The Student Room Group

isnt feminism pointless now women are basicaly equal?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by EatAndRevise
The Guardian is known for it's left-wing, feminist bull****.

Nowhere in that article does it say that a woman working in the same role, in the same company as a man, gets paid less.

Women find it difficult to get promoted because they do not normally push for promotions, whereas, normally men push for promotions.

Promotion is not something which just automatically comes to someone, just because they want it. Promotion must be earnt, women must learn that to get promoted, they have to push for their boss into making that decision, and they have to stop feeling a sense of entitlement because they have been "oppressed" for hundreds of years.

Men are the people getting discriminated against now, there is so much pressure to have women in companies. Women are being favoured over men in many jobs as a result of companies being frowned upon for having no female employees. For example, firefighters, I can tell you that I would not want a want a female firefighter attempting to save my life. Biologically, men are stronger, in areas like the police force and the fire brigade, I would much rather have a man than a woman working.

Hi, new person joining in the discussion.
To claim that women do not push for promotion the way men do generalizes an entire gender. Some women may not have ambition, others may do, the same as men. A bigger issue is that when a man pushes for promotion, for example, he is seen as ambitious and hard-working. When a woman asks for more of a say in the company, she is viewed as being bossy and, to put it bluntly, a b***h. This may be one of the reasons why some women don't push for promotion- they know that there is less chance of them being taken seriously.
Yes, things such as promotions must be earned. Why do you assume that women as a whole do not seek to earn a better position through hard work, but expect it to come to them? Feminism is not about having 'a sense of entitlement', as you put it. Feminism is about equality, as stated many times in this discussion. Women do not expect that things should be given to them, they expect that they will be given the opportunity to earn these things, and that the decision on whether or not they should be given it will be based on their character, with no personal prejudices based on their gender.
Also, I don't understand why you've put 'oppressed' in quotation marks. Women have been oppressed for thousands of years. They are viewed as the weaker sex, not just physically but mentally and emotionally. Until the 20th century, women didn't even have the vote, and it's taken them many years to achieve this level of equality. All the things that have always been available to men- the vote, certain jobs, a good wage- are things that women have had to fight for. Feminists- not 'crazy, man-hating' people, but women who want to have the same rights as men- have worked for decades to get these rights, and although women are more equal to men in the Western world than in other places, sexism still lingers in the way they are viewed, in the way women are expected to be fragile and delicate, the way they experience harassment in the streets, how they are objectified in the media, and yes, how they are seen in the workplace. Of course, there are cases of sexism towards men as well, and that is wrong. But sexism towards men doesn't reflect the thousands of years that they have been taught to believe that they are inferior, and that their opinions are irrelevant. That is why sexism towards women can cause more of a reaction, because women have fought for years to not have to experience it.
Women and men should be considered equally for jobs. When interviewing, the person doing the hiring should not take into account their race, gender, or any other such aspect. The only deciding factors should be their capability in doing the job, and the merit of their characters.
If you were in a fire, a woman firefighter would be perfectly capable of saving you, as she would have been trained for that purpose and selected for the job based on the fact that she can do it.
Original post by Mia1001
It's very sexist to say a woman does not strive for the same goals as men. There is no evidence for that. There are however high profile legal cases against employers who have been found guilty of prejudice.
As for the guardian, it isn't just newspapers that have reported on this. They don't just pluck information out of nowhere. The ONS has research on employment and pay.
And many articles do specify that same occupations have wildly different wages. On an overall view, it is clear that one major factor affecting pay is employment sector. But within each sector, there are differences in pay based on gender and race.

In regards to a firefighter, maybe you wouldn't want a woman. If you really needed saving I don't think you'd protest any assistance in that situation from someone with the skills. Firefighting does not have a huge impact on the economy and society. I understand that men may choose to steer towards a career that is more physical. That wasn't my argument. I am strictly sticking to high profile roles such as finance and banking, law etc which are predominantly male. These sectors have huge effects on the economy and society and women and ethnic minorities can feel "empowered". There is no need for strength in this. It is mainly academia which does not vary much between the genders, so each group should feel accurately represented, or at least have the opportunity to excel in a field.

I did not say women do not strive for the same goals as men. As a result of the Equal Pay Act, a woman and a man in the same job, will recieve the same pay.

So why do you care that there are not equal numbers of women in jobs such as engineering, and physical jobs like the police force? Is it because you do not want women doing laborious tasks? Whereas you want women working in roles such as finance and banking? There are fewer women in laborious jobs than in banking and law, so why don't you care about those jobs?

