Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys i achieved BBC in my A levels High B's in Geography and Economics, and a C in government politics (which i completed in one year). I had massive family issues going on during this entire year and it 100% affected my performance. I even had to go to the doctor because i was literally depressed. I believe i did reasonably well under the circumstances. However the universities i want to apply to are Kings, St.Andrews, LSE and loughborough for International relations. I will be applying to 2 courses at Kings. I am on a gap year and will be doing a ton of work experience and will be preparing for a few resits. My school will be hopefully predicting me AAB MAYBE AAA. (due to the fact that i literally have a year to revise for 4 exams). Now i know that these unis will consider my application but will they give me an offer. Of course you dont know, but im asking for your opinion. My first choice is Kings (well LSE but i highly doubt they will give me an offer, but as they say if you dont apply you will never get an offer!). So will they look down on me due to the grades? Or will they be sympathetic due to my circumstances. In addition i taught myself the A2 for government and politics as the AS classes clashed with A2 classes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daalchaval)
    Hi guys i achieved BBC in my A levels High B's in Geography and Economics, and a C in government politics (which i completed in one year). I had massive family issues going on during this entire year and it 100% affected my performance. I even had to go to the doctor because i was literally depressed. I believe i did reasonably well under the circumstances. However the universities i want to apply to are Kings, St.Andrews, LSE and loughborough for International relations. I will be applying to 2 courses at Kings. I am on a gap year and will be doing a ton of work experience and will be preparing for a few resits. My school will be hopefully predicting me AAB MAYBE AAA. (due to the fact that i literally have a year to revise for 4 exams). Now i know that these unis will consider my application but will they give me an offer. Of course you dont know, but im asking for your opinion. My first choice is Kings (well LSE but i highly doubt they will give me an offer, but as they say if you dont apply you will never get an offer!). So will they look down on me due to the grades? Or will they be sympathetic due to my circumstances. In addition i taught myself the A2 for government and politics as the AS classes clashed with A2 classes.
    hi there, so sorry to hear that your a level study was distrupted by family issues. A year ago, I was pretty much in the same boat as you so i think maybe i can help a little.

First, you should apply to the unis you want and like the courses offered there. I applied for computer science at King's, Cambridge, Imperial, QMUL and UCL with results A*(Maths)A(FMaths)D(Physics)

I had a whole year to study and improve my Physics. It really works as long as you work with a schedule and try to minimize procrastination. Try to apply through UCAS as early as possible since you have a gap year and make your PS a great one.

In the end I was rejected from Cambridge and Imperial but got offers from the others. Due to being on a gap year i applied for all available scholarships and bursaries so i was so happy when I got the STEM and bursary at King's. Really take the time to make your CV and write a great Essay for scholarship entries...you never know!

Also, ask your college to increase your predicted grades, really helps. Say you have a whole year to improve and that youre very determined.

Hope this helps and go for it!

ReputationRep:
    great thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.