I GOT REALLY BAD AS RESULTS. I want to turn it around?

Watch
tara rose
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey I studied Biology chemistry ICT and French
I dropped French because I HATED IT
So I ended up doing 3 a levels.
Results day came and I got an A in ICT but a U in Chem and bio I really want to drop biology and carry on with chemistry A2 without repeating the whole year. I'm willing to put in the work and even get a tutor.
I tried so much to work on bio and chem but it went terribly wrong. I am very passionate about chemistry and my teacher knows this. But the results don't reflect this. IM JUST SCARED SHE WONT LET ME CARRY ON WITH A2 WHAT CAN I DO??
HAS ANYONE EVER GOT a U AT AS-LEVEL AND CHANGED IT AROUND AT THE END ??? WITHOUT REPEATING !! HELP??:mad:
MAESTRO265
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Wow! You got a U in chem and bio? Seriously TSR has surprised me with all these stories because you only have to do a reasonable amount of study during the 52 weeks in the year and you have pretty much secured a B. To get a U means you practically did 0 study, like WTF?
Revel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't know of any school/college which allows students to take U's into A2.
thetrickyfox
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have to be honest. If you can't handle AS chemistry, the chances of your doing well in A2 chemistry aren't great. Unless you literally did nothing all year and that's the reason you didn't do well (in which case the answer to your question is you need to actually study), then you might not be cut out for it.
sih97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I hope this thread gives you some motivation
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2793665
LeFailFish
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you got a U overall you would probably have to resit every exam - so repeating the year would be a lot easier. That way you could pick up another subject as well, instead of Biology, so you will still end up with three A levels.
charlottep3ng
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I suggest you talk to your college or sixth form for some advice, they're bound to be running some guidance days or have a tutor available to talk to. My college had a limit of D grade at AS level to continue to A2, but I know a few people that were able to continue with an E. I think its very harsh for anyone to say you didn't try hard, AS levels are harder than ever, especially with new exam formats in science. I would see what your college suggests for you, you may be able to find a different course that suits your skills better, you're obviously suited to ICT so I don't doubt you have the capability. It is possible to turn things around, don't be too discouraged, and be open to your options like retaking the year or a slightly different course.
tara rose
Rep:
?
(Original post by MAESTRO265)
Wow! You got a U in chem and bio? Seriously TSR has surprised me with all these stories because you only have to do a reasonable amount of study during the 52 weeks in the year and you have pretty much secured a B. To get a U means you practically did 0 study, like WTF?
I know where I went wrong and what I did that got me a U in the first place.I was balancing to much especially with the two jobs I was doing on the weekday and on the weekends.I had to work,to help support my mum. I hardly had anytime to revise and when I did I did very little. The only time I had was in class and break and lunch times including free periods. I didnt do any past papers. I just made notes from the book. I know where i went wrong. i did try. But not alot .But this time around it will be different I'm no longer going to be working and I will have more free time to concentrate on my studies.
I'm sorry I'm not like you or the others on Tsr who managed to secure a B with 52 weeks worth of revision. I would of killed for that time.
tara rose
Rep:
?
(Original post by charlottep3ng)
I suggest you talk to your college or sixth form for some advice, they're bound to be running some guidance days or have a tutor available to talk to. My college had a limit of D grade at AS level to continue to A2, but I know a few people that were able to continue with an E. I think its very harsh for anyone to say you didn't try hard, AS levels are harder than ever, especially with new exam formats in science. I would see what your college suggests for you, you may be able to find a different course that suits your skills better, you're obviously suited to ICT so I don't doubt you have the capability. It is possible to turn things around, don't be too discouraged, and be open to your options like retaking the year or a slightly different course.
Yeah I guess I could do that, thank you so much x
JammyGit07
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Wow humility is lost on some people..
German123
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by tara rose)
Results day came and I got an A in ICT but a U in Chem and bio I really want to drop biology and carry on with chemistry A2 without repeating the whole year. I'm willing to put in the work and even get a tutor.
I tried so much to work on bio and chem but it went terribly wrong. I am very passionate about chemistry and my teacher knows this. But the results don't reflect this. IM JUST SCARED SHE WONT LET ME CARRY ON WITH A2 WHAT CAN I DO??
HAS ANYONE EVER GOT a U AT AS-LEVEL AND CHANGED IT AROUND AT THE END ??? WITHOUT REPEATING !! HELP??:mad:
You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so please dont let those grades decide your fate. Also there are other options for example Btecs so its not completely the end of the world if you dont get the grades. You did the best that you could and if you have not i guess you have learnt your lesson that its though out there so be prepared...Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Edit: It is not all about a piece of paper with your name on it.Image
Butterflown
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I got a D in AS maths last year due to personal issues and retook two of the modules, as they became much easier after starting the new stuff. I came out with an A at AS this year (though this was during my A2s, and my other exams did take a hit because of it). I don't know anything about chemistry, but if the new modules will help you to understand the AS ones better, retaking is a viable option. Unfortunately your school may not see it that way. Also, if you don't understand the AS modules well enough, you will struggle with the A2 course. If you decide to drop biology and you have time to go to the AS classes as well, ask your teacher if you can. Schools occasionally let you and it can really help.

It sort of depends on what you want to do after sixth form. Jobs and vocational courses generally will be more lenient on grades than academic ones will (from what I've seen), especially if they had a system for taking into account having to work to support your mum. If you want to go to uni and study an academic subject, you'd probably do better to retake the year.