Ok, but I would rather have a male firefighter than a female firefighter attempting to save my life.

Pay should be determined on ability, a male firefighter should be paid more than a female firefighter.

All that baloney about women feeling "empowered" is hogwash. If a women wants to get into finance and banking, she can. If a women wants to become a lawyer, she can. There are thousands of lawyers in the UK.

Women do have the opportunity to excel in a field. The education system has been tailored more towards females and there are more women in universtity than men.
Reply 222
Original post by Mia1001
A lot of women are put off by the stigma associated with women in finance. Don't assume that women don't want to do mathematical subjects!!!

My maths and further maths classes are compromised of equally female and male numbers. However, the artsy subjects are dominated by women.

The feminists' problems lay with women, not men.
Original post by Rosina8
Hi, new person joining in the discussion.
To claim that women do not push for promotion the way men do generalizes an entire gender. Some women may not have ambition, others may do, the same as men. A bigger issue is that when a man pushes for promotion, for example, he is seen as ambitious and hard-working. When a woman asks for more of a say in the company, she is viewed as being bossy and, to put it bluntly, a b***h. This may be one of the reasons why some women don't push for promotion- they know that there is less chance of them being taken seriously.
Yes, things such as promotions must be earned. Why do you assume that women as a whole do not seek to earn a better position through hard work, but expect it to come to them? Feminism is not about having 'a sense of entitlement', as you put it. Feminism is about equality, as stated many times in this discussion. Women do not expect that things should be given to them, they expect that they will be given the opportunity to earn these things, and that the decision on whether or not they should be given it will be based on their character, with no personal prejudices based on their gender.
Also, I don't understand why you've put 'oppressed' in quotation marks. Women have been oppressed for thousands of years. They are viewed as the weaker sex, not just physically but mentally and emotionally. Until the 20th century, women didn't even have the vote, and it's taken them many years to achieve this level of equality. All the things that have always been available to men- the vote, certain jobs, a good wage- are things that women have had to fight for. Feminists- not 'crazy, man-hating' people, but women who want to have the same rights as men- have worked for decades to get these rights, and although women are more equal to men in the Western world than in other places, sexism still lingers in the way they are viewed, in the way women are expected to be fragile and delicate, the way they experience harassment in the streets, how they are objectified in the media, and yes, how they are seen in the workplace. Of course, there are cases of sexism towards men as well, and that is wrong. But sexism towards men doesn't reflect the thousands of years that they have been taught to believe that they are inferior, and that their opinions are irrelevant. That is why sexism towards women can cause more of a reaction, because women have fought for years to not have to experience it.
Women and men should be considered equally for jobs. When interviewing, the person doing the hiring should not take into account their race, gender, or any other such aspect. The only deciding factors should be their capability in doing the job, and the merit of their characters.
If you were in a fire, a woman firefighter would be perfectly capable of saving you, as she would have been trained for that purpose and selected for the job based on the fact that she can do it.

Firstly, I said "normally", thus, not all the time.

"A bigger issue is that when a man pushes for promotion, for example, he is seen as ambitious and hard-working. When a woman asks for more of a say in the company, she is viewed as being bossy and, to put it bluntly, a b***h."
Hahahaha, I have never read something so idiotic before, in my entire life.

"Why do you assume that women as a whole do not seek to earn a better position through hard work, but expect it to come to them?"
Not all women, a lot of women. That is exactly what is happening, women are getting jobs and universities spaces in front of men, since companies and universities are forced to take women, they have to decline many places to men who are equally qualified.

Yes, women have been oppressed in the past, but they are not oppressed anymore. Women are as equal to men, feminism is pushing and pushing to get women more rights and to have men be the 'lesser' sex.

Yes, congratulations, women have fought for their rights, and they have gained their rights.

Men are also objectified in the media.

"But sexism towards men doesn't reflect the thousands of years that they have been taught to believe that they are inferior, and that their opinions are irrelevant. That is why sexism towards women can cause more of a reaction, because women have fought for years to not have to experience it."

Ok, firstly, you are talking as if "women" are this one figure. Just because women in the past have fought for women's rights, does not mean that the women today should feel entitled because they, personally, have fought for rights.

"If you were in a fire, a woman firefighter would be perfectly capable of saving you, as she would have been trained for that purpose and selected for the job based on the fact that she can do it."

