Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So it was A Level results day on Thursday and I was really hoping to get into my chosen university studying Biological Sciences, however my Biology grade really let me down as I ended up getting a D. Of course this really shocked me as I was predicted a B. With this D grade there was no way I could get into a Russell Group university studying Biological Sciences. I didn't end up going through with clearing because I didn't like the courses at other universities and I want to change my Biology grade, preferably to an A, I achieved a B at AS level. So I've decided to take a gap year and retake my A2 Biology modules as an external student.
    I just wanted to know if anyone else is doing this, whether it is Biology or not, or if anyone has done this in previous years and how it worked out for them, did your grade go up by quite a few grades. Also what sort of work experience does anyone suggest I do in this gap year.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I done 2 physics A2 exams externally. Wasn't the best idea as it was not a retake and I had no private tutor. They also didn't allow me to take the practical. So if you want to do the practical definitely ask about it as they might make you pay for it and not let you do it (what they did to me).

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on redoing Biology externally as well! Like you I got a B in my first year, needed an A and got a D . I think it'll be easier to redo instead of learning it from scratch. I'm also thinking of getting a tutor maybe once every few weeks just to stay on track.

I don't know if you did coursework or not but I've heard that it can be submitted to a private exam centre instead of being marked by a teacher

ReputationRep:
    I goy BCC and am going to resit the year as an external candidate. However I am mainly going to focus in the as grades with the exception of business and law where I will do both f293 and f297 for business and unit 3 aqa for law. For a2 aqa history in unit 3 I got 105/120, so I am just gonna do unit 1 history and bring my c up to an A. Might pick up politics as this year though as it's going to be a long year and I'm thinking of applying to warwick for law

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing Edexcel biology? If you find out how to get the core practicals marked let me know! :/

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing this with Bio and Chem, both OCR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paige09)
    So it was A Level results day on Thursday and I was really hoping to get into my chosen university studying Biological Sciences, however my Biology grade really let me down as I ended up getting a D. Of course this really shocked me as I was predicted a B. With this D grade there was no way I could get into a Russell Group university studying Biological Sciences. I didn't end up going through with clearing because I didn't like the courses at other universities and I want to change my Biology grade, preferably to an A, I achieved a B at AS level. So I've decided to take a gap year and retake my A2 Biology modules as an external student.
    I just wanted to know if anyone else is doing this, whether it is Biology or not, or if anyone has done this in previous years and how it worked out for them, did your grade go up by quite a few grades. Also what sort of work experience does anyone suggest I do in this gap year.
    Thanks
    Will you take 2 gap years effectively then.

How will you get offeres from russel with a d as final.

in same situation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachrl03)
    I'm planning on redoing Biology externally as well! Like you I got a B in my first year, needed an A and got a D . I think it'll be easier to redo instead of learning it from scratch. I'm also thinking of getting a tutor maybe once every few weeks just to stay on track.

I don't know if you did coursework or not but I've heard that it can be submitted to a private exam centre instead of being marked by a teacher
    Yes, I did coursework as well, but I didn't know it could be submitted privately , I'll have to ask about that. But I'm also going to get a tutor as I agree, it will help me stay on track. Also what exam board did you do, I did AQA. And good luck for your resits!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DelenaxxStelena)
    Will you take 2 gap years effectively then.

How will you get offeres from russel with a d as final.

in same situation
    No, I'm going to be resitting my A2 modules only so will only take this year, as I got a B in AS level, I can still get an A overall depending on how my resits go, which will then allow me to apply to Russell Group unis. My teachers have said that my predicted grade for Biology will be made based on my AS level grade and theyre going to take in the consideration of my resit.

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm going to be resitting my A2 modules only so will only take this year, as I got a B in AS level, I can still get an A overall depending on how my resits go, which will then allow me to apply to Russell Group unis. My teachers have said that my predicted grade for Biology will be made based on my AS level grade and theyre going to take in the consideration of my resit.
    So

year 12
    year 13
    year 14 resit privately and apply
    go uni year 15?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachrl03)
    Are you doing Edexcel biology? If you find out how to get the core practicals marked let me know! :/
    Sorry, I didn't do Edexcel, I did AQA. But good luck with your resits!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DelenaxxStelena)
    So

year 12
    year 13
    year 14 resit privately and apply
    go uni year 15?
    Yes effectively

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    OH MY GOD!!!!! The SAME thing happened to me for biology except I got an E somehow when I was meant to get a C and I applied for biomedical sciences!!! I got a D in chemistry so now I will be doing A2 chemistry resits and taking up psychology at A2 level. I have no clue what I'm doing what's your plan?!

