The Student Room Group

Question for Y12 & Y13?

Hi, I'll be beginning my A-Level studies soon and was wondering how you guys took your notes in class, for example, did you have four separate note books for each subject?

Thank You!
You are going to most likely get SO many different answers for this...but I personally was forced into using ring binders for all subjects except for maths. I would personally get a refill pad and binders.
Depending on the subject, I have work books for the class based notes and am expected to use a separate work book outside of the classes. In the other subjects, I am expected to have a dedicated work book for each module.

On top of that, I am expected to give in my notes occasionally to prove that my note taking is up to scratch so if you go to a college like mine then make sure that your notes are detailed.

Like the first answer, I would urge you to buy at least one ring binder for each subject and at least one A4 refill pads for each module.
Reply 3
Thanks guys!

Anymore advice?
Reply 4
I had four small folders for each of my subjects then a couple of big ring binders at home to transfer stuff to when they got full. I liked that system but it's not for everyone.

Most of my friends just carried round one big ring binder but it wouldn't fit int their bags so I wouldn't like that
I had one refill pad for all my subjects, then when I got home each day transferred my notes into the right folder (one folder for each subject), I walk to school so don't want a really heavy bag. It worked ok :smile:
Personally I used a lever arch file with a different section for each subject. I saw people in my year carrying around four separate folders and it looked painful. Keep a notebook [I just got the ones from WHSmith bc they are the b e s t] in the front of your folder so you always have enough paper, and after each term file the work from that term away in your room/somewhere safe so you have enough room but still have everything ready to revise from later. I remember how much I had to file away after Christmas. Wow. Organisation is vvvvvv important so just keep on top of everything! Good lucccck
Reply 7
I used lever arch file for the essay subjects and ring binder for maths. I filled them all up. Oh and lots of refill pads, dividers for each topic, plastic wallets and spec at the beginning of each folder.
Original post by Dhibla
I used lever arch file for the essay subjects and ring binder for maths. I filled them all up. Oh and lots of refill pads, dividers for each topic, plastic wallets and spec at the beginning of each folder.

I kept maths in my level arch file with everything else, I just used square paper instead of lined c:
Reply 9
Did you guys carry a note pad for each of your subjects (4)? Or write your notes in one note pad?
Reply 10
I bought a pack of 50 A4 orange exercise books off the internet and had one for each teacher per unit for Biology, Chemistry and Physics (and just brought in the 3 exercise books that were relevant to the teachers I had that day and kept full ones at home), and then one for general classwork e.g. topic vocab, grammar, discursive essays and literary essays for Russian (and the book I brought into school each day depended on what we were doing each lesson e.g. we did grammar on Mondays, topic work on Tuesday etc.) :smile:
Reply 11
Did you guys carry a note pad for each of your subjects (4)? Or write your notes in one note pad?

I can't really comment for myself as I use my tablet to take all my notes, apart from maths! But my super-organised friend uses a a separate notepad for each subject, and I think without my tablet that's what I'd do as well (with a ring binder for maths, maybe).
I used a laptop for the most part - but I did bring a notepad for occasions that required it. I suppose it depends on what subjects you're taking - for subjects like maths, a laptop is a bit useless.

Quick Reply

Latest