Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking about applying to Cambridge econ. However, I heard that successful applicants got about the average of 95% UMS and my average ums is only 89.8% (93% in econ, 90.3% in FMaths, 89% in Maths and 87% in Physics) and my gcse results were 6 A*s 3As. What are chances of getting in? or would i stand a better chance if I were to apply for E&M at Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FMW96)
    I am thinking about applying to Cambridge econ. However, I heard that successful applicants got about the average of 95% UMS and my average ums is only 89.8% (93% in econ, 90.3% in FMaths, 89% in Maths and 87% in Physics) and my gcse results were 6 A*s 3As. What are chances of getting in? or would i stand a better chance if I were to apply for E&M at Oxford.
    You won't definitely get called for interview and unless your interview is outstanding then I don't see how you would get an offer, so yes your chances fare better at Oxford, where you can impress with the TSA and interview. However, your GCSEs are a bit low for it but will suffice.

ReputationRep:
    Also I am thinking about applying to lse and ucl for straight econ as well. so my five choices will be something similar to this :

1st: oxbridge? A*AA
    2nd: lse A*AA
    3rd: ucl A*AA
    4th: edinburgh AAA
    5th: Manchester or Lancaster AAB (or any other suggestions where entry requirement is AAB or below)

Do you think this is alright or is too risky with three A*AA uni on my list?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by FMW96)
    too risky with three A*AA uni on my list?
    Not at all. I'd be very surprised if you didn't get at least three offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FMW96)
    Also I am thinking about applying to lse and ucl for straight econ as well. so my five choices will be something similar to this :

1st: oxbridge? A*AA
    2nd: lse A*AA
    3rd: ucl A*AA
    4th: edinburgh AAA
    5th: Manchester or Lancaster AAB (or any other suggestions where entry requirement is AAB or below)

Do you think this is alright or is too risky with three A*AA uni on my list?
    Seems like good choices to me. You should be able to bag Edinburgh and Manchester no problem, and UCL you have a really good chance too. LSE is harder to predict but if your PS is very good then you'll get an offer. You've got an outside chance for Cambridge and a decent shot at Oxford depending on your entrance exam/interview performance. It's still definitely worth having a go at Oxbridge though.

It might be a bit risky, but that's hypocritical from me since I applied to 5 A*AA standard offer courses.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the helps. Now I am inclined slightly towards the Oxford course.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.