Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I want to do medicine. But I have literally failed my A Levels. Got B in Biology, D in Maths and D in Chemistry (overall grades). I am planning to retake this year (complete them in 1 year) and in the same year apply to universities all over again. I am taking the BMAT and UKCAT too hopefully around October/November this year.

My main question is: on UCAS, when it comes to declaring grades what do I put? In Biology, I will only be retaking A2 this year so do I still have to put the A2 results I already got? In Maths I'll be retaking 4 modules: I got A's in C1 and C2 and an E in S1, E in M1, E in C3 and D in C4. So what would I put as my AS grade for maths on UCAS? And do I need to declare A2 results? Since I did M1 in my A2 year, would my A2 grade be an average of C3, C4 and M1 and for AS, an average of the rest?
    For chemistry, I'm planning on retakign the whole A Level with a completely new exam board. So does my old A Level still have to be declared and do the grades need to be declared?

Also how do you think universities will look at all of this - do you think there is any point in trying for medicine again? Where can I explain to them about my situation in terms of all of these retakes and everything? I've heard you need to put it on your personal statement but surely the PS is too limited anyway to fit in something like this..would it need to be in a reference or some other section that teachers can fill out??

Has anyone been in/is in similar situation? I am so confused and lost and would love some help and advice!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in somewhat of a same situation myself having got EDDD in my AS level, i really want to go university next year but have no idea how to do the ucas process. Guess for me its going to be resitting modules along side my A2's.

ReputationRep:
    Have you thought about doing an access to medicine course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but you didn't 'literally' fail your A levels, that would mean getting all U's

Retaking without extenuating circumstances puts you at a very big disadvantage for undergrad medicine. Is there a reason you under performed? Were those a lot lower than your predicted grades?

Take a look at this:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...Resit_Policies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luminique)
    Ok so I want to do medicine. But I have literally failed my A Levels. Got B in Biology, D in Maths and D in Chemistry (overall grades). I am planning to retake this year (complete them in 1 year) and in the same year apply to universities all over again. I am taking the BMAT and UKCAT too hopefully around October/November this year.

My main question is: on UCAS, when it comes to declaring grades what do I put? In Biology, I will only be retaking A2 this year so do I still have to put the A2 results I already got? In Maths I'll be retaking 4 modules: I got A's in C1 and C2 and an E in S1, E in M1, E in C3 and D in C4. So what would I put as my AS grade for maths on UCAS? And do I need to declare A2 results? Since I did M1 in my A2 year, would my A2 grade be an average of C3, C4 and M1 and for AS, an average of the rest?
    For chemistry, I'm planning on retakign the whole A Level with a completely new exam board. So does my old A Level still have to be declared and do the grades need to be declared?

Also how do you think universities will look at all of this - do you think there is any point in trying for medicine again? Where can I explain to them about my situation in terms of all of these retakes and everything? I've heard you need to put it on your personal statement but surely the PS is too limited anyway to fit in something like this..would it need to be in a reference or some other section that teachers can fill out??

Has anyone been in/is in similar situation? I am so confused and lost and would love some help and advice!!!
    Unfortunately, you need to declare all of your AS and A2 results - even if you are resitting. And as H3isenberg said, universities do not like resit applicants when it comes to Medicine.

ReputationRep:
    If you are resitting and applying for medicine.
    Make sure you get work experience in that same year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revel)
    Unfortunately, you need to declare all of your AS and A2 results - even if you are resitting. And as H3isenberg said, universities do not like resit applicants when it comes to Medicine.
    Did that post honestly add anything apart from trying to make OP feel dejected?

OP can turn it around if they really try, stop being so defeatist.

ReputationRep:
    sorry but I highly doubt any uni would take you seriously with those grades for medicine, if you really are intent on doing medicine your best bet would be to retake all the bad modules etc this year and get A's and A*s, have a gap year and then apply so you will have decent grades on your application. it depends whether you seriously think you're capable and have the work ethic to achieve those grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeicesterStudent)

there's no point being unrealistic either though

ReputationRep:

I know this is going to be difficult for you, but the truth is that you stand virtually no chance now of getting a medical school to take you seriously as an undergraduate applicant. I wouldn't waste your money or effort on taking the BMAT and UKCAT. If you don't believe me, then ring a few medical schools in a week or two and ask them what they think.

Whatever course you apply for, you will need to declare all qualifications - AS and A2 achieved, as well as any resits, whether with the same exam board or not. You won't need to use valuable space in your PS to explain this, as it will be clear from the qualifications section which exams you have resat or intend to resit.

My advice to you would be to take some time to think through what you would like to do instead of medicine. It may be appropriate to resit your exams as you describe, to improve your grades with a view to applying for other courses. You might consider other fields in healthcare, for instance.

