Turn on thread page Beta

SFE just took away my grant? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm about to start my second year at university in October, and student finance have taken away my maintenance grant on the 14th August. I received a letter on the 4th August saying I was able to have a grant equal to £3387, but on the 14th August, SFE have updated this so that I receive a grant of £0, but I still have the loan available to me. This update was after I sent in my declaration form, and my status is now 'payments scheduled'. Since this doesn't even cover my rent for next year, unless this is sorted I will have no choice but to drop out.

Does anyone know why this happened, or what can be done to fix it?

ReputationRep:
    Has your financial situation changed?

ReputationRep:
    That's terribly frightening for you. Call them, theyre open tmrw. It could be your or your parents finances changing? Hope you get a positive solution.

ReputationRep:
    My mum recently has taken up a full time study in Birmingham, fully funded by the university - but this wouldn't have put my family income over the £25,000 mark.

ReputationRep:
    You should contact them explaining this situation and they should reinstate it, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrono5)
    My mum recently has taken up a full time study in Birmingham, fully funded by the university - but this wouldn't have put my family income over the £25,000 mark.
    Is she getting any bursaries or grants?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revel)
    Is she getting any bursaries or grants?
    None from SFE.

ReputationRep:
    None from SFE.
    From the university.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you didn't get into your firm choice?

Livings costs will vary between place to place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revel)
    From the university.
    Yes, a bursary of about £12k.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, a bursary of about £12k.
    I'm pretty sure it counts as income. Give SFE a ring ASAP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sayonara)
    Maybe you didn't get into your firm choice?

Livings costs will vary between place to place.
    Firm choice? I was under the impression OP is at the same uni, just going into second year. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mochassassin)
    Firm choice? I was under the impression OP is at the same uni, just going into second year. :confused:
    I am going into my second year; I think this poster misread what I wrote

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revel)
    I'm pretty sure it counts as income. Give SFE a ring ASAP.
    Yeah, I intend to do this tomorrow! I was under the impression that the grant/loan amount is based off of the earnings last year, not expected income this coming year. And either way, £12,000 is surely enough to qualify for the full loan and grant.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure that they're not just changing it from a grant to a loan?

A grant is something you don't have to pay back, you do have to pay back a loan. Perhaps they are still giving you 3.5k as a loan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeicesterStudent)
    Are you sure that they're not just changing it from a grant to a loan?

A grant is something you don't have to pay back, you do have to pay back a loan. Perhaps they are still giving you 3.5k as a loan.
    I am sure. In the letter they sent titled 'your student finance breakdown', the loan is the same as it was, but the grant has gone completely, and the total amount paid to me has also decreased by the value of the grant.

And they are still giving me a loan of £3600, but that is not nearly enough to cover my expenses.

ReputationRep:
    I am sure. In the letter they sent titled 'your student finance breakdown', the loan is the same as it was, but the grant has gone completely, and the total amount paid to me has also decreased by the value of the grant.

And they are still giving me a loan of £3600, but that is not nearly enough to cover my expenses.
    That is rather worrying. It sounds like their **** up. They **** up a lot, it's probably nothing to worry about. Give them a call tomorrow and I'm sure an incomprehensible glaswegian will sort you out.

I'm getting ****ing sick of SFE. They have one job, and they continually manage to botch it, every single year. So many people I know have gone through really stressful situations because of them. It's simply not good enough when dealing with the financial and psychological stability of young people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeicesterStudent)
    That is rather worrying. It sounds like their **** up. They **** up a lot, it's probably nothing to worry about. Give them a call tomorrow and I'm sure an incomprehensible glaswegian will sort you out.

I'm getting ****ing sick of SFE. They have one job, and they continually manage to botch it, every single year. So many people I know have gone through really stressful situations because of them. It's simply not good enough when dealing with the financial and psychological stability of young people.
    Okay, thanks for the reassurance. As long as SFE stick to their own T&Cs this should be sorted in time, I hope.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.