Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    CCTV footage has been released allegedly showing Michael Brown, the victim of a police shooting in Ferguson this week, robbing a store moments before being gunned down unarmed by a police officer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28816979

Days before Ferguson had turned into a war zone as many set to the streets in anger and sorrow - but is it really ever justifiable to raid shops and burn down businesses, are these events in any way similar to the London Riots?

There is no 100% certainty that the man in the CCTV is Brown, but if it is, will this change the shape of the investigation?

Is the police to easily blamed for events such as these?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28814493

ReputationRep:
    Shooting an UNARMED civillian who has done no significant physical damage to another human is not justifiable, period. 9-10 times too? Jesus. Should have arrested the kid, not killed him for robbery and supposedly J-Walking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Who is to blame? The officer obviously.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna go with the one who spent 10 bullets against someone with his hands up.

ReputationRep:
    1. He shouldn't have robbed the store.
    2. The officer should not have shot him.
    3. People should not be rioting.

********s, the lot of them.

ReputationRep:
    Unemployment is to blame and a lack of integration.

ReputationRep:
    The sweet innocent Michael Brown. Funny how police shooting blacks gets so much attention in the race baiting media but black on black crime is largely ignored.

ReputationRep:
    The cop. Even if he did rob the store, this whole thing of "shoot to kill" is way out of hand in the States, by both the police and normal civilians. A shot to the leg or the arm would have been more than enough to subdue him if he had actually done something wrong, and if he was innocent at least it would have healed eventually. What the cop did was way overboard imo, but unfortunately it's also pretty regular

ReputationRep:
    The cop who shot him though judging by the robbery footage he probably was a thug and would end up in jail or dead anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skratch My Itch)
    Shooting an UNARMED civillian who has done no significant physical damage to another human is not justifiable, period. 9-10 times too? Jesus. Should have arrested the kid, not killed him for robbery and supposedly J-Walking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We don't know if he was armed or not .... you can be threatening without being armed too you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in Tyrone)
    We don't know if he was armed or not .... you can be threatening without being armed too you know.
    I apologise. It's absolutely fine to shoot some who has their hands in the air ten times.

ReputationRep:
    I apologise. It's absolutely fine to shoot some who has their hands in the air ten times.
    No one is actually sure about what really happened. The police are refusing to comment on what happened because the investigation is in progress.

And what, it's absolutely fine to ransack innocent businesses ... to loot and burn them?

Take a look at the London riots. The guy was shot, and everyone thought he was totally innocent - but he really wasn't. Everyone was saying how he had surrendered, but he didn't and was grabbing something from his pocket. Yes the guy in London was black too ... shot by a white policeman ...

Everyone just loves to jump on the "Racism bandwagon"

ReputationRep:
    No one is actually sure about what really happened. The police are refusing to comment on what happened because the investigation is in progress.

And what, it's absolutely fine to ransack innocent businesses ... to loot and burn them?

Take a look at the London riots. The guy was shot, and everyone thought he was totally innocent - but he really wasn't. Everyone was saying how he had surrendered, but he didn't and was grabbing something from his pocket. Yes the guy in London was black too ... shot by a white policeman ...

I didn't say it was racist. And you don't shoot some SEVEN TIMES WHEN THEY PUT THEIR HANDS IN THE AIR AFTER ALREADY BEING SHOT TWICE. THE POLICE OFFICER DID NOT REPORT THE SHOOTING FOR FOUR HOURS. CLEARLY, THE POLICE OFFICER IS A **** AND SHOULD LOSE HIS JOB. YES, BROWN SHOULD NOT HAVE ROBBED A STORE, BUT HE DIDN'T DO PHYSICAL DAMAGE. HOW THE **** YOU THINK THIS KILLING IS DEFENSIBLE IS BEYOND ME. And yes, Duggan shouldn't have been carrying a firearm, but he was shot once he had thrown the gun, thus he was unarmed and should have been arrested, not killed.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say it was racist. And you don't shoot some SEVEN TIMES WHEN THEY PUT THEIR HANDS IN THE AIR AFTER ALREADY BEING SHOT TWICE. THE POLICE OFFICER DID NOT REPORT THE SHOOTING FOR FOUR HOURS. CLEARLY, THE POLICE OFFICER IS A **** AND SHOULD LOSE HIS JOB. YES, BROWN SHOULD NOT HAVE ROBBED A STORE, BUT HE DIDN'T DO PHYSICAL DAMAGE. HOW THE **** YOU THINK THIS KILLING IS DEFENSIBLE IS BEYOND ME. And yes, Duggan shouldn't have been carrying a firearm, but he was shot once he had thrown the gun, thus he was unarmed and should have been arrested, not killed.
    If what you're telling me is true, that Darren Wilson (the police officer) shot an unarmed and surrendering Michael Brown, then you shouldn't be worrying about him losing his job, you should be more concerned about a potential life sentence.

"Duggan shouldn't have been carrying a firearm" ... see that's where you are wrong ... Duggan had the gun on him at the time of the confrontation with the police officers who had a warrant for him any way ... They had a tip off that he was armed and dangerous. Surely Duggan knew that he was in danger of getting shot if he pulled the gun on them, but he pulled it any way and they shot him in the taxi.