Would you be comfortable letting your school know that you're working to support your mum? They can usually do something to prevent it from affecting your studies so much.
MAESTRO265
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I know where I went wrong and what I did that got me a U in the first place.I was balancing to much especially with the two jobs I was doing on the weekday and on the weekends.I had to work,to help support my mum. I hardly had anytime to revise and when I did I did very little. The only time I had was in class and break and lunch times including free periods. I didnt do any past papers. I just made notes from the book. I know where i went wrong. i did try. But not alot .But this time around it will be different I'm no longer going to be working and I will have more free time to concentrate on my studies.
I'm sorry I'm not like you or the others on Tsr who managed to secure a B with 52 weeks worth of revision. I would of killed for that time.
Did you regularly attend parties or nights out? What was your social life like? I ask this because if you really want something you will sacrifice your enjoyment for it. I can partially relate to that and I have friends who were in very tough financial situations and drama(my area is very poor so it's quite normal). Because of money problems and health issues I had to find a job to earn enough money for long term physio and to practically live. I really wanted a university place and so I did two year A-level courses in the space of 4 months, I gave up my social life for it and did so for 2-3 years. It was definitely worth it. I think It can be done if you really want it. I dedicated all my time to my studies and it is possible. You do not need natural intelligence as I am far from that and it has all payed off.
tara rose
Rep:
?
Did you regularly attend parties or nights out? What was your social life like? I ask this because if you really want something you will sacrifice your enjoyment for it. I can partially relate to that and I have friends who were in very tough financial situations and drama(my area is very poor so it's quite normal). Because of money problems and health issues I had to find a job to earn enough money for long term physio and to practically live. I really wanted a university place and so I did two year A-level courses in the space of 4 months, I gave up my social life for it and did so for 2-3 years. It was definitely worth it. I think It can be done if you really want it. I dedicated all my time touch my studies and it is possible. You do not need natural intelligence as I am far from that and it has all payed off.
I didn't have a social life at all. Maybe if I had,I will be a lot happier than I am now. I am willing to sacrifice all enjoyment, maybe i just wasn't sacrificing enough? Im willing to do that including giving up work. Sorry for asking, but did you do your A-levels in 3 years all together?And what did you manage to achieve at the end of it all? Thank you so much for the encouragment.
tara rose
Rep:
?
(Original post by Butterflown)
I got a D in AS maths last year due to personal issues and retook two of the modules, as they became much easier after starting the new stuff. I came out with an A at AS this year (though this was during my A2s, and my other exams did take a hit because of it). I don't know anything about chemistry, but if the new modules will help you to understand the AS ones better, retaking is a viable option. Unfortunately your school may not see it that way. Also, if you don't understand the AS modules well enough, you will struggle with the A2 course. If you decide to drop biology and you have time to go to the AS classes as well, ask your teacher if you can. Schools occasionally let you and it can really help.

It sort of depends on what you want to do after sixth form. Jobs and vocational courses generally will be more lenient on grades than academic ones will (from what I've seen), especially if they had a system for taking into account having to work to support your mum. If you want to go to uni and study an academic subject, you'd probably do better to retake the year.

Would you be comfortable letting your school know that you're working to support your mum? They can usually do something to prevent it from affecting your studies so much.

yeah I think that too. everything in AS really links well with A2. I felt like i understood the modules in chemistry its just that I did not do the preperation for it, the whole past paper thing and practising enough times what I was taught. I feel like if I really took time into it I would of got higher and I just want to try again, I just feel like I can do it. I Know I can.I hope the head of chemistry sees this. I even did better in mock exams. but not for biology.
I dont know if i should mention that, I dont know if they will understand
JemimaB
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
to get into a Uni you'll have to retake but you can retake ASs whilst doing A2s. You just might not get offers. Only your school can give you answers to this really, it's up to them and their policy on what they allow students to do
AbdulKoyes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I got an E last year in AS Economics, I went into Year 13 and redid the entire Economics A-Level in the summer and I came out with a high B
MAESTRO265
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I didn't have a social life at all. Maybe if I had,I will be a lot happier than I am now. I am willing to sacrifice all enjoyment, maybe i just wasn't sacrificing enough? Im willing to do that including giving up work. Sorry for asking, but did you do your A-levels in 3 years all together?And what did you manage to achieve at the end of it all? Thank you so much for the encouragment.
I mean the 3 year period of GCSEs and A-levels. I got 6 A-levels all together. I had to take a gap year this year and the university wanted further maths so I did further maths during that 4 months and few retakes. I did 5 A-levels in the two years before. I got 5 As in AS but was in a terrible state during A2( rugby from a few years back cause spinal injury and I couldn't sit at a desk or anything, plus I had liver issues). So at the end of A2 got A maths, A biology, A chemistry, B geography, A extended project. Then I took the maths to A* this year and got B in further maths. I am in better state now had a good physio, been at the gym, liver is good just getting fitter now. I sacrificed everything though, at one time I was at a rugby club, tennis club, football club, kickboxing club, air cadets, got hammered with mates. I went from that every week to only study, it was depressing but I wanted it so much and have finally done it. Like I said I was no brain box but I did effective study and memorisation which is something you have to develop yourself. We all have our own regime. I am now due to start UCl Meng computer science (4 years). My mate who was in a tough financial situation and by no means had fun like other students worked hard and ended up getting to Cambridge. You have to be willing to have no life lol.
FeelingDepressed
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That's rubbish, I worked really hard and put most of my efforts into Biology and got an E, yet I didnt work as hard on my other subjects and got ABB.
MAESTRO265
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by FeelingDepressed)
That's rubbish, I worked really hard and put most of my efforts into Biology and got an E, yet I didnt work as hard on my other subjects and got ABB.
Well minus biology it is true because I had a similar situation. Almost 80% of my study went into biology and got AAAB in the others no problem. Still got an A in bio but for that subject you either need natural intelligence or memorisation because I just memorised the answer schemes. However for majority of others even if you do study 2 months before exams it is easy to get B
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (325)
55.75%
I don't have everything I need (258)
44.25%

Watched Threads