Can my C in English Lang GCSE actually hold me back?

Watch
Perryjoseph1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi all,

In 2010 I left my bog standard comp with 10 GCSE's 2A*s 2A*s 5Bs and a C in f**king English Lang,

Despite this I got good A levels and managed to average 67% this year in yr 2 of my BSc Economics and Politics Course at Cardiff University,

Furthermore I've interned with RBS (Coutts) Wealth Operations this summer so so far my C in Eng Lang hasn't held me back,

However I have been looking at many of the different grad schemes on offer for student like myself who are eager to get into Finance, and many of them specify English Language at B grade or above,

How strict are firms about GCSE requirements when it comes to grad scheme applications? Will my A levels, degree, 2nd yr average, and intern compensate for this?

Please help, thanks
ThatAuditGuy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I know people who got an C in English language GCSE but work for Big 4, I know PwC and Deloitte accept candidates with a C in English lang GCSE and it shouldn't hold you back because other than using grades as filtration systems employers usually don't put much emphasis on grades achieved over 6 years ago.
thebrahmabull
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ThatAuditGuy)
I know people who got an C in English language GCSE but work for Big 4, I know PwC and Deloitte accept candidates with a C in English lang GCSE and it shouldn't hold you back because other than using grades as filtration systems employers usually don't put much emphasis on grades achieved over 6 years ago.
does that apply for a'levels too? if I join perhaps 6 years later after my a'levels for grad job , would the emphasis on A level grades be lowered?
ThatAuditGuy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by thebrahmabull)
does that apply for a'levels too? if I join perhaps 6 years later after my a'levels for grad job , would the emphasis on A level grades be lowered?
not sure if serious?!:confused:

A levels are crucial in the sense that most ask for 300/320 UCAS points minimum regardless of when you completed them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.52%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.07%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.04%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (78)
28.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise