Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking about applying to Cambridge econ. However, I heard that successful applicants got about the average of 95% UMS and my average ums is only 89.8% (93% in econ, 90.3% in FMaths, 89% in Maths and 87% in Physics) and my gcse results are 6 A*s 3As. What are chances of getting in? or would i stand a better chance to apply for E&M at Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FMW96)
    I am thinking about applying to Cambridge econ. However, I heard that successful applicants got about the average of 95% UMS and my average ums is only 89.8% (93% in econ, 90.3% in FMaths, 89% in Maths and 87% in Physics) and my gcse results are 6 A*s 3As. What are chances of getting in? or would i stand a better chance to apply for E&M at Oxford.
    Apply for the most appealing one to you.
    Check the curriculum of both course and see what sounds more interesting.
    PS often matters more than grades, start working on it. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I want to apply to Oxbridge, but don't know whether to apply to Oxford or Cambridge
    At GCSE I got 9A*'s, 3A's and a C in Astronomy
    At A-level I got AAAB
    87.8 in Maths (C1-93, C2-96, S1-74)
    90.3 in Biology
    79 in Chemistry (Was one away from an A, but hopefully a remark is kind to me)
    93.5 in Economics
    - The average of my 3 best subjects would be 90.5
    I'm also head boy at my school xD
    My school didn't offer further maths last year, but this year they are, and I intend on picking up AS further maths
    I've been to the Eton, UNIQ (Oxford), Cambridge, and LSE Summer Schools
    The secondary school I went to and the sixth form I currently go to are considered 'deprived' and I am also an ethnic minority.

I wouldn't mind applying to Oxford or Cambridge, but it's just that I am so afraid of the TSA - which I might flop on the day. Especially since I havent had the time to appropriately revise for it

In light of this information, should I apply to Oxford or Cambridge? And why ? Also is it worth applying to LSE ?
    I really need some help and advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FMW96)
    There are more places for Economics at Cambridge than places for E&M in Oxford. Go check Oxford for Admission Statistics for more information. Cambridge probably have same info too. Both will require A* in Maths, I believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FMW96)
    Do you want to study Management?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FMW96)
    Hello, with results like that and a good personal statement, you should get an interview. If you excel in the interview, they will review it in light of the rest of your application (the interview isn't a decider, or so I've heard), but it should give you a decent chance of an offer. A friend of mine has a very similar average to you at AS and he now has a place to read Engineering at Cambridge. It's definitely worth a shot. Good luck! :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    Do you want to study Management?
    I don't mind studying management as I did business studies for my gcse and I quite enjoyed it. However, I didn't choose for A levels as I didn't think it is a good combination with economics. I've looked at both unis website and for cambridge they say that they have an option to switch to management on the third year, whereas for oxford I can choose more optional econ modules. So the courses are not problems for me.

(Original post by [COLOR=#505050)
    ady_101[/COLOR]]Hello, with results like that and a good personal statement, you should get an interview. If you excel in the interview, they will review it in light of the rest of your application (the interview isn't a decider, or so I've heard), but it should give you a decent chance of an offer. A friend of mine has a very similar average to you at AS and he now has a place to read Engineering at Cambridge. It's definitely worth a shot. Good luck! :-)
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ady_101)
    Hello, with results like that and a good personal statement, you should get an interview. If you excel in the interview, they will review it in light of the rest of your application (the interview isn't a decider, or so I've heard), but it should give you a decent chance of an offer. A friend of mine has a very similar average to you at AS and he now has a place to read Engineering at Cambridge. It's definitely worth a shot. Good luck! :-)
    Nice one Ady! 10/10 for tsr swag

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 21, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.