I'm a Londoner, born and bread ... I was there when the riots hit Clapham ... I saw it first hand. It was just young adolescents pillaging poor, innocent shops for the sake of a pair of adidas shoes or a flat screen TV. it was chaos. I live just down the road from Clapham Junction and was there when the riot police started kettling the crowds.

I want to hear more from this Ferguson investigation before I start pointing fingers at any body. I want to hear exactly what happened on that fateful morning.

ReputationRep:
    If what you're telling me is true, that Darren Wilson (the police officer) shot an unarmed and surrendering Michael Brown, then you shouldn't be worrying about him losing his job, you should be more concerned about a potential life sentence.

"Duggan shouldn't have been carrying a firearm" ... see that's where you are wrong ... Duggan had the gun on him at the time of the confrontation with the police officers who had a warrant for him any way ... They had a tip off that he was armed and dangerous. Surely Duggan knew that he was in danger of getting shot if he pulled the gun on them, but he pulled it any way and they shot him in the taxi.

I'm a Londoner, born and bread ... I was there when the riots hit Clapham ... I saw it first hand. It was just young adolescents pillaging poor, innocent shops for the sake of a pair of adidas shoes or a flat screen TV. it was chaos. I live just down the road from Clapham Junction and was there when the riot police started kettling the crowds.

I want to hear more from this Ferguson investigation before I start pointing fingers at any body. I want to hear exactly what happened on that fateful morning.
    I do not believe either riot was justified either. However, with the Duggan case, he had thrown the gun over a wall and was unarmed before the cops shot him. They saw him throw it and still shot him. They should have just cuffed him.

ReputationRep:
    I do not believe either riot was justified either. However, with the Duggan case, he had thrown the gun over a wall and was unarmed before the cops shot him. They saw him throw it and still shot him. They should have just cuffed him.
    OMG ... how stubborn are you?

Duggan had attempted to pull something out of his jacket pocket whilst in the taxi ... policemen assumed it was a weapon because they were TIPPED ... they shot in self defence.

ReputationRep:
    Righhhhht. So shoot/kill and ask questions later? Other than him being black, why would you suspect he had a firearm? Does jaywalking (The alleged reason for why he was stopped) imply he has the he is carrying?
    Um nope. Police have made several statements, you just have selective hearing. The perpetrator has made 2 contradictory statements and both contradict witness accounts. Although he did admit to shooting the victim from 35ft away, (a distance where he couldn't post a threat).
    Proof that Brown burned down a business? Stealing a pack of cigs is "looting" now? Nobody said what he did was ok, but it has already been expressed several times by the Ferguson Chief Tom Jackson that the theft bears no relevance to the shooting, and the officer had no idea of the theft when he decided to shoot him 10 times. You put it in the OP, just to contribute to the smear campaign. Nice try.
    Username: MadeInTyrone

The irony.

ReputationRep:
    CCTV footage has been released allegedly showing Michael Brown, the victim of a police shooting in Ferguson this week, robbing a store moments before being gunned down unarmed by a police officer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28816979

Days before Ferguson had turned into a war zone as many set to the streets in anger and sorrow - but is it really ever justifiable to raid shops and burn down businesses, are these events in any way similar to the London Riots?

There is no 100% certainty that the man in the CCTV is Brown, but if it is, will this change the shape of the investigation?

Is the police to easily blamed for events such as these?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28814493
    Given how little is known about the actual shooting itself nobody can say for sure who was to blame.

If he was unarmed and wasn't posing a danger to the officer then of course the officer was wrong to shoot.
    If he was armed or was unarmed but still a danger to the officer then the officer was well within his rights to shoot.
    If the officer did have to shoot was he right to "shoot to kill"? Yes he was. It's all well and good people saying that the officer in question should have shot him in the arm or the leg to stop him if he did have to shoot at all, but the fact of the matter is that their training is to shoot for centre mass, i.e. torso, because it's the biggest target and there is zero guarantee that a shot to the arm or leg will stop, or even slow down, an aggressive suspect.

Moving on from the shooting however, there is no excuse for the actions of the rioters. If you're angry at the cops for their actions, then direct your anger at the cops. What does trashing the shops and properties of innocent members of society do? What do you achieve by stealing from shop owners who had nothing to do with it? As usual what has happened is that the initial group that started things were angry over the issue, then they were joined by people who don't care about the issue and simply want to cause mayhem, either through destruction of property, violence towards those in a position of authority, or theft for personal gain. Absolutely ****ing pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truths)
    Proof that Brown burned down a business? Stealing a pack of cigs is "looting" now? Nobody said what he did was ok, but it has already been expressed several times by the Ferguson Chief Tom Jackson that the theft bears no relevance to the shooting, and the officer had no idea of the theft when he decided to shoot him 10 times. You put it in the OP, just to contribute to the smear campaign. Nice try.
    If you had actually engaged your brain before responding you would have realised that the OP wasn't referring to the actions of Brown with this statement, but posing a question about the actions of those "protesting" the shooting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    If you had actually engaged your brain before responding you would have realised that the OP wasn't referring to the actions of Brown with this statement, but posing a question about the actions of those "protesting" the shooting.
    If you decided to engage your brain before entering this thread you would have realized that the OP is titled "who is to blame?" So why bring up events neither parties were responsible for and events that had no bearing on the fatal incident?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.