0%
    Acoustic drum
    0%

ReputationRep:
    What's quietest to an outsider:
    * trumpet
    * acoustic drum
    * electric drum

if I was sitting in the room next door in the house which would be the quieter? thanks

please could you number them
    1 = loudest
    3 = quietes
    thanks so much

ReputationRep:
    1. Acoustic Drum
    2. Trumpet
    3. Electric Drum

Although it depends on several key factors. For one the volume is adjustable on Electric Drums, and also the trumpet could be played with a mute. I guess you could also use a dB meter if you really wanted to know though in more detail...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artimus)
    1. Acoustic Drum
    2. Trumpet
    3. Electric Drum

Although it depends on several key factors. For one the volume is adjustable on Electric Drums, and also the trumpet could be played with a mute. I guess you could also use a dB meter if you really wanted to know though in more detail...
    thanks' Im more interested to have an idea as i don't want to disturb others / mimise disturabce.

what do you mean volume is adjustable on electric drums? surley hitting the rubber pads will make the same noise regardless? can this noise be reduced? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jsmith6131)
    thanks' Im more interested to have an idea as i don't want to disturb others / mimise disturabce.

what do you mean volume is adjustable on electric drums? surley hitting the rubber pads will make the same noise regardless? can this noise be reduced? thanks
    I'm pretty sure this noise can be reduced in several ways. The way in which I thought it was reduced was by using drum sticks with rubber ends as that will reduce the noise produced when hitting the pads and also if you live above people remember that they'll hear the pedal stomp so I guess a way around this is by playing on top of a thick carpet otherwise it'll sound like someone dropping a hammer each time you play... I'm sure there are other ways as well but no matter what I'd still argue that an Electric Drum Kit is a lot quieter than your other two instruments.

ReputationRep:

You're going to disturb people playing trumpet or acoustic drums, regardless if one is slightly louder than the other.

The sound from electric drums doesn't come from the sound of you hitting the pads, it comes from the built-in samples. If you're playing through speakers, you can adjust the volume. If you're playing through headphones, nobody will be able to hear anyway so you can play at whatever volume you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HandmadeTurnip)
    You're going to disturb people playing trumpet or acoustic drums, regardless if one is slightly louder than the other.

The sound from electric drums doesn't come from the sound of you hitting the pads, it comes from the built-in samples. If you're playing through speakers, you can adjust the volume. If you're playing through headphones, nobody will be able to hear anyway so you can play at whatever volume you want.
    oh ok...do you know if its possble to not play with a peddle? that way there will be no distrubance through the floor?

ReputationRep:
    oh ok...do you know if its possble to not play with a peddle? that way there will be no distrubance through the floor?
    Not really, the pedal is a core part of any drum kit. Depending on how thick your floor is, you might be ok. Otherwise you could try to muffle it somehow like Artimus suggested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HandmadeTurnip)
    Not really, the pedal is a core part of any drum kit. Depending on how thick your floor is, you might be ok. Otherwise you could try to muffle it somehow like Artimus suggested.
    ok thanks guys

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.