ReputationRep:
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by CaitlinDy)
    Hi I really need some advice.

My dad is Irish and was brought up in a really catholic family so obviously he wants me to be religious. I've been made to go to church for my whole life and now I am sick of it- I know I'm an atheist.

I don't believe in a god or any of the religious views (gay marriage etc.) so why force me into religion? Not even the own ambassadors follow the rules with priests who are meant to be celibate sexually harassing children. Is this where I want to be? No.

I have tried to tell my dad subtly that I don't believe in a god and I'd like to dissociate myself from religion but his ignorance is causing him to ignore me.
    I'm 17; I can move out, have kids, vote in the Scottish independence referendum and drive so why can't I decide my religious views?

It's really frustrating to the point of tears and I cannot be doing with this seemingly cult-like interference in my life when I do not share the same views as people in church.
    Surely it's denying me my right to exercise free thought? It is unjust.

And please, nobody try to shove me into religion, I've suffered enough of being told I'm a "sinner" and I'm "going to hell" I cannot endure any of it.

Please help

I get ya. As a child I went to church every Sunday. I also went to church of England school which had an assembly everyday#

If you have tried sitting down with him and explaining it.. then I hate to say it but refuse to go to church.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I really need some advice.

My dad is Irish and was brought up in a really catholic family so obviously he wants me to be religious. I've been made to go to church for my whole life and now I am sick of it- I know I'm an atheist.

I don't believe in a god or any of the religious views (gay marriage etc.) so why force me into religion? Not even the own ambassadors follow the rules with priests who are meant to be celibate sexually harassing children. Is this where I want to be? No.

I have tried to tell my dad subtly that I don't believe in a god and I'd like to dissociate myself from religion but his ignorance is causing him to ignore me.
    I'm 17; I can move out, have kids, vote in the Scottish independence referendum and drive so why can't I decide my religious views?

It's really frustrating to the point of tears and I cannot be doing with this seemingly cult-like interference in my life when I do not share the same views as people in church.
    Surely it's denying me my right to exercise free thought? It is unjust.

And please, nobody try to shove me into religion, I've suffered enough of being told I'm a "sinner" and I'm "going to hell" I cannot endure any of it.

Please help

Hi,
    I was raised a catholic with a Father who was an evangelical Christian.
    I was always forced to go to church and as I got older (I'm only 18 now) I started to lose faith in theism until I turned about 16 and a lot of things happened to me which prompted me to put all my faith in God.
    I know what it feels like to be forced into believing something you don't. It's tough.

I'm totally against Catholicism. For me personally, it's a really odd take on Christianity.
    For you, you're totally not for Christianity at all. That's fine!
    Personally, I would endure it for the time being. Once you hit 18, go to uni (if you're going) it's pretty crazy for them to still force you into it. However, I think coming back to your parents and declaring proudly you're an atheist isn't the wisest decision though. For parents to have their children revolt against their own beliefs etc can be difficult for them, and for you saying your Father is an Irish Catholic..I don't think that needs explaining.

A lot of parents will "deny your right to exercise free thought" as you put it. My parents still impose ideals and beliefs on me that I think are nonsense. But I tolerate them because I live in their house (I am leaving for uni soon though, yay).
    There will come a time when you will have to make it clear that you don't believe in God. You don't have to put down theirs or anyone else's belief though. It should work on a basis where we all respect each others beliefs..I think we are far from that though.

I hope you are able to freely express as an Atheist in the future and not fear the disapproval of the people that are so close to you at some point in your life.

Be brave

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty, i get it. Its hard especially if you have parents who are highly religious who have had the ideas and deologies ingrained in them. I've come to realize that I might not be religious but i'm spiritual. I dont agree with most of the beliefs since they are mostly hypocritical and mean but I've come to find out that its not the religion but its the followers that make me uncomfortable. Maybe its the same for you to.

Give your dad sometime. Its a big step: going to church with your kid for so long and then they tell you they are an atheist. He probably thinks its a phase or something. WHo knows. Maybe you just need some time to figure yourself and your faith out. I dont share like 50% of the views of my other family who is tremendously religious as well (nigerian so yeah) but its okat. Its confusing but its fine.

Give him sometime. He'll come around or calm down. If he doesn't, then maybe you can talk to another member of your family who isn't so stoutly religious and maybe they can talk to him. And if anybody tells you youre going to hell or tries to act all "perfect christian", tell them cursing someone isnt very "christian" of them, so you might just see them there as well.

ReputationRep:
    If he's the type of parent that will just kick you out for not believing, you're better off moving out when possible. Test the waters by asking questions relating to 'your atheist friend' at school or something. If he starts badmouthing your 'friend' then it's probably not worth confronting him. If he says something along the lines of 'his choice, not my problem' then that's another story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanSavedLatin)
    Hi,
    I was raised a catholic with a Father who was an evangelical Christian.
    I was always forced to go to church and as I got older (I'm only 18 now) I started to lose faith in theism until I turned about 16 and a lot of things happened to me which prompted me to put all my faith in God.
    I know what it feels like to be forced into believing something you don't. It's tough.

