rakesh5883
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Its been 3.5 months since I`ve got a UK driving licence and ever since I've taken my car and driven 3 -4 times with the city..Canary Wharf to Lewisham, Canary wharf to Ilford and Canary wharf to Hounslow.

Being in Indian and since i've been driving in India for the past 10 years, driving in the UK still scares me, I am mainly scared because i generally travel with my kid and wife. ( well, nothing scares me India to drive :-))

Just a few days back I got a PCN for driving on a bus lane( not even 1000m ) but, yes my mistake( got this in Lewis grove, Lewisham) ! !!

For the first time we are travelling to Wales in Train and and in Wales am planning to hire a car there to roam. Should I be scared or should I just do this ?
rakesh5883
Rep:
?
driving lessons again and again ... ! That saga never ends ... Its a costly affair, and that fact that someone is there with you give you that extra confidence ... But in the long run....there is never going to be someone beside you right !!aah..this is really scary...any experiences anyone !
nemothefish19
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's not surprising seeing as you've only driven a few times here!

The only way to get over that fear is to drive lots, why not drive a few times with someone who has plenty of experience driving here until you're comfortable and familiar with uk roads?

If you want to go down the driving lessons route, remember it's up to you how many you want to do. You could just take a few lessons and in the initial meeting with the instructor discuss how many you want to take and what you want to learn from these lessons. They are usually very accommodating.

With regards to hiring a car in Wales, the roads are the same and so are the road signs pretty much (except underneath the words written in English on the signs, you might also see the translation written in welsh).... So that's up to you really, do whatever you're feel most comfortable with

Hope this helps in some way!
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Where are you going in Wales? Cardiff is pretty metropolitan and the city centre can get very confusing if you don't know your way around. Swansea has an abortion of a city centre in terms of driving, but other than that most of the towns and cities are very small so fairly easy to navigate around.
Joeey009
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A bit off topic but you sure you would be able to hire a car since you've only held a licence for 3 months?
esjae
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Depends on where in Wales you are going, like previously said.
Road signs can be confusing, due to being in Welsh first from some areas of mid Wales up to North Wales, this is because there is more Welsh speakers up there, compared to the south
rakesh5883
Rep:
?
Thanks a lot to all of your replies.

Actually, Iam going to Llandudno and then hiring a car to drive down to llyn Peninsula, portmeiron.

Thanks for that question on licence(I just called them up to confirm) , it seems because I hold an Indian passport. I am eligible to rent a car if I provide my passport with UK drivers license. and So the condition to rent a car is, 'you should have had a licence for at least 1 year' that way, I've a Indian licence for 10 years. So, Iam eligible. Moreover in the UK, I drive around a ZIPCAR. So, not a problem.

Because of this fear, and because I want to badly overcome it, and.... Because not renting a car when I have a full licence gives me self doubts and disturbs the little confidence!!

So, I purchased a Garmin 2569 LMTD ", which I believe should help me with the routes and roundabouts and I hope this should alleviate the stress levels from 100% to 20%.

Back in India, the jokes floating around on the topic of driving were, 'since u can drive in India, it meant I can drive anywhere in the world'. Well, my experience explains otherwise, and driving anywhere in the world is one thing, but mainly driving anywhere in the world without rules is what I believe its probably the joke means!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (153)
59.3%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.26%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.44%

Watched Threads