I, and many others, would much rather have a male firefighter saving one's life. Men, biologically, have more upper body strength than women, thus, it is only logical that they are suited for jobs like firefighting. Here is a reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERwzqvs7vvU

More and more women are being pushed into firefighting, and the fire brigades are having to employ women. It is absurd that a woman should take a man's place, and get EQUALLY PAID, in the firebrigade. Most men are much better suited to the job, and can perform the role at a higher standard, and therefore, should get paid a large amount of money.

And finally, it is ABSOLUTELY ridiculous that female quotas are being introduced around the world.
(edited 9 years ago)
Anyone who truly knows about feminism will know their agenda is for not about equality but privileges for themselves and normalization of their unsubstantiated anti male views.
Original post by GeorgeBradford
sorry but everywhere I look in society, women basically have equal rights with men. Women are treated equally at any important level (like in the law) - surely they have little to complain about?

its obvious feminism has gone too far. a man can hardly approach a woman now before being accused as a rapist. Many gestures seen as romantic in many other countries would be classed as sexual assault in the uk. if a woman decided to get hammered and gets assaulted, apparently it's in no way her fault because women have a right to drink, therefore they can disregard their own safety.

it's about time feminism, with its stereotyping of men as power-hungry sexual predators and women as innocent victims, changed its agenda to suit reality and not what its followers percieve.

Feminism only exists now to degrade men and distribute all social power towards women, they already overpower men at the courts and over divorce disputes to name some. It's not an equality movement but power hungry movement
Isn't the title a bit of a contradiction? There shouldn't be a movement for equality between the sexes because they are basically equal. Surely that is a reason why there should be feminism?
Original post by MattBerry96
Isn't the title a bit of a contradiction? There shouldn't be a movement for equality between the sexes because they are basically equal. Surely that is a reason why there should be feminism?

They will never be entirely equal, men and women are different, men have XY, whereas women have XX chromosomes. Men and women are equal in regards to pay, in regards to equal opportunities. Women have an advantage in the court-system and in the system of criminal sentences. Women are having quotas introduced where employers are forced to employ women and not employ men who are equally, if not more qualified for the job. Feminism is not needed, it is creating problems out of nothing, it is labelling men as things which they are not, and it is trying to make women the victims of the rapist-male agenda.
I did not say women do not strive for the same goals as men. As a result of the Equal Pay Act, a woman and a man in the same job, will recieve the same pay.

So why do you care that there are not equal numbers of women in jobs such as engineering, and physical jobs like the police force? Is it because you do not want women doing laborious tasks? Whereas you want women working in roles such as finance and banking? There are fewer women in laborious jobs than in banking and law, so why don't you care about those jobs?

Ok, but I would rather have a male firefighter than a female firefighter attempting to save my life.

Pay should be determined on ability, a male firefighter should be paid more than a female firefighter.

All that baloney about women feeling "empowered" is hogwash. If a women wants to get into finance and banking, she can. If a women wants to become a lawyer, she can. There are thousands of lawyers in the UK.

Women do have the opportunity to excel in a field. The education system has been tailored more towards females and there are more women in universtity than men.

I never said women are paid less for the same job. I said in certain sectors, women are less likely to be in higher positions which pay more. The pay of a police officer or firefighter is generally around average salary. There are no huge contrasts between the average worker and higher roles. (Policing depends on the area though). The difference in banking can be millions.

"Pay should be determined on ability, a male firefighter should be paid more than a female firefighter."

YOU ARE SO UNBELIEVABLY SEXIST IT ACTUALLY BLOWS MY MIND.
By your thinking, I believe women should be paid more because a higher percentage of women graduates. NO
Firefighters usually don't actually carry you out a building, you realise?!

Sorry I can't focus because of your outrageous comment about how women should be paid less.
Original post by Mia1001
I never said women are paid less for the same job. I said in certain sectors, women are less likely to be in higher positions which pay more. The pay of a police officer or firefighter is generally around average salary. There are no huge contrasts between the average worker and higher roles. (Policing depends on the area though). The difference in banking can be millions.

"Pay should be determined on ability, a male firefighter should be paid more than a female firefighter."

By your thinking, I believe women should be paid more because a higher percentage of women graduates. NO

Sorry I can't focus because of your outrageous comment about how women should be paid less.

And why are they less likely to be in higher positions? Because men are outperforming them, generally, women will become pregnant which takes them out of the workplace for a long duration of time. A women taking >6 months out of her job to care for her child (which is not a bad thing), will harm her career. Many women do not want to return to their jobs after pregnancies, but those who do find themselves behind their employees.

