in like 4 days and can be more confident in this whole thing.
    I am currently doing some AS C1 and C2 maths preparation to help me but I enjoy maths and will try as hard as I can for it to get the A*'s hopefully.

That's what I was wondering about. I was thinking about what sort of outside stuff I should do in order to make me stand out and what sort of volunteering that can help me. Like anything specific to Economics? Anyways thanks for your help
    It's a good idea to do some AS over the summer. However, personally, I finished C1 over the summer and ended up having to cover the work in lesson again. Since C1 and C2 aren't the most taxing of modules, it got quite boring quickly - just some food for thought (so mix some economics in there?)

The only way you can stand out is to have outstanding academics. Doing things like DoE won't advantage your application because you're applying to an academic institution. That being said, if you have the chance, then do some work experience that will improve either your CV or allow you to have something to talk about in your personal statement (something like Bank of England would be ideal) or, as you said, do some volunteering for the greater good for society!

Good luck on your results

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_123)
    It's a good idea to do some AS over the summer. However, personally, I finished C1 over the summer and ended up having to cover the work in lesson again. Since C1 and C2 aren't the most taxing of modules, it got quite boring quickly - just some food for thought (so mix some economics in there?)

The only way you can stand out is to have outstanding academics. Doing things like DoE won't advantage your application because you're applying to an academic institution. That being said, if you have the chance, then do some work experience that will improve either your CV or allow you to have something to talk about in your personal statement (something like Bank of England would be ideal) or, as you said, do some volunteering for the greater good for society!

Good luck on your results
    Thank you
    yeah I do know some of the content because they were covered in my Further maths GCSE but yh I need to start doing some economics prep and chemistry until school starts. And no way am I doing DoE again still feeling the pain of walking idk how many km with like a pulled muscle or something in my thigh and 7 blisters.

I am going to look for some volunteering jobs or jobs within any banks tomorrow so thanks for that suggestion.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if these gcse results are good enough for LSE to study maths and economics degree:I know they state they require "several A* and A's" at gcse but I really want to know if I have a chance, but don't white wash it, I would rather know, just hoping that with the A level entry requirements satisfied(If I got A*A A) If I would get in ?
    Btw I plan to study Maths, futher maths, economics and classics at A level.

The exam pressure made me panic in a few of these and for some reason I got a grade lower:
    Maths-A (when I find out my percentage, I'm going to get it re marked as I couldn't have been that far of A* because I got most the A* questions right however I made a few mistakes on C grade questions that didn't make sense to me).
    Economics gcse-B (they changed one of the unit papers, got an A* in unit 12 and a low C in unit 11 the paper they changed).
    English language-A
    English literature-A
    Re-A(couple marks of overall A*).
    Additional Science-B
    Core science-C
    Graphics-B

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 22, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.