The Student Room Group

Clearing success stories 2014

so heres what happened to me during clearing receently

with me, it was a shock, to cut it short i have had a crazy year, removed from family, moved out, put into care living on my own halfway through alevels, had to moved 4 times in the year as places wernt safe and constant problems with paying rent as i am only young etc.

so i applied to exeter and cardiff, biochemistry and chemistry respectively.

both uni's at interviews said they took into consideration and lowered my needed offers and stated that i can still get in if my grades are 1-2 grades lower.

both rejected me when results came, got BCD. i did expect some type of alternative course,call or anything as i did tell them i had problems during exams. though i got that the grade were low.

I was so upset as i thought id do better but i did do reasonable for what i went through. so i went into clearing, called every russel group (including cardiff and exeter to reconsider me) and all of them rejected me.

i was giving up and managed to get a offer from bournemouth for biosciences but this course is one of the worst taught for sciences in the uk and the uni isnt up to what i wanted.

I recalled every uni that i wanted once again, like surrey, leeds, southhampton, aberdeen and all of them but still said no. Then cardiff came into play..i called them up and they said no BUT they said call again on friday 15th to see if theres still spaces as i got a B in bio, on the 14th i did call cardiff 5 times, and even spoke to the head of department for bio..still a rejection. so on the 15th i gave it one last shot at 12:30pm, i went to a ucas clearing man who was again reluctant to even consider me so i asked him, can you send me to the biology deparment and i got through..I pursaded them again but with things like let me in and ill work so hard that ill get a first (funny but i was serious and still am) and i explained my circumstances and kept nagging them when they tried to say no and refused to take no..he finally put me on hold and then agreed ! they offered any biology degree from biochem to bioengineering which was a shock, i was just happy to get a course and said bio with placement year and now i got it! i couldnt help but cry on the phone aha

now im into cardiff, first year free accommodation and a 3k bursary on top throughout the course as they thought my circumstances would allow me that !

cardiff is a really good uni, a russel group and one of the best for biology, if you want something, just keep at it! thats my story :L

post yours !
Reply 1
Original post by lovelife18
so heres what happened to me during clearing receently

with me, it was a shock, to cut it short i have had a crazy year, removed from family, moved out, put into care living on my own halfway through alevels, had to moved 4 times in the year as places wernt safe and constant problems with paying rent as i am only young etc.

so i applied to exeter and cardiff, biochemistry and chemistry respectively.

both uni's at interviews said they took into consideration and lowered my needed offers and stated that i can still get in if my grades are 1-2 grades lower.

both rejected me when results came, got BCD. i did expect some type of alternative course,call or anything as i did tell them i had problems during exams. though i got that the grade were low.

I was so upset as i thought id do better but i did do reasonable for what i went through. so i went into clearing, called every russel group (including cardiff and exeter to reconsider me) and all of them rejected me.

i was giving up and managed to get a offer from bournemouth for biosciences but this course is one of the worst taught for sciences in the uk and the uni isnt up to what i wanted.

I recalled every uni that i wanted once again, like surrey, leeds, southhampton, aberdeen and all of them but still said no. Then cardiff came into play..i called them up and they said no BUT they said call again on friday 15th to see if theres still spaces as i got a B in bio, on the 14th i did call cardiff 5 times, and even spoke to the head of department for bio..still a rejection. so on the 15th i gave it one last shot at 12:30pm, i went to a ucas clearing man who was again reluctant to even consider me so i asked him, can you send me to the biology deparment and i got through..I pursaded them again but with things like let me in and ill work so hard that ill get a first (funny but i was serious and still am) and i explained my circumstances and kept nagging them when they tried to say no and refused to take no..he finally put me on hold and then agreed ! they offered any biology degree from biochem to bioengineering which was a shock, i was just happy to get a course and said bio with placement year and now i got it! i couldnt help but cry on the phone aha

now im into cardiff, first year free accommodation and a 3k bursary on top throughout the course as they thought my circumstances would allow me that !

cardiff is a really good uni, a russel group and one of the best for biology, if you want something, just keep at it! thats my story :L

post yours !

I have just done GCSES, but this is amazing. I am sorry for your situation, but as your username suggests, you CAME OUT ON TOP! :smile: I am so happy for you, WELL DONE! :smile: I wish you all the best at Cardiff <3
Reply 2
Original post by harmer1998
I have just done GCSES, but this is amazing. I am sorry for your situation, but as your username suggests, you CAME OUT ON TOP! :smile: I am so happy for you, WELL DONE! :smile: I wish you all the best at Cardiff <3

thank you! that made me smile :') i hope you did well in your gcses, concentrate in ALEVELS and i know if you try hard, you will get where you want to be, i cant wait for uni <3

Quick Reply

Latest