Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will me and my boyfriend be okay when I go to uni? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been offered a place at uni and I will be leaving in September. I'm not far away from my boyfriend (an hour and a half at the most). But when will we find time to see each other? He has a job, i'll want to go out and socialize and we can't just make spontaneous plans like we do now. Neither of us will have huge amounts of money so won't be able to pay for petrol/train tickets regularly

ReputationRep:
    No one can answer that for you. It'll depend entirely on the two of you and how you keep in touch etc. Long distance relationships are hard to maintain though...

ReputationRep:
    You'll be too busy having fun in uni to even notice your boyfriend exists, if you catch my drift. Don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    Don't wanna sound like a debbie downer, but prepare yourself for the worst. I was once in your shoes, except it was my boyfriend at the time going to university a good 6/7 hours away from me. We honestly tried our hardest to make things work but we decided to end it since we both couldn't afford regular meets, and he was super busy with stuff as was I. Now you two may have a stronger connection and faith in the relationship unlike me and my ex did, so things could still work out. But all I'm saying is mentally prepare yourself for if that day comes where you both can no longer do it. Make sure it's a mutual thing and you'll both feel good about it. But obviously try your hardest to make it work first

ReputationRep:
    I went to stay with my boyfriend almost every weekend in the first year of uni but it was so hard being apart that I decided to commute for the rest of my course... That said it definitely didn't break us.

My colleague and his girlfriend decided to try long distance when she moved back to Canada from the UK after a few months of being together, and now more than a few years later they're engaged and still going strong!!

Don't listen to anyone who says long distance never works out! But you have to be prepared to put in the effort to communicate.

ReputationRep:
    University will open up such a whole new set of friends, acquaintances and interests that you'll likely forget his name by the end of Fresher's week.

ReputationRep:
    All these replies are awful.

Long distance can work, it just takes more effort. You both have to want it and work at it. There's a big LDR advice thread in this forum as well as a chat one. They can work.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody can tell you. You won't know if your feelings will change when you start uni, or his may change, no matter how hard you try. Some people just don't want a long distance relationship and there's not a lot you can do about it. But having done LDR (albeit only for two months) you should make use of Skype, it's not the same as seeing them but an improvement from just a call/texting I found. And make sure you plan when you're seeing each other and stick to it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katehlouise)
    All these replies are awful.

Long distance can work, it just takes more effort. You both have to want it and work at it. There's a big LDR advice thread in this forum as well as a chat one. They can work.
    Thank you! I'll take a look

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on your relationship.. some long distance relationships work, others don't. It depends on how you feel about each other, how much you trust each other and what you have together. If you want something to work, you work for it. No one can answer your question, just see how it goes. Everything happens for a reason

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 17, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.