I'm totally against Catholicism. For me personally, it's a really odd take on Christianity.
    For you, you're totally not for Christianity at all. That's fine!
    Personally, I would endure it for the time being. Once you hit 18, go to uni (if you're going) it's pretty crazy for them to still force you into it. However, I think coming back to your parents and declaring proudly you're an atheist isn't the wisest decision though. For parents to have their children revolt against their own beliefs etc can be difficult for them, and for you saying your Father is an Irish Catholic..I don't think that needs explaining.

A lot of parents will "deny your right to exercise free thought" as you put it. My parents still impose ideals and beliefs on me that I think are nonsense. But I tolerate them because I live in their house (I am leaving for uni soon though, yay).
    There will come a time when you will have to make it clear that you don't believe in God. You don't have to put down theirs or anyone else's belief though. It should work on a basis where we all respect each others beliefs..I think we are far from that though.

I hope you are able to freely express as an Atheist in the future and not fear the disapproval of the people that are so close to you at some point in your life.

Be brave
    Thanks, I've got a year until I go to uni, once my brother left the house he never went to church again and my dad was pretty irritated with him.
    I didn't declare my atheism as such, I expressed my views against the insane beliefs of catholics and the fact that there is nothing about religion which appeals to me.
    I was forced to go to Lourdes on a holy pilgrimage at the beginning of summer which really got to me as my parents have never done it themselves.

It is incredibly frustrating

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpoplover101)
    In all honesty, i get it. Its hard especially if you have parents who are highly religious who have had the ideas and deologies ingrained in them. I've come to realize that I might not be religious but i'm spiritual. I dont agree with most of the beliefs since they are mostly hypocritical and mean but I've come to find out that its not the religion but its the followers that make me uncomfortable. Maybe its the same for you to.

Give your dad sometime. Its a big step: going to church with your kid for so long and then they tell you they are an atheist. He probably thinks its a phase or something. WHo knows. Maybe you just need some time to figure yourself and your faith out. I dont share like 50% of the views of my other family who is tremendously religious as well (nigerian so yeah) but its okat. Its confusing but its fine.

Give him sometime. He'll come around or calm down. If he doesn't, then maybe you can talk to another member of your family who isn't so stoutly religious and maybe they can talk to him. And if anybody tells you youre going to hell or tries to act all "perfect christian", tell them cursing someone isnt very "christian" of them, so you might just see them there as well.
    I've attempted to express my beliefs for two years now. My father himself isn't a stranger to swearing and betting so he's pretty bad at following the rules in which he believes.
    I am totally pro-science and it leaves me speechless how I am being told evolution isn't real, of how god created the earth in seven days and he created the universe. It doesn't add up for me and the whole uncertainty about god makes me uncomfortable as I think there is a logical, physics-based reason for the occurrence of all events.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8472)
    I get ya. As a child I went to church every Sunday. I also went to church of England school which had an assembly everyday#

If you have tried sitting down with him and explaining it.. then I hate to say it but refuse to go to church.
    That's been attempted with adverse effects

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've attempted to express my beliefs for two years now. My father himself isn't a stranger to swearing and betting so he's pretty bad at following the rules in which he believes.
    I am totally pro-science and it leaves me speechless how I am being told evolution isn't real, of how god created the earth in seven days and he created the universe. It doesn't add up for me and the whole uncertainty about god makes me uncomfortable as I think there is a logical, physics-based reason for the occurrence of all events.
    Looks like you're dealing with a young earth creationist. I wouldn't bother confronting because it's like talking to a brick wall (no offence intended).

If you try to explain evolution to a YEC, they will just dismiss it because they're convinced that everything that contradicts the Bible must be wrong. I've never heard of a Catholic taking a literal interpretation of genesis though - that is rather unusual.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I can relate as I went to a religious boarding school. We had 'assemblies' everyday, where I had to sit for half an hour and listen to speeches on omnipotence of God, how we should all be very very very grateful to him and follow the light of Jesus. I told my school in the nicest way possible way that, I really didn't want to go to these assemblies as, I not only didn't believe in most of what was being said, I was sternly against some of it. They ignored me of course. Like some of the people here have suggested I tried to be patient and simply wait till I graduated, but after about a year of it I just couldn't take it anymore. I printed the section of the human rights act concerned with freedom of thought, belief and religion and highlighted the relevant parts. In the morning when my housemistress threatened to punish me for not going, I just handed her the papers and said I wouldn't be going and she had nor right to make me and that was the end of it. In summary, a proper confrontation might be more effective though, depending on your parents this might get you in trouble.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.