The Student Room Group

How many A2s are you doing/ did you do?

How many A2s are you doing/ did you do (excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking)?
I'm going to be a fresher this october at Cambridge, and I did 4 AS levels, and carried all 4 through to A2. I did Biology, Chemistry, Maths and German. As I'm reading medicine, I could have just dropped German, but I really wanted to continue it. Also since I had done a maths module in Year 11, if I hadn't have done German to A2 it would've looked like I had an easier course.

I'd say if you want to apply to Cambridge, look what they recommend on their website, and do what you need to do. Don't stretch yourself. Because it's far better getting 2 A*s and 1 A as opposed to 1 A* and 3 As. In most situations, doing more than 3 A2's is unnecessary.
Reply 2
Original post by jake46464646
How many A2s are you doing/ did you do (excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking)?

If you look at this you can see that most Arts student do three, most Science students do four. Most Science & Economics students will have double maths as part of their four.
http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/research/docs/predictor_of_tripos_performance.pdf
This is also relevant:
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/publications/docs/admissionsstatistics2013.pdf
Reply 3
I start Geography in October (so an Arts applicant) and did 4 AS subjects and 3 A2 subjects, as well as an EPQ.
Reply 4
Original post by BWCW
I start Geography in October (so an Arts applicant) and did 4 AS subjects and 3 A2 subjects, as well as an EPQ.

So you are normal?
Reply 5
Original post by Colmans
So you are normal?

It would seem so... :ninja: Though half the time in this forum, normal sometimes feels not so! :colondollar:
Reply 6
I'm also starting in October (reading English) and did 4 AS Levels plus a Language ASSET, and in A2 I did 3 A-Levels plus an EPQ. 4 isn't necessary for Cambridge/Oxford unless you really want to do it. I know someone who did 4 A-Levels because she thought it'd get her into Oxford, but she didn't get an interview even and was stuck with them for the rest of the year. :dontknow:
Reply 7
Original post by dlaiden
I'm also starting in October (reading English) and did 4 AS Levels plus a Language ASSET, and in A2 I did 3 A-Levels plus an EPQ. 4 isn't necessary for Cambridge/Oxford unless you really want to do it. I know someone who did 4 A-Levels because she thought it'd get her into Oxford, but she didn't get an interview even and was stuck with them for the rest of the year. :dontknow:

I know somebody who did three and didn't get in.

Three is typical for Arts, four is typical for Sciences. I did 6As and 5A2 and was not unusual as an Economist
Reply 8
I did 4 A2s and I'm an arts student, I don't think 4 is necessary at all though, especially if you think it might cause you to miss your offer. Also, doing 5 A2s is rare and in my opinion it's really excessive and can cause people to miss their offers just because it looks "better" to do more subjects. But not if you fail them! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by cmdexe
I did 4 A2s and I'm an arts student, I don't think 4 is necessary at all though, especially if you think it might cause you to miss your offer. Also, doing 5 A2s is rare and in my opinion it's really excessive and can cause people to miss their offers just because it looks "better" to do more subjects. But not if you fail them! :smile:

I think you will find most people who do a lot of subjects have typically done some early or are doing related courses. Many NatSci are capable of three sciences & double maths. At my school all the decent English students added in theatre studies as a fourth in half the teaching time. Many selective independent schools are so far ahead that they do AS instead of GCSE in a number of subjects. I did a french A level instead of GCSE along with several others who didn't intend to take languages at University so it didn't matter that we then dropped the subject.

I suspect the "take more subjects because it will look good" myth ois only told in schools who don't send many students to Oxbridge and don't appreciate that quality trumps quantity every time. In that sense I completely agree with you.
Reply 10
Original post by Colmans
I think you will find most people who do a lot of subjects have typically done some early or are doing related courses. Many NatSci are capable of three sciences & double maths. At my school all the decent English students added in theatre studies as a fourth in half the teaching time. Many selective independent schools are so far ahead that they do AS instead of GCSE in a number of subjects. I did a french A level instead of GCSE along with several others who didn't intend to take languages at University so it didn't matter that we then dropped the subject.

I suspect the "take more subjects because it will look good" myth ois only told in schools who don't send many students to Oxbridge and don't appreciate that quality trumps quantity every time. In that sense I completely agree with you.

I know people who have been told that 5 mediocre A2s > 4 good A2s > 3 great A2s, that's what I was referencing. Just making sure people don't think it's true :smile: I did similar subjects for A2 and it doesn't help enough that just doing similar subjects means that everyone is capable of 5 A2s. Great if you can manage it yourself, but I suspect if OP was set on doing 5, this thread wouldn't have been created.
Reply 11
I did 3 A2s but the other 4 who also got offers in my school all did 4 A2s, and we are all scientists. I was the only one to have 2A* offer out of us (everyone else A*AA/one guy had AA offer..) but that could just be college differences.
I started off with taking 4 but after

getting my timetable on day 1 if I dropped my 4th (Latin) I could go home at lunch on 2 days of the week so I did.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending