The Student Room Group

What is further additional science?

So I have been looking on exam board GCSE timetables for June 2015 and on the 19th of June there is a 'further additional science' I have never heard of it before and I'm pretty sure I haven't been told that I will be doing this exam. I did two core science GCSE's earlier this summer so that I don't have as many exams next year, I know that next year I will be doing additional science exams but I don't know anything about this further additional science. What is it and does every student do this exam?
Original post by Aims753
So I have been looking on exam board GCSE timetables for June 2015 and on the 19th of June there is a 'further additional science' I have never heard of it before and I'm pretty sure I haven't been told that I will be doing this exam. I did two core science GCSE's earlier this summer so that I don't have as many exams next year, I know that next year I will be doing additional science exams but I don't know anything about this further additional science. What is it and does every student do this exam?

further additional is part of triple award science. If you only do core and additional then you only do double award science.
Not every student does this exam. In my school, only top set do triple but in others schools, you have a choice whether you want to do triple (which means core, additional, further additional) for 3 GCSEs instead of the normal 2 (Double award)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Angelo12231
further additional is part of triple award science. If you only do core and additional then you only do double award science.
Not every student does this exam. In my school, only top set do triple but in others schools, you have a choice whether you want to do triple (which means core, additional, further additional) for 3 GCSEs instead of the normal 2 (Double award)

My school is the same as yours, I'm in set two so does that mean I won't do the further additional science?
Original post by Aims753
My school is the same as yours, I'm in set two so does that mean I won't do the further additional science?

I would ask your teachers, but if it was made clear that you will only do additional in year 11, then you probably won't do further additional. Do clarify though.
Hey :smile: which exam board are you on? I did triple science on wjec in June (results next Thursday aah) but I think it's the same across aqa and edexcel at least. Basically in order to get double science-three sciences, two gcses, you do the standard 'science' paper and '''additional science'. To get three individual science gcses you can then take 'further additional science'. Some schools only offer double science, personally at my school we chose whether to continue to take triple science or drop to double science after the mocks in January :smile:
Original post by Aims753

Basically, students used to have the option of:

- Core Science GCSE (1 GCSE) with 3 exams
- Additional/ Double Science GCSE (2 GCSEs) with 6 exams inc. the 3 core exams
- Triple Science GCSE(3 GCSEs - Chem, Bio, Phys) with 9 exams inc. 3 core and 3 additional

Triple Science has now become Further Additional Science - so instead of getting three GCSEs in each of Biology, Chemistry and Physics, you get three GCSEs in Core Science, Additional Science and Further Additional Science. Each of those GCSEs contains one Biology module, one Chemistry module, and one Physics module.

Only those who would have done Triple Science before will do Further Additional now.

Does that make sense?
Original post by Aims753

Separately they are:

-Core Science (P1,B1,C1)

-Additional Science (B2, P2, C2)

-Triple Science (P3, B3, C3)

If you just do Core you are doing Single.
If you do Core and Additional you are doing Double Science.
If you do Core, Additional and Triple you are doing Triple Science.

Two GCSEs = GCSE Core Science + GCSE Additional Science
If you’re taking two GCSEs

You can choose from:
Higher Level (predicted grades A*-C)
Foundation Level (predicted grades C-G)

Three GCSEs = GCSE Biology + GCSE Chemistry + GCSE Physics
Covers grades A*-G.

Exactly what it is:
GCSE Science courses and exams are set by “exam boards”. Each board sets a slightly different syllabus. If you’re not sure which exam board you’re studying with, your school will be able to tell you.
GCSE Further Additional Science enables students to improve their skills, knowledge and understanding of 'How Science Works' in relation to the living, material and physical worlds.
The three sciences Biology, Chemistry and Physics are taught separately using Unit 3 modules from the individual subject GCSEs. This allows for co-teaching with the relevant Science GCSEs.
It offers students who have taken GCSE Science A or B plus GCSE Additional Science the chance to cover the remaining units of the separate Science GCSE exams in Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
It is suitable for students of all abilities and the course encourages students to understand theoretical concepts alongside developing practical Science skills.
Reply 7
Thank you for answering my question, you were all a great help! When I go back I'll ask a teacher about it but from reading the replies, I doubt I'll be doing it. Also, I'm doing the OCR exam board which is the timetable I was looking at when I seen the further additional exam.

Quick Reply

Latest