The Student Room Group

Home cooked halal food recipes!!!

Home cooked halal food recipes for men!!! I know us men are rubbish when it comes to cooking, so to help each other a new thread:biggrin:

Keema (mince meat)

1. 1 table-spoon of cooking oil in a heavy based sauce pan over medium heat, add 2 small onions cut into small peieces (the smaller the faster it cooks), stirring time to time.

2. When onions are soft but not brown add 1 pound of minced meat, crushed garlic, 3 green chilies and cook over low heat. Stirring all the time and making sure that all the water evaporates and meat turns brown.

3. Add 2 chopped tomatoes, 1 table spoon of HALDI, ½ a small table spoon of GARAM MASALA (cummin), salt and cook for five to ten minutes, stirring all the time. Add a bit of water if feel necessary during the process.

4. Add potatoes or peas (prefer peas myself, but can but anything you like) and mix it well, add one cup of water, cover and leave to cook for 30 minutes over low heat or until peas/potatoes are cooked. If water dries before potatoes are cooked, add more water. water will help prevent food sticking to pan!

5) Add coriander leaves. Mix well and serve hot with nan bread, roti or even rice.

COOKING TIME 30-40MINS, FASTER IF YOU CUT THINGS SMALLER!!
8/10 for cooking ease
Reply 1
Saloona chawal (brown rice, what we Asians get at weddings)

1. 1 ½ tables spoons of cooking oil in pan over full oven, add 2 cut onions into pan.
2. Add 2 green chillies - allow onions to brown for 5 mins.
3. Put chicken (small chicken, skin/fat off) after 10-15 mins into pan.
NB - WAIT 5-10 mins for the chicken to cook before steps 4 ,5 and 6. This because you dont want to lose all the flavour from the spices!!
4. Add 2-3 crushed or blended WHOLE CLOVES.
5. Add 2-3 cut or broken down BLACK CARDOMNS.
6. Add 1 ½ tables spoons of GARAM MASSALAH.
7. Once the chicken has gone brown add boiled water to pan - just enough to cover all the chicken.
8. Add 2 bowls (i.e. 2 corn flakes bowls size) of washed rice to pan (NB: 1 cup of rice = 2 cups of water)
9. Once most of the water has evaporated turn the heat down (i.e. allow it to simmer) with lid on.
10 After 10 mins (not an exact science,therefore you'll have to check if the rice is done) shake to pan with lid on and leave for 5 mins.

Done

Add curry on top or coleslaw or just eat on its own....one of my favourite dishes
Reply 2
i absbolutely hate keema with a passion :biggrin:
Reply 3
I looked at this and was wondering what the deal was.

I thought, but can't men and women eat the SAME food?

And then I read it and saw...
Reply 4
ur right, so title changed
Reply 5
nice thread
Reply 6
Ha ha .. not bad at all... Seems like you are a pretty good cook... :smile:
Reply 7
Empath
Ha ha .. not bad at all... Seems like you are a pretty good cook... :smile:

not really hun:biggrin:
in the last two weeks before i leave home am learning how to cook proper food. you cant live on takeaway food or food that your body's not use to like pasta etc. for example i need bread in my diet, if i take away bread and eat rice instead i lose my strenght and become ill. not a nice feeling.

come on people am sure have some good recipes. lets read em
:p:
Reply 8
Interesting.

If I manage to get into Uni next yearand move out i was planning on living off pasta and tap water for five years:p:
ill be living on them cheap 11p a packet instand noodles i'm thinking! might chuck in some sauces for a bit of variety lol. sauces meaning ketchup :biggrin:
Reply 10
come on people. lets be serious for a mo'

any simple recipes for a man in need :wink:
Reply 11
um, I would give you a pasta recipe.. but you said you didn't want one ^_^

.... lol.. it's got chicken... cheese... onions... pepper.... basil..
Reply 12
lil one
i absbolutely hate keema with a passion :biggrin:

:mad:

I hate you for hating keema!

Try chicken keema, it's brilliant
Reply 13
he-man
Saloona chawal (brown rice, what we Asians get at weddings)

Add curry on top or coleslaw or just eat on its own....one of my favourite dishes

Raita! Damn you!
Reply 14
I suppose the OP isn't in need of the post anymore.. seeing as it was posted in 2006, but i would still appreciate recipes... =] I'm a girl by the way
Reply 15
Yas89
Raita! Damn you!

Raita FTW!

good job He-man. Looking forward to more recipes.... how about haleem? lol

Latest