Of course you are disappointed, but don't make it more difficult for yourself by chasing rainbows. Better to regroup and move on.

Unfortunately that user was correct - the OP will have to declare all results, and this will be a difficulty for him in the context of applying for medicine. Whether you like it or not - and the OP did ask the direct question, so he has had a direct answer - medical schools nearly all refuse to consider anyone who has resat their exams, unless there were extenuating circumstances - and those have to be significant and backed up by evidence.

ReputationRep:
    Positive attitude always helps when staring at the ugly reality. Yes, medical universities don't often consider resitters. But there are always other ways, if you really badly want this. Research options to go abroad. That's so easy nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    I too feel as though I'm set to fail my medical application to any unis,
    I've got (AS level):
    A in maths
    B in further maths
    C in biology
    C in chemistry
    D in spanish

720 and band 1 for my UKCAT

Is there any chance of me getting into a medicine course if my referral teacher explains I was unwell for my paper 2s for my science and spanish which caused my low grades and would make my AAA prediction realistic?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eaaasy_way_in)
    Positive attitude always helps when staring at the ugly reality. Yes, medical universities don't often consider resitters. But there are always other ways, if you really badly want this. Research options to go abroad. That's so easy nowadays.
    But may not result in eligibility to practice in this country, aside from being massively expensive with no access to loans etc.

(Original post by ABit97)
    I've got (AS level):
    A in maths
    B in further maths
    C in biology
    C in chemistry
    D in spanish

Is there any chance of me getting into a medicine course if my referral teacher explains I was unwell for my paper 2s for my science and spanish which caused my low grades and would make my AAA prediction realistic?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Certainly it would be important for your reference to convincingly explain the gap between actual AS and predicted A level grades. You would be well-advised to apply to medical schools that pay particular attention to UKCAT scores (assuming Band 1 etc is good).

ReputationRep:

1) No you haven't "literally" failed your A levels. "Literally" failing would be achieving all U grades.

2) On UCAS you have to declare all A to E grades you have achieved, no matter whether you are planning to resit modules or not. So essentially unless it is a U then you have to declare it.

3) Yes you do have to declare your Chemistry result even if you are retaking the entire A level with a different exam board.

4) Is it worth applying again? Yes. Have your chances of getting in been severely reduced by retaking the year? Yes.
    While you have not made it impossible to get in you have made it extremely difficult for yourself. Even if you get all of your grades up to A* the fact of the matter is that you'll be against a huge number of candidates who have achieved the same grades without having to take 3 years to do so. Unless your application is outstanding in other ways then you will stand very little chance of getting a place to study Medicine anywhere.

ReputationRep:

Grow up.

The OP asked a question and Revel gave an honest answer.

The fact of the matter is that the OP has probably blown their chances of getting accepted to study Medicine anywhere in this country. What is wrong with giving the OP that answer straight instead of blowing a load of smoke up their ass to try and make them feel better.

Sure we could tell the OP that it doesn't matter, that if they knuckle down and work hard they have a great chance of getting in, but what's the point? Why give somebody false hope if that's all it is, false.

However, just to avoid you feeling left out, I have something to give to you:

ReputationRep:
    Medicine is super competitive, I wish you all the best in retaking your exams- good luck :-)
    ps you didn't exactly fail, a B is still very good and it's an E to pass so you're not far away from your dream to get into med school. Keep going :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

When people ask for advice two people saying the same thing gives more credence than one, so to agree with someone's post certainly is helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABit97)
    I've got (AS level):
    A in maths
    B in further maths
    C in biology
    C in chemistry
    D in spanish

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, will be fine. Plenty of schools don't even look at AS. Do you have good GCSE's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    Grow up.

The OP asked a question and Revel gave an honest answer.

The fact of the matter is that the OP has probably blown their chances of getting accepted to study Medicine anywhere in this country. What is wrong with giving the OP that answer straight instead of blowing a load of smoke up their ass to try and make them feel better.

Sure we could tell the OP that it doesn't matter, that if they knuckle down and work hard they have a great chance of getting in, but what's the point? Why give somebody false hope if that's all it is, false.

However, just to avoid you feeling left out, I have something to give to you:

Top notch banter. Impressive.

ReputationRep:
    All medical schools are highly competitive. So the harsh reality is you probably won't get in, and you will have a difficult time even being shortlisted. Med schools do not like resits. You would have to have pretty extenuating circumstances for them to accept a resit.

Access to medicine is not an alternate route. Access is for when you haven't had the opportunity to study the first time find, which you have had.

Even for the allied health professions, it's likely those grades aren't good enough either.

Maybe a realistic think is in order. Rubbish to hear, I know, but there is more out there.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.