Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Starting to drink and go clubbing at university watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to university in September and have bought a ticket for the freshers fortnight which involves 15 nights out.

I've never had alcohol before or been clubbing, but I would like to start (my friends were never into that sort of thing, so I haven't been).

Not really sure what my point is here, but how quickly would it take you to get drunk if you'd never had alcohol before? How long does it take before you almost don't know what you're doing with yourself? I don't really want to get to that point, just to be able to relax a little bit more.

ReputationRep:
    Being as you haven't drank before, it probably wouldn't take much to get you drunk.

Just have one drink at a time and see how you feel. If you feel the room starting to spin then you know you've probably had too much. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ItsRoryG)
    Being as you haven't drank before, it probably wouldn't take much to get you drunk.

Just have one drink at a time and see how you feel. If you feel the room starting to spin then you know you've probably had too much. :yy:
    I'm also interested in this, It's all good saying 1 drink but every drink has different alcohol content so what drink would you suggest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confusedstudent8)
    I'm going to university in September and have bought a ticket for the freshers fortnight which involves 15 nights out.

I've never had alcohol before or been clubbing, but I would like to start (my friends were never into that sort of thing, so I haven't been).

Not really sure what my point is here, but how quickly would it take you to get drunk if you'd never had alcohol before? How long does it take before you almost don't know what you're doing with yourself? I don't really want to get to that point, just to be able to relax a little bit more.
    (Original post by Ruffiio)
    I'm also interested in this, It's all good saying 1 drink but every drink has different alcohol content so what drink would you suggest?
    If you've never consumed alcohol before then I would say about 1-2 drinks of beer would start to make you tipsy.

What you drink depends on what's available. It may be Fosters, Carlsberg, Heineken or something similar. I would however strong suggest you don't start with shots as your first alcohol experience!

ReputationRep:
    its not gonna take a lot to get you drunk if its your first time, just stick to bottles (budweiser and calsberg for example) and single mixers (jd coke, vodka coke are some examples but there are plenty more options)

make sure you eat some food before you go out, maybe a few slices of toast just to soak up the initial drinks. Also drink slowly and dont down your drink straight away, just sip and pace yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruffiio)
    If you've never drank before then you won't know what you like (especially taste wise)! Personally I hate the taste of beer/lager so I stick to spirits or cider. Spirits are obviously going to be a lot stronger than beer or lager, so moderate how much you have really. Mix it with something like cola, orange juice or whatever takes your fancy.

Try beer or larger first, and see if you like the taste :^_^:

ReputationRep:
    ye if you go to the pub and want to ease your self in to beer I would say try something like a larger and lime witch is slightly less than a pint of larger that is toped up with lime juice or a Guinness and black witch is the same except with Guinness and blackcurrant juice. but in a club you might not be able to get that so maybe a mixer but just a single measure

ReputationRep:
    Take it nice and slow and stick to bottles. Usually for someone who has never drunk alcohol before it takes 1-3 drinks to get you tipsy and you'll know your tipsy when the room starts to look like its spinning slightly.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you do don't feel pressured into drinking, but if you're going to do it try sticking to one drink every 30-45 minutes and waiting for it to take effect before ordering your next.
    Usually it'll take around 5-10 minutes for a drink to kick in, and I'd advise staying clear of shots and other hard spirits if you're not a seasoned drinker.

ReputationRep:
    Biggest tip I can give you is drink half a glass of milk before you drink ANY alcohol. People may laugh.. (and they do laugh when I turn up to parties drinking a carton of milk instead of a bottle of beer) but its essential in handling the 'not throwing up over everyone, yourself and probably getting kicked out of the bar/club/pub' aspect of drinking. Trust me, works for me 100% of the time.

ReputationRep:
    just a tip, as an inexperienced drinker, try to avoid mixing drinks - vodka with lager for example

try to stick to one thing, because mixing drinks can make you throw up

ReputationRep:
    drink lots of milk
    jagerbombs, lots of them will do
    ???
    cheese

ReputationRep:
    As someone said before me, try not to mix a lot of spirits with beer/wine/cider if you don't want to throw up. I learnt this the hard way....

Intersperse alcoholic drinks with soft drinks towards the end of the night,of from the start really if you want to pace yourself

Go to bed drunk...worse hangover. Try sobering up a bit by eating something and drinking a lot of water. Walking home is the best way to sober up

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamu)
    drink lots of milk
    jagerbombs, lots of them will do
    ???
    cheese
    This guy knows, milk is the key. The real key.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be drinking or clubbing at university. I'm just not that sort of person. I enjoy reading, quietness, yoga and knitting. Will I fit in at uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Start drinking now so you know what being drunk feels like. You don't want to be in a situation where you're standing in line for a 'boat race' or being handed shots left right and centre without having had prior exposure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hitashami)
    I wouldn't be drinking or clubbing at university. I'm just not that sort of person. I enjoy reading, quietness, yoga and knitting. Will I fit in at uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confusedstudent8)

(Original post by Hitashami)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm in the same position as you two, my plan is to get a vodka and orange juice as you cant taste the vodka and orange juice tastes nice, then just slowly sip that same drink all night and just make it last and take in slowly, also I only plan to go out one or maximum two nights a week on the weekend I do not plan to get drunk or go out every night. There are lost of people that are similar to us and I'm sure you will find them. Good luck with freshers! we will need it....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesome-o)
    No.
    But why :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    double jd and coke

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.