Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi fellow colleagues
    For my AS results I achieved a CCCD in Maths, Chemistry, Geography and Biology respectively, I missed B grades by UMS points between 6 - 10.
    I worked so hard on biology my favourite subject, and so gutted I did not get B's at least.
    I am thinking of dropping geography and am getting them all remarked in the hope that I could achieve a couple of B's so that my predicted grades could be better.
    Is there any possible way I can get into a dentistry course in university or getting into any course that will allow me to get a career into dentistry ?
    Would I be better off doing biomedical science or dental hygienist degree ?
    Or would I be better off taking a gap year.
    So confused.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Adammulji)
    Hi fellow colleagues
    For my AS results I achieved a CCCD in Maths, Chemistry, Geography and Biology respectively, I missed B grades by UMS points between 6 - 10.
    I worked so hard on biology my favourite subject, and so gutted I did not get B's at least.
    I am thinking of dropping geography and am getting them all remarked in the hope that I could achieve a couple of B's so that my predicted grades could be better.
    Is there any possible way I can get into a dentistry course in university or getting into any course that will allow me to get a career into dentistry ?
    So confused.
    Moved to Dentistry forum to help get you a response

ReputationRep:
    Hi fellow colleagues
    So confused.
    Sadly applying for 2015 dentistry is unrealistic for you because you must be predicted/achieve AAA at A2. If you could turn around your results and achieve AAA at A2 then you could apply for 2016 entry with achieved grades and take a gap year. However, given your AS results and the fact that you worked hard to get those results, this may not be achievable. Perhaps talk to your teachers????
    Some aspiring dentists do a biomedical science degree and then apply for graduate entry. I am not sure this would be best option for you because graduate entry is highly competitive and many applying will have high ranking degrees from top universities. The other option is dental hygiene and therapy degree. Therapists carry out some procedures such as simple fillings and extractions. I think that the grade requirement for courses is about BBB at A2.
    Personally I think that the best option may be to work your socks off this year to achieve the best possible results at A2 then your options will be clearer once your know your actual grades. Of course you could still apply for biomed or dental hygiene 2015 entry and if you change your mind after A level results day you can always withdraw and apply for other courses 2016 entry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsNerd1)
    Moved to Dentistry forum to help get you a response
    thank you for the advice, I will try to be more specific next time I post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lois griffin)
    Sadly applying for 2015 dentistry is unrealistic for you because you must be predicted/achieve AAA at A2. If you could turn around your results and achieve AAA at A2 then you could apply for 2016 entry with achieved grades and take a gap year. However, given your AS results and the fact that you worked hard to get those results, this may not be achievable. Perhaps talk to your teachers????
    Some aspiring dentists do a biomedical science degree and then apply for graduate entry. I am not sure this would be best option for you because graduate entry is highly competitive and many applying will have high ranking degrees from top universities. The other option is dental hygiene and therapy degree. Therapists carry out some procedures such as simple fillings and extractions. I think that the grade requirement for courses is about BBB at A2.
    Personally I think that the best option may be to work your socks off this year to achieve the best possible results at A2 then your options will be clearer once your know your actual grades. Of course you could still apply for biomed or dental hygiene 2015 entry and if you change your mind after A level results day you can always withdraw and apply for other courses 2016 entry.
    Thank you for taking the time to reply, I have spoken to my teacher at school and he has given me similar advice. I will take on board your comments and will get back to you if I need more advice.

ReputationRep:
    Guys i need help,

I got AABB at AS-level. (A in biology and chemistry) but possible A*A*A-A*AA predictions.

For gcse i got 3 A* 5 A 1 B (B in English language)

Do i meet the academic requirements and have good to adequate grades to be considered (i know they're not outstanding)

Also how do leeds look at personal statement because i heard and i quote are "personal statement nazis"

ReputationRep:
    Hi fellow colleagues
    So confused.
    Hi my name is Abida and I am in the exact situation as you. I got BBCC and have always had a passion for dentistry. my C's were extremely close. I know that there is no chance for me so i have decided to apply for pharmacy this year. then work hard to achieve AAA by retaking. I am not going to bother with remarks because its so expensive and i am going to retake it anyway. Also it would be too late as we have to apply in october. then if i don't do great i still have pharmacy. If i get AAA i will take a gap year and reapply. you can do any science degree then apply for dentistry as a graduate. right now i think its best to stay focused on exams and applying for uni's. don't feel bad about your results! do your best next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miladrises)
    Guys i need help,

I got AABB at AS-level. (A in biology and chemistry) but possible A*A*A-A*AA predictions.

For gcse i got 3 A* 5 A 1 B (B in English language)

Do i meet the academic requirements and have good to adequate grades to be considered (i know they're not outstanding)

Also how do leeds look at personal statement because i heard and i quote are "personal statement nazis"
    Your grades are fine; you don't need AAAA at AS. If you can't write a coherent personal statement saying why you want to be a dentist, you shouldn't be a dentist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pectorac)
    Your grades are fine; you don't need AAAA at AS. If you can't write a coherent personal statement saying why you want to be a dentist, you shouldn't be a dentist.
    Its just leeds is literally my only option because i got below 600 on my ukcat

ReputationRep:
    You'd better make you you spend an hour every day on it for the next week then.

ReputationRep:
    Apply to non ukcat unis...

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar position I got ABCC , A in bio , B in econ and C in chem & maths. I was quite shocked tbh don't really know what to do . Any advice ? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You did your AS - you have your A2 to go so don't worry just make sure you achieve them through working hard this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ando181)
    Apply to non ukcat unis...
    I can't because they ask for grade A in English language but i got a grade B

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.