Preparing to choose A-levels (English, Maths, Psychology, Media and Geography)

Watch
Meg321
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm entering year 11 in September but I'm researching what I am considering taking in College.
What GCSE grades would be expected of me to be able take English, Maths and Geography?
What GCSE's accompany Psychology and Media well?
Also what are your views on these subjects if you took them or are taking them in A-Level?

I am only planning to take four of the five subjects I have listed here but I'm not sure which yet.

Thank you in advance
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If your school does OCR Media, do not even think about doing it. If it's a different exam board, just think carefully and make sure it's the subject you drop in a2, unless you want to go into it in the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
AidenLloydJepsen
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Psychology, Geography, History and a language would all be good preparatory subjects for pursuing the aforementioned at uni. Obviously, your school should provide Maths, English language and Lit as compulsory subjects so you don't need to worry about that
Meg321
Rep:
?
I am doing triple science so double isn't a problem (but god help me 9 science exams in May). I am not sure what I want to do in the future which is my problem, so I am looking at subjects that I enjoy but I am also good enough at. I may look for something else to fit with Psychology (because I find it really interesting) as I am not keen on Geography and a bit worried about 'soft subjects' such as Media as I am considering Uni. Or I may just drop Media at A2. I definitely wont be taking Art for A-level, I hate the amount of work I get at GCSE and I have realised I much prefer written work.
Thank you, that helped a lot
Meg321
Rep:
?
(Original post by Captivated)
If your school does OCR Media, do not even think about doing it. If it's a different exam board, just think carefully and make sure it's the subject you drop in a2, unless you want to go into it in the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I will drop it at A2 then or find something that goes with Psychology instead, maybe one of the science's, thank you
Meg321
Rep:
?
My teacher isn't too bad, but she is making us do three units instead of two so I only have a term to do a whole unit before exam prep and its horrible, id prefer to improve my previous work. Yeah, it shouldn't matter the topic, its the grade that matters.
Thank you, I will keep that in mind, I'm planning to prepare for topic tests like I would exams so that I know exactly where I need to improve when I get results from practise papers as I have put the effort in, which is what I didn't do so much in year 10
thewishfulwriter
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Meg321)
I'm entering year 11 in September but I'm researching what I am considering taking in College.
What GCSE grades would be expected of me to be able take English, Maths and Geography?
What GCSE's accompany Psychology and Media well?
Also what are your views on these subjects if you took them or are taking them in A-Level?

I am only planning to take four of the five subjects I have listed here but I'm not sure which yet.

Thank you in advance
English usually needs a C at GCSE (each sixth form varies)
Maths would need a B at GCSE, though they may be lenient
Geography usually doesn't need a specific grade

I did psychology, English and geography at AS (currently moving into A2) - I would say they're all enjoyable subjects but they do require a lot of work.
Also, geography and psychology have a lot to remember.
And the English essay skills are difficult to bring up to a level standard to begin with - but it's something you'll learn

Good luck deciding x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Meg321
Rep:
?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you, that was really helpful, I think I will end up not taking Geography as I am not enjoying it so much at GCSE, but it is one of the subjects I am better at, so it is worth considering x
pierreboobvier
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
English literature (idk which one you're thinking of doing) is a pain in the arse at A-Level. I got an A* at GCSE, and still found it incredibly difficult. My sixth form asked for an A in Literature to do it, and a B to do the joint LitLang.
Psychology, we needed a B in science, in particular Biology. You don't need it that much, though.

Also - don't take anything you don't really enjoy! It makes it much more difficult.
username1042689
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Generally, you need Bs in the relevant GCSEs to do a subject at A level. Maths is not such a big step up from GCSE. English seriously is, but it's also much more fun.

I take Maths, English and Psychology and love them all, but only take them if you think you'll really enjoy them. It's a long hard slog.
Meg321
Rep:
?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you! Yes I was considering Lit as I am better at analysing and universities prefer it I think anyway
Meg321
Rep:
?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok, I will keep in mind that I need to take subjects I enjoy over subjects I am good at but hate, thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (61)
29.33%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.21%
No I am happy with my choice (116)
55.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.69%

Watched Threads