(Original post by neal95)
    I goy BCC and am going to resit the year as an external candidate. However I am mainly going to focus in the as grades with the exception of business and law where I will do both f293 and f297 for business and unit 3 aqa for law. For a2 aqa history in unit 3 I got 105/120, so I am just gonna do unit 1 history and bring my c up to an A. Might pick up politics as this year though as it's going to be a long year and I'm thinking of applying to warwick for law
    I got BCC as well and I'm planning to retake the Cs at another college. How does externally work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CakeIsthebest)
    OH MY GOD!!!!! The SAME thing happened to me for biology except I got an E somehow when I was meant to get a C and I applied for biomedical sciences!!! I got a D in chemistry so now I will be doing A2 chemistry resits and taking up psychology at A2 level. I have no clue what I'm doing what's your plan?!
    I know exactly how you feel! Well, although I can't retake year 13 at my college (they don't allow it) they have an agreement with another school close by, where I resit my exams at this other school as an external student of my college, if that makes sense. I spoke to the head of sixth form in my college and he told me that even though I can't come in for lessons, I still have full access to the school's VLE and I can still email my teachers for help. However I may be getting a tutor as well, I would highly recommend this, if you're in the same situation as me. If it's a college sixth form you go to (not a school sixth form) they might let you resit year 13 there, but I'm not sure, you would have to ask them. I hope everything works out for you, and hope this gives you some sort of starting point as to what you'll do, all the best

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly how you feel! Well, although I can't retake year 13 at my college (they don't allow it) they have an agreement with another school close by, where I resit my exams at this other school as an external student of my college, if that makes sense. I spoke to the head of sixth form in my college and he told me that even though I can't come in for lessons, I still have full access to the school's VLE and I can still email my teachers for help. However I may be getting a tutor as well, I would highly recommend this, if you're in the same situation as me. If it's a college sixth form you go to (not a school sixth form) they might let you resit year 13 there, but I'm not sure, you would have to ask them. I hope everything works out for you, and hope this gives you some sort of starting point as to what you'll do, all the best
    So you've found a place to do your resits? I was thinking of doing it at some private centre as hardly anyone does edexcel chemistry. I've emailed a college to see if they would let me so psychology A2 but I doubt they will. This means getting a tutor would be the only option left I guess? My mates will give me their psych A2 notes so I guess that's handy. I did AQA bio too man and got straight U's this year.. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW. I'm guessing you're on good terms with your previous school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S4LM4N)
    I got BCC as well and I'm planning to retake the Cs at another college. How does externally work?
    Resitting externally is where you don't go into college for any lessons, you just resit the exams at the end of the year at another college, if you are going to do this, I would say the best thing to do is get a tutor so that you keep on track with your work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S4LM4N)
    I think I'm going to ring up UCAS tomorrow and ask them how resitting A2 works in terms of predicted grades and references and stuff. :/ so confused. Most people just resit the year after AS results which is SO much easier because they don't have to worry about UCAS stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CakeIsthebest)
    So you've found a place to do your resits? I was thinking of doing it at some private centre as hardly anyone does edexcel chemistry. I've emailed a college to see if they would let me so psychology A2 but I doubt they will. This means getting a tutor would be the only option left I guess? My mates will give me their psych A2 notes so I guess that's handy. I did AQA bio too man and got straight U's this year.. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW. I'm guessing you're on good terms with your previous school?
    Well if my college didn't do this, I could have done it at another college, however this works out better for me as my sixth form will still do all my ucas stuff for me so like references, predicted grades (I'll only need a predicted grade in my biology as I already have my A Levels for maths and chemistry) etc, and luckily the school I'll be resitting at also does AQA biology. If I were you Id talk to your college and see if they have anything like this, but hopefully the college you have emailed will allow you to do your psychology exams.

ReputationRep:
    Well if my college didn't do this, I could have done it at another college, however this works out better for me as my sixth form will still do all my ucas stuff for me so like references, predicted grades (I'll only need a predicted grade in my biology as I already have my A Levels for maths and chemistry) etc, and luckily the school I'll be resitting at also does AQA biology. If I were you Id talk to your college and see if they have anything like this, but hopefully the college you have emailed will allow you to do your psychology exams.
    Ah dude! You're so so lucky that your school will still do that for you! I'm kind of really scared of my chem teacher and I kinda got a D at AS. Would have been easier to resit the year and then i had chem resits on top of A2 and so the grade just stayed the same overall. Such a nightmare! I'm glad you have if sorted though. I've emailed my head of sixth form and psych teacher as well explaining the situation. Just waiting for responses. I hope things go well for you!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.