Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I'm new on here. Just thought I'd make an account as I'm always finding answers to my questions via google and it looks like a cool website.

Anyway the question is, I'm on my third lesson at the moment, well second lesson with this instructor because the other one couldn't even drive... So I finished my third lesson today and I don't feel I'm progressing very good. I can change gear no problem, 1st, 2nd and 3rd but It's the rest I'm having problems with...

The instructor wanted me to drive home myself but at the end of the lesson said I'm not good enough yet. It feels like I'll never be able to take it all in and do it sub-consciously...

How far were you on the third lesson?

How long until you could drive on roads with heavy traffic?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    My third lesson is on Monday, I'm not particularly great either to be honest! Stall it a lot! Changing gears is fine, but not exactly smooth haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beanos)
    My third lesson is on Monday, I'm not particularly great either to be honest! Stall it a lot! Changing gears is fine, but not exactly smooth haha
    Good luck lol let me know how it goes.

I think I'm going to have some 2 hour lessons so it sticks more, that's what others think anyway.

My 4th & 5th lesson is on friday, hopefully I'll be able to get myself home by then, should only run over a couple of people :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielC-)
    How far were you on the third lesson?
    Think I drove home for the first time, but my instructor was guiding me heavily. Aside from that it was the boring stuff like driving around quiet roads

How long until you could drive on roads with heavy traffic?
    In general, maybe around 6-8 lessons in, but confidently without much instructor guidance, lesson 16+...

OK, while I said the initial stuff was boring, that's only because I can drive now (this was only at the beginning of the year btw)

The time spent on quiet roads is valuable and there's honestly no rush, just focus on getting comfortable behind the wheel, everything else should fall into place

ReputationRep:
    pass after 8 lessons crew

OP tho, thought about getting learner insurance on a parents car? Would help you a lot

ReputationRep:
    Your instructor has controls of the brake and clutch, and if he's a good instructor he won't let anything bad happen, so just go for it.

Even after driving on my own for years I much prefer driving when the roads are quiet.

ReputationRep:
    I was actually put on the road in my first two hours. It's not difficult tbh. Just focus and remember to change gears and master your biting point. The instructor will help you on turns and stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Finished my 4&5th lesson earlier, I drove myself home though 2 main roads, with quite alot of help from the instructor. But I can't seem drive in the middle of the road, I'm always keeping to the left because I'm worrying that I'm going to hit oncoming traffic :/ I can't seem to get a feel for where the edges of the car are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamu)
    pass after 8 lessons crew

OP tho, thought about getting learner insurance on a parents car? Would help you a lot
    Unless you had 3-4 hour lessons, we know this is a lie

(Original post by DanielC-)
    Finished my 4&5th lesson earlier, I drove myself home though 2 main roads, with quite alot of help from the instructor. But I can't seem drive in the middle of the road, I'm always keeping to the left because I'm worrying that I'm going to hit oncoming traffic :/ I can't seem to get a feel for where the edges of the car are
    You'll learn and your spatial awareness will sharpen up with time. I had the opposite problem, I was quite opportunistic & risky. I squeezed through gaps getting very close to other cars when I really should've waited and let cars oncoming go, but that's how you learn. The instructor will grab the wheel if he/she thinks something bad is about to happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TornadoGR4)
    Unless you had 3-4 hour lessons, we know this is a lie
    lol and how is that ?

ReputationRep:
    Had my 4th&5th yesterday, she let me onto the dual carriageway and did some overtaking, pretty easy tbh. Although you know when there's road works and the road gets sent into the oncoming traffic? Like the right lane goes to the otherside? Yeah she sent me through that... pretty small space haha.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.