Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When I got my AS result's the other day, they were much higher than I had expected. I was going to apply to midwifery courses this year, but some people have been suggesting that as my results were so good, I should consider making an oxbridge application. I'm now left wondering if I should take this opportunity, or if it would be better to stick to the safe road and do midwifery, as I'm not entirely sure oxbridge would be for me.

So I'd really like to know, do you think you should always aim as high as you can and take all opportunity's that are given to you, or should you be less ambitious and stick to something that's more likely to work out? Have you ever regretted either aspiring too high or too low?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    From my own personal experience I would say aim high. This is a completely different situation, but whilst I was in secondary school I was short-listed for head girl. The interview process was really dragged out and it seemed quite elitist and snobby to me at the time, so I very almost dropped out. But I decided to try, and ended up getting it resulting in lots of really exciting opportunities. This was after turning down a secure college council position so as to try for head girl, so I could have ended up with nothing. However, I stand that the whole process was very elitist. The same could be said of going to Oxbridge even though midwifery is a very respected career that I am sure will be incredibly rewarding. Aim high if it will bring you something better (even with risk) but not just for the sake of it.

ReputationRep:
    Go for it! Oxbridge is just one application in 5 choices so it won't harm to try, and it really is worth it. However you do need to be totally sure and passionate about the subject you choose, so if midwifery is definitely what you want to do then choose that.. Always aim as high as possible but don't get really disheartened if it doesn't work out. My experience of that (sort of similar to poster above) was trying for head girl/deputy convincing myself I would get through the vote, getting my heart totally set on it and then not getting through. This knocked me quite badly for around a month, but everyone who applied got an assistant role and I've come to realise it's what you make of it - I'm volunteering for loads of stuff and probably doing as much as the deputies, and really loving it!! So if you don't get what you hoped for, you have the power to make the most of the circumstances.. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.