But if you are wanting 'equality' then surely women should be in as much of a spread of jobs as men are, and not just at the top of the working ladder. If you want equality then women should be pushed into sewage-working, how is that equality? If it were equality, men would not be the main workers in the sewars, but no, feminism wants 'equality' in the top earning jobs.

Using your logic:

They do not care about the equal workforce in less paid jobs, why are there more women teachers? That is not fair towards men, WHY ARE YOU OPPRESSING MEN? Men have an equal right to become teachers. Men have an equal right to get into art-school, why are there much more women in art-school? Men have a social pressure against them going into art school and into STEM subjects. What happens if a man wants to go into the field of female-studies? No, it is frowned upon.

See how stupid it sounds, yes, because it is bloody stupid.

"By your thinking, I believe women should be paid more because a higher percentage of women graduates"

What does this mean?

Firefighting is a laborious job, it requires strength, which men normally have more of. Therefore, a man is, normally, more able at performing the role as a firefighter.

Another example:

A man and a woman work at a factory, lifting boxes all day long.
The man is stronger than the woman, thus allowing him to carry more boxes in the day.
Therefore the man should be paid more. But no, the woman would scream sexism.

Another example:

Although I do not agree with most things Nigel Farage says, he does speak a lot of sense in regards to this specific topic.

Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMDZ6xxBOg0

This video exactly entails as to why many women are not making it to to the big banking firms.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah it is pointless now post feminism is more relevant.

A man and a woman work at a factory, lifting boxes all day long.
The man is stronger than the woman, thus allowing him to carry more boxes in the day.
Therefore the man should be paid more.

Why? She's giving up the same amount of time, and from the information you've given, putting in the same amount of effort.
Reply 232
Original post by slade p
Anyone who truly knows about feminism will know their agenda is for not about equality but privileges for themselves and normalization of their unsubstantiated anti male views.

Truly knows? So I assume you've been to plenty of feminist meetings and read a vast array of feminist literature to come to be so familiar with the entire feminist movement have you? Or are you just doing the classic thing of making wild generalisations based on a few wacky , misguided radical feminist ideas that are unlikely to represent the views of the movement as a whole?

Sure, western feminism isn't anywhere near as relevant as it is in other parts of the world, but like said on the first page, it still holds some relevance in western society, as the attitudes of some guys on here who still seem to hold the belief that women are inferior (and not to mention the misogyny that goes on on here as well) perhaps illustrates.
Original post by anarchism101
Why? She's giving up the same amount of time, and from the information you've given, putting in the same amount of effort.

The man has done more to benefit the factory, he has lifted more boxes than the woman has, in the time given. There are two logical options:

1) As long as the man is lifting more boxes, pay the man more than the woman.
2) Have another man take over the role of the woman i.e. firing the woman, thus allowing more boxes to get lifted in the same amount of time, and for the same amount of pay.

Effort does not matter.
Original post by Mia1001

If someone can do a job better, why shouldn't they be paid more? It would make more sense just to employ people of who can all do the job to a good standard, but if based on actual performance particularly in manual jobs of course women would be paid less (usually).

If for example a construction workers pay was based on their performance, its unlikely a woman would perform as well as a male because of lack of strength etc. and so surely would be paid less? The same way a male who lacked strength and the ability to for example move supplies in large amounts and instead had to take time returning in multiple trips would be paid less.

Your graduate example seems completely irrelevant since its not based on any specific job. If a job requires intelligence and is paid based on performance, and a woman (or women) performed the best then they should be paid more then.
(edited 9 years ago)
The man has done more to benefit the factory, he has lifted more boxes than the woman has, in the time given. There are two logical options:

1) As long as the man is lifting more boxes, pay the man more than the woman.
2) Have another man take over the role of the woman i.e. firing the woman, thus allowing more boxes to get lifted in the same amount of time, and for the same amount of pay.

Effort does not matter.

Your claim wasn't that it's in the factory's interests to pay the man more, it was that the man should be paid more. It's a big jump from saying that from an economic point of view we'd expect something to happen to saying that it's the 'right' thing to do.
Your claim wasn't that it's in the factory's interests to pay the man more, it was that the man should be paid more. It's a big jump from saying that from an economic point of view we'd expect something to happen to saying that it's the 'right' thing to do.

