Turn on thread page Beta

Could do with some help with conversations watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I only see my friends once every couple of weeks or so, and most of the time one a one-on-one basis. We don't usually have problems making conversation for an hour or two because obviously there's stuff to catch up on - what we've been up to since we last saw each other, gossip from mutual friends, recent news, films we've seen etc. However after a bit of time the conversation seems to run dry as the topics run out. I'll be going to university in September and so will be seeing the same people every day and going out in the evening with them etc. I just wonder how I'm going to be able to keep an interesting conversation going for so long each day... Eg while having breakfast, on the bus into uni, maybe at lunch together, pre drinks in the evening, then in the bar, etc etc every day. Obviously there will be things to talk about such as what's happened during the day, then of course films, music etc. But I just don't understand how people can keep a conversations up for hours every day?

I met up with a friend today in the pub and all we talked about were his recent holiday in Germany (which kept coming up), what I'd been up to, the new inbetweeners movie, other friends relationships, current events... No unique topics. I mean if we met up again tomorrow all these conversation topics would be exhausted so what would we talk about?

I wonder if people could help me? What are some example conversation topics that might come up between people who don't have this problem? Also are some topics repeated often?

ReputationRep:
    I understand what you mean, but surely things must just pop into your head that you can talk about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamu)
    I understand what you mean, but surely things must just pop into your head that you can talk about?
    Errrm, not reallu tbh :/ What kind of things would be 'normal' to pop into my head to talk about? If you get what I mean

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.