• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    B704 - Housing Rental Bill 2014 (Second Reading), The Hon. Barnetlad MP

Housing Rental Bill 2014

A Bill to regulate the private rental of housing and those who act as letting or rental agents.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

Scope of Bill

1. Any person, partnership or company that offers, manages or advertising two or more residential properties for rent in a calendar year, except where a closed offer only to employees, shall come under the scope of this Bill.

2. For each person, partnership or company, a person shall be designated as responsible for ensuring the provisions of the Bill are met, and be known as the rental licensee.

Duties of the rental licensee

3. The rental licensee must not have had any conviction resulting in a prison sentence, or suspended prison sentence, except where deemed spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and an offence which did not place the offender on the Sex Offenders' Register.

4. The name of the rental licensee shall be displayed above at least one entrance door to the premises, in a format decreed by the Home Secretary and advised to Parliament in the form of a written statement.

5. The rental licensee shall ensure that all persons employed in the management of rented properties for their business shall have undergone appropriate training as approved by the Home Secretary, which shall be not limited to awareness of the law on rental properties, on building standards and on meeting the Equalities Act 2010 duties.

6. The duties of the Equalities Act 2010 shall be extended to all persons and businesses within the scope of this Bill.

Rental fees and charges

7. The payment required as an initial payment to secure a tenancy of any rented property under the Bill shall not exceed one month's advertised rent.

8. No charge may be deducted from the initial payment upon the conclusion of the tenancy that is not in the tenancy or letting agreement and in any case the total of said charges must not be in excess of 50% of one month’s rent. The tenant must be advised in writing of the reason for the deduction or deductions.

9. No fees, charges or other payment may be levied on the tenant other than under sections 7 or 8 to commence or renew a tenancy.

Training

10. Training providers may be accredited for the purpose of providing training under section 7, who can include but are not limited to brewers, given their experience of managing tenanted property. Timothy Taylor and Company Limited, brewers of 'Landlord' shall qualify under this Bill should they wish to provide such training.

Penalties and disqualification

11. Should a rental licensee within the scope of this Bill be convicted of any offence carrying a fine of £5000 or a prison sentence, they will be disqualified from being a rental licensee. If an eligible person is not appointed within 28 days of the rental licensee being disqualified, or otherwise leaving their position, then the business may be closed by court order.

12. The maximum penalty for infringing any provision under this Bill is one year's imprisonment or a fine of £100,000.

This Bill will apply to England and Wales and shall take effect from 1st January 2016.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, sounds good. Has my support.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Jesus this is terrible.

Writing the name of the landlord on the door? Why? Why are sex offenders unfit to let you rent a property off them? Training to rent a house? To train them in what, brewery?

As for the charges, these will merely get absorbed into the price, so instead of there being a £300 admin fee, it'll just be £300 extra in the rent. You won't save anyone any money by doing this.

This is terrible nanny stating for no reason.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I don't think writing a landlords name above front doors should ever be extended beyond pubs.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Provided there is provision for the tenants should the landlord be disqualified then I don't see any reason why not.

I get that you're trying to protect tenants however rather unfortunately this will either decrease house rentals available or increase costs on the tenant.

It's a good idea just a shame it would work in practice and I say this as a landlord as I know I'd pass on all costs incurred likewise others would too.

ReputationRep:
    Why would I vote for anything that reduces the profit landlords make? Sections 7 an 8 are the big problems. All costs should go straight to the tenant and never the landlord. For once I agree with TehFrance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birchington)
    I don't think writing a landlords name above front doors should ever be extended beyond pubs.
    The agency's premises has the name not the house or flat they rent.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 18, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.