The man should be paid more... He has fulfilled his job to a higher standard, and has lifted more boxes than the woman has. The woman has done less, she has carried fewer boxes.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mia1001
Well the majority of girls in uni can be partly explained by the simple fact THERE ARE MORE GIRLS ON THIS PLANET. I think it is generally reflective of the work force as well and women might feel they need university to succeed. (I don't have any studies on this, I just assume)
As for the academics. The margin of women out performing males at a levels is like 0.1%. It is basically nothing. Women tend to go for language based subjects which could affect grade results. (I'm doing maths, further maths, history, economics and English lit, so a bit of both). That being said, the typical male subjects have the highest proportion of A/A*.

I haven't heard of any cases of males being put off uni because of women. Top unis are still generally more male (I'm not sure why). Oxford undergrad is around 53% male (depends on the year).

It is true girls tend to be more "obedient". That isn't to say they are naturally smart. Many just work very hard. It is the same for both sexes. Saying the opposite sex is "naturally smarter" seems like an excuse for a lack of effort.

Some quite strange arguments here. The majority of women in the world is much smaller than 5% and largely due to the longer life expectancy of women, not something that is likely to have much of an effect at university...

You are right that the issue is actually more complex than I implied. Girls outperform boys overall (including combined numbers of A and A*s) but boys still take (marginally) more A*s. I expect that has something to do with the Oxbridge figures. Also a high percentage students there went to single-sex private schools, which means those boys are obviously exposed to a much more male-friendly environment than their comprehensively-educated peers. In general, it is poor boys who are the real underachievers, failed by the education system.

You actually neatly demonstrate the attitude I complained of. Young boys are, on average, more energetic than girls, and have a correspondingly greater tendency to get distracted when asked to sit in one place and pay attention for long periods of time. I don't blame them, personally! Having children just sit and be quiet, however, is much easier for teachers and parents than occupying the more demanding needs of their male students. This categorically does not, however, mean that they are naturally any less obedient or less hard-working than girls, but nonetheless that is a depressingly common idea borne of a lazy education system. Why can't the boys just be nice and quiet like the girls? Private boys schools which have a very different ethos and occupy their pupils with far higher amounts of sport find their charges to be no less obedient or hard-working than their peers at comparable girls schools.

Finally, I do agree it is hard to educate the older generation. But, it is never too late to go to uni. Many people go to uni in their 40s and 50s. Women also tend to retire before men (I don't know why, probably just preference), which distorts the pay scale for that age group. As older people tend to be in higher positions in companies, we need to tell them that any prejudice is wrong, even if we cannot change the disproportions. Otherwise that kind of behaviour is accepted and could influence younger people who are known to be "malleable" to strong opinions.

Realistically, a woman who did not go to university, or who was not able to find an entry level job in traditionally male-dominated sector, or who was passed over for male employees at the formative stages of her career, is not going to be able to turn back the clock and gain the experience and opportunities denied to her by doing some course. It also has to be said that the real old dinosaurs who presided over such an environment are mostly long retired. But, like I said, the damage they did to that generation has been done, even though there is little evidence of genuine prejudice at the top level of large companies nowadays. I have confidence, however, that by the time our generation nears retirement, the employment statistics at the top echelons will be vastly different.
The man should be paid more... He has fulfilled his job to a higher standard, and has lifted more boxes than the woman has. The woman has done less, she has carried fewer boxes.

OK, let's test this principle. Suppose there is another man doing the same job, and lifting roughly the same amount of boxes as the first man. However, the second man is unionised, and due to the power of his union, earns a higher wage. Does he deserve more?

Alternatively, suppose the business hits bad times and the employer cuts the man's pay. Does he deserve his new pay or the old pay? He's still doing the job to the same standard as before.
OK, let's test this principle. Suppose there is another man doing the same job, and lifting roughly the same amount of boxes as the first man. However, the second man is unionised, and due to the power of his union, earns a higher wage. Does he deserve more?

Alternatively, suppose the business hits bad times and the employer cuts the man's pay. Does he deserve his new pay or the old pay? He's still doing the job to the same standard as before.

He does not deserve more, he is not working harder, and is not lifting more boxes than the other man. Trade unions are a load of crap anyway.

You are using the term 'deserve', rather loosely. If the business hits bad times, it must make sacrifices to ensure it survives, if this involves cutting wages, so be it. He may deserve his old pay, but his employer must make a sacrifice, he the worker does not like this, he must find a new job. Anyway, we do not know what he deserves, and what he does not deserve.

This is all completely irrelevant to the point I was making.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending