Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need an honest opinion here.
    Is it worth me applying to UCL to do computer science and maths.

AS Levels:
    Maths - A
    C1 - A
    C2 - A
    D1 - B
    Further Maths - B
    M1 - A
    FP1 - A
    D2 - D (Retaking)
    Physics - A
    Chemistry - B

GCSEs:
    3 A*s, 2 As, 3 Bs, 1 C.
    A* in maths, physics and chem.

Thanks (and, be honest, no sweet talking please )

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely; you have grades of AABB if I am reading correctly. As long as you have a solid personal statement and a good interview you should be fine. Computer Science isn't as competitive as History. Why do I say this? My friend applied for History at UCL which is ridiculously competitive and she had ABCC at AS. She dropped two AS's and took a whole A2 in one year. She got an offer of AAA but she got A*A*B (the B was in History). UCL took her regardless (she didn't even need to ring up). That's how much they liked her. Give it a shot. I think you're good enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roarmaster)
    Absolutely; you have grades of AABB if I am reading correctly. As long as you have a solid personal statement and a good interview you should be fine. Computer Science isn't as competitive as History. Why do I say this? My friend applied for History at UCL which is ridiculously competitive and she had ABCC at AS. She dropped two AS's and took a whole A2 in one year. She got an offer of AAA but she got A*A*B (the B was in History). UCL took her regardless (she didn't even need to ring up). That's how much they liked her. Give it a shot. I think you're good enough
    Ok thanks for that I will defo be looking to apply there then Do all courses need an interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tohaaaa)
    Ok thanks for that I will defo be looking to apply there then Do all courses need an interview?
    Not all courses. For instance, I had an interview for my course (Chemistry) but my friend, who applied for History did not have an interview. I'm not sure if CompSci applicants have interviews but my first guess would be that you do. I wouldn't worry about it for now; UCL will email you regarding what you have to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roarmaster)
    Not all courses. For instance, I had an interview for my course (Chemistry) but my friend, who applied for History did not have an interview. I'm not sure if CompSci applicants have interviews but my first guess would be that you do. I wouldn't worry about it for now; UCL will email you regarding what you have to do.
    Ok thanks , By the way, would it be ok if I PM you sometime to ask Qs about UCL?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I would say you have a good chance - just make sure to focus on your maths and further maths for A2 since they'll probably want an A* in maths.

If you have any other questions about UCL or the course let me know, I just finished second year of the CS course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucevar)
    Hi, I would say you have a good chance - just make sure to focus on your maths and further maths for A2 since they'll probably want an A* in maths.

If you have any other questions about UCL or the course let me know, I just finished second year of the CS course.
    Thanks a lot Did you need to go through an interview?
    Also, what extra curricular stuff did you do?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot Did you need to go through an interview?
    Also, what extra curricular stuff did you do?
    I didn't need to do an interview, I think that's because I would have had to get a flight to attend though. From what I've heard the difficulty of the interview tends to vary with which professor is there. A lot of my classmates' interviews seem to devolve into casually chatting about something techy with the prof.

I joined up with quite a few societies, but the main ones were Techsoc (Gaming, robots, Oculus Rift, Android programming, random tech-related things, pizza), Sci-fi and Fantasy (Films, board games and drinking) and Entrepreneurs (Start ups, tech, networking). Between those three there's something to do almost every night of the week Plus my year is pretty close so there were a lot of casual meetups for drinks etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucevar)
    I didn't need to do an interview, I think that's because I would have had to get a flight to attend though. From what I've heard the difficulty of the interview tends to vary with which professor is there. A lot of my classmates' interviews seem to devolve into casually chatting about something techy with the prof.

I joined up with quite a few societies, but the main ones were Techsoc (Gaming, robots, Oculus Rift, Android programming, random tech-related things, pizza), Sci-fi and Fantasy (Films, board games and drinking) and Entrepreneurs (Start ups, tech, networking). Between those three there's something to do almost every night of the week Plus my year is pretty close so there were a lot of casual meetups for drinks etc.
    Ah alright, seems cool What are the lecturers/lectures like? I mean, are they willing to go over the things you don't understand post-lecture? 'Cause I know uni is mostly an "independent learner" environment, but will they be willing to help if you ask?

ReputationRep:
    Ah alright, seems cool What are the lecturers/lectures like? I mean, are they willing to go over the things you don't understand post-lecture? 'Cause I know uni is mostly an "independent learner" environment, but will they be willing to help if you ask?
    There's definitely much more out there depending on your interests as well. Is there anything in particular you'd be interested in taking up?

I've found everyone in the CS department to be absolutely great - staff, admin, students, all wonderful folks, with the necessary one or two exceptions. In general lecturers are more than happy to discuss things, either after class or in scheduled appointments if you need longer. Some are friendlier than others of course, but they're all willing to help. There's a lot of cooperation with other students as well, study groups etc. Independent study is encouraged, but you'll have support as well.

The biggest issue is organisation - some lecturers are good at it, some really, really aren't. My year has been very vocal about that though and the department have done their best to implement changes, so hopefully by the time you were starting they'll have most of that ironed out. Part of the problem is that they've been updating the course and getting in a lot more industry links so we were pretty much the beta testers.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks , By the way, would it be ok if I PM you sometime to ask Qs about UCL?
    Feel free to ask away. I haven't started yet though; I will be starting in September. I will do my best to answer regardless.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.