Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Preparing to choose A-levels (English, Maths, Psychology, Media and Geography) watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm entering year 11 in September but I'm researching what I am considering taking in College.
    What GCSE grades would be expected of me to be able take English, Maths and Geography?
    What GCSE's accompany Psychology and Media well?
    Also what are your views on these subjects if you took them or are taking them in A-Level?

I am only planning to take four of the five subjects I have listed here but I'm not sure which yet.

Thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    at my sixth form, to do english lit you need a b in english lit and lang gcse. maths and geography i'm unsure of but i know the grade needed is usually a b and english is probably needed for geography as well as maybe geography itself. for psychology, they need a b in english, maths and science and they prefer double science. i think english lit and psychology work, also politics or something? im not sure because it's down to what you want to do in the future like with me i'm thinking about journalism and my four subjects fit with journalism. also advice: unis usually like traditional subjects like english lit, maths, further maths, the three sciences, history, geography and a language. they think of anything else as 'soft' which is irritating but subjects like art, graphics, drama and music are not even recognised unless its a uni especially for those subjects. also i've heard media is the lowest of the soft subjects.

ReputationRep:
    If your school does OCR Media, do not even think about doing it. If it's a different exam board, just think carefully and make sure it's the subject you drop in a2, unless you want to go into it in the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Psychology, Geography, History and a language would all be good preparatory subjects for pursuing the aforementioned at uni. Obviously, your school should provide Maths, English language and Lit as compulsory subjects so you don't need to worry about that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moecandy)
    at my sixth form, to do english lit you need a b in english lit and lang gcse. maths and geography i'm unsure of but i know the grade needed is usually a b and english is probably needed for geography as well as maybe geography itself. for psychology, they need a b in english, maths and science and they prefer double science. i think english lit and psychology work, also politics or something? im not sure because it's down to what you want to do in the future like with me i'm thinking about journalism and my four subjects fit with journalism. also advice: unis usually like traditional subjects like english lit, maths, further maths, the three sciences, history, geography and a language. they think of anything else as 'soft' which is irritating but subjects like art, graphics, drama and music are not even recognised unless its a uni especially for those subjects. also i've heard media is the lowest of the soft subjects.
    I am doing triple science so double isn't a problem (but god help me 9 science exams in May). I am not sure what I want to do in the future which is my problem, so I am looking at subjects that I enjoy but I am also good enough at. I may look for something else to fit with Psychology (because I find it really interesting) as I am not keen on Geography and a bit worried about 'soft subjects' such as Media as I am considering Uni. Or I may just drop Media at A2. I definitely wont be taking Art for A-level, I hate the amount of work I get at GCSE and I have realised I much prefer written work.
    Thank you, that helped a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captivated)
    If your school does OCR Media, do not even think about doing it. If it's a different exam board, just think carefully and make sure it's the subject you drop in a2, unless you want to go into it in the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think I will drop it at A2 then or find something that goes with Psychology instead, maybe one of the science's, thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meg321)
    I am doing triple science so double isn't a problem (but god help me 9 science exams in May). I am not sure what I want to do in the future which is my problem, so I am looking at subjects that I enjoy but I am also good enough at. I may look for something else to fit with Psychology (because I find it really interesting) as I am not keen on Geography and a bit worried about 'soft subjects' such as Media as I am considering Uni. Or I may just drop Media at A2. I definitely wont be taking Art for A-level, I hate the amount of work I get at GCSE and I have realised I much prefer written work.
    Thank you, that helped a lot
    me too! art was hideous :mad: mostly because of our teacher too. i hate that they have an opinion on what subjects are soft too, its unfair on people who are good at them and enjoy them good luck at year 11, my biggest regret was not studying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moecandy)
    me too! art was hideous :mad: mostly because of our teacher too. i hate that they have an opinion on what subjects are soft too, its unfair on people who are good at them and enjoy them good luck at year 11, my biggest regret was not studying.
    My teacher isn't too bad, but she is making us do three units instead of two so I only have a term to do a whole unit before exam prep and its horrible, id prefer to improve my previous work. Yeah, it shouldn't matter the topic, its the grade that matters.
    Thank you, I will keep that in mind, I'm planning to prepare for topic tests like I would exams so that I know exactly where I need to improve when I get results from practise papers as I have put the effort in, which is what I didn't do so much in year 10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meg321)
    I'm entering year 11 in September but I'm researching what I am considering taking in College.
    What GCSE grades would be expected of me to be able take English, Maths and Geography?
    What GCSE's accompany Psychology and Media well?
    Also what are your views on these subjects if you took them or are taking them in A-Level?

I am only planning to take four of the five subjects I have listed here but I'm not sure which yet.

Thank you in advance
    English usually needs a C at GCSE (each sixth form varies)
    Maths would need a B at GCSE, though they may be lenient
    Geography usually doesn't need a specific grade

I did psychology, English and geography at AS (currently moving into A2) - I would say they're all enjoyable subjects but they do require a lot of work.
    Also, geography and psychology have a lot to remember.
    And the English essay skills are difficult to bring up to a level standard to begin with - but it's something you'll learn

Good luck deciding x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you, that was really helpful, I think I will end up not taking Geography as I am not enjoying it so much at GCSE, but it is one of the subjects I am better at, so it is worth considering x

ReputationRep:
    English literature (idk which one you're thinking of doing) is a pain in the arse at A-Level. I got an A* at GCSE, and still found it incredibly difficult. My sixth form asked for an A in Literature to do it, and a B to do the joint LitLang.
    Psychology, we needed a B in science, in particular Biology. You don't need it that much, though.

Also - don't take anything you don't really enjoy! It makes it much more difficult.

ReputationRep:
    Generally, you need Bs in the relevant GCSEs to do a subject at A level. Maths is not such a big step up from GCSE. English seriously is, but it's also much more fun.

I take Maths, English and Psychology and love them all, but only take them if you think you'll really enjoy them. It's a long hard slog.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you! Yes I was considering Lit as I am better at analysing and universities prefer it I think anyway

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ok, I will keep in mind that I need to take subjects I enjoy over subjects I am good at but hate, thank you

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.