Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm beginning university mid/end september, my place has been confirmed after I met my offer.

I want to buy a MacBook for university but am unsure of how the whole process works with the Apple discount for Uni students. Looking on the apple store website, you need to have a university email or log into the university portal which I obviously don't have yet. I don't want to order one when I'm actually at uni as I want to get everything ready and prepared.
    Can I go to an actual Apple store with my letters for my offer/confirming my place and results sheet and will that allow me to get the discount?

Also, can anyone tell me what the prices are because I can't actually see them because again I don't have access to the Apple Education store because I'm not actually at the university yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laym)
    I'm beginning university mid/end september, my place has been confirmed after I met my offer.

I want to buy a MacBook for university but am unsure of how the whole process works with the Apple discount for Uni students. Looking on the apple store website, you need to have a university email or log into the university portal which I obviously don't have yet. I don't want to order one when I'm actually at uni as I want to get everything ready and prepared.
    Can I go to an actual Apple store with my letters for my offer/confirming my place and results sheet and will that allow me to get the discount?

Also, can anyone tell me what the prices are because I can't actually see them because again I don't have access to the Apple Education store because I'm not actually at the university yet

Unfortunately you are right, you can only use the discount once you enrol into uni and get your email etc. it's usually up to 15%. Tell me what spec and size laptop you want and I'll tell you how much it is with the discount.

ReputationRep:
    Here you go...

http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000840

You can thank me later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OJM32)
    Unfortunately you are right, you can only use the discount once you enrol into uni and get your email etc. it's usually up to 15%. Tell me what spec and size laptop you want and I'll tell you how much it is with the discount.
    Ah that sucks, I read on here that they let you get the discount if you show proof that you met your offer or something, but I'm undecided between the Macbook air or pro. Just the cheapest one of each, I'm not too bothered about specs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laym)
    Ah that sucks, I read on here that they let you get the discount if you show proof that you met your offer or something, but I'm undecided between the Macbook air or pro. Just the cheapest one of each, I'm not too bothered about specs

Follow my link mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by godd)
    Here you go...

http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000840

You can thank me later.
    I'm kind of worried that they might catch me out for this, will it be fine to use this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laym)
    I'm kind of worried that they might catch me out for this, will it be fine to use this?

No, you can prove your a student.

There is a portal for every uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laym)
    MacBook Pro
    13-inch: 2.5GHz
    Specifications
    2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
    4GB 1600MHz memory
    500GB 5400-rpm hard drive1
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Built-in battery (7 hours)2
    Dispatched:
    Within 24 hours
    Free Delivery
    £772.80
    Includes a £60 Apple Store Gift Card

MacBook Air
    11-inch : 128GB
    Specifications
    1.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
    Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz
    Intel HD Graphics 5000
    4GB memory
    128GB PCIe-based flash storage1
    Dispatched:
    Within 24 hours
    Free Delivery
    £644.40

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OJM32)

MacBook Pro
    13-inch: 2.5GHz
    Specifications
    2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
    4GB 1600MHz memory
    500GB 5400-rpm hard drive1
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Built-in battery (7 hours)2
    Dispatched:
    Within 24 hours
    Free Delivery
    £772.80

MacBook Air
    11-inch : 128GB
    Specifications
    1.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
    Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz
    Intel HD Graphics 5000
    4GB memory
    128GB PCIe-based flash storage1
    Dispatched:
    Within 24 hours
    Free Delivery
    £644.40

Will you be carrying it into uni every day - Air - much lighter

Will you want to watch DvDs - Pro - the air does not have a drive
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I bought an iPad Mini on results day and went into an Apple Store I live near. I just showed them my UCAS email which confirmed my unconditional offer and they gave me the, albeit small, discount. I got a £30 Apple voucher though which was a nice bonus.

ReputationRep:
    You get discounts on Apples.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laym)

I got a macbook air on results day and literally just took my UCAS confirmation letter and everything was fine. 15% off the macbook, 70% off extended warranty and a free £60 gift card, which i spent on office (word etc). My macbook air 13" ended up costing around £770 instead of the £1000+ it would have cost without student discount!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauraaaaa)
    I got a macbook air on results day and literally just took my UCAS confirmation letter and everything was fine. 15% off the macbook, 70% off extended warranty and a free £60 gift card, which i spent on office (word etc). My macbook air 13" ended up costing around £770 instead of the £1000+ it would have cost without student discount!
    Hi did you go into the store to do this? And what letter was it? The one emailed to us after getting on the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lookovertherez)
    Hi did you go into the store to do this? And what letter was it? The one emailed to us after getting on the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah i just went to the store at the local shopping centre, and printed out my confirmation letter from ucas, underneath where it says 'your place to study ________ at ________ has been confirmed', there should be a button that says confirmation letter. i just printed that out, but there were people just showing them on their phones

ReputationRep:
    I did the same, got a macbook pro on results day with a printed copy of my AS12 letter, it was all fine (using it now and I love it haha)

ReputationRep:
    Sweet, I'll just go to the Apple store this week then as I'm still undecided between Air and Pro and will get the chance to look at each one in-store.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laym)
    Sweet, I'll just go to the Apple store this week then as I'm still undecided between Air and Pro and will get the chance to look at each one in-store.
    Unless you're doing a graphics heavy course or wanting a lot of gaming then go with the air because the pro is a bit ott for everything else!

ReputationRep:
    I just graduated and I'm starting my phd in October and decided I wanted a macbook. I walked into apple with no proof of being a student as my student card became invalid on 1st July and no proof that I was starting a post grad course. I just said to the guy "oh I'm doing a phd and want a macbook for it" and he knocked my macbook air down to £729 and gave me a £60 store voucher.

It's not hard at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I bought mine over the phone. I took a picture of my ucas letter on my phone and emailed it to the sales rep I think I did it over the phone for the Applecare deal, which I don't think you can get in store.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.