The Student Room Group

school not letting me get my result on results day

Scroll to see replies

I've done chemistry and maths, and instead of letting us get in the way of year 11s they are posting the results to us.
Reply 61
Original post by Humzaawan123
hi , so i am in year 10 and did my core science gcse in June and my school said i have to wait until we come back to school in September to get my result because they need to sort out the year 11's grades , but i really need to know my result ... what should i do ?

I've taken GCSEs the past two years (year 9 and 10) and the school posted my results to me and I recieved them the day after results day. Couldn't you ring and ask if they could post them to you or maybe email them?

I do see other people's points about year 11's (I am in year 11 so will be recieving my GCSE results next week) but when I was in year 10 I could hardly wait the extra day to get my Core Science result.
Technically, you could tell them that they're breaching JCQ Regulation 5.13.

5.13 The centre agrees to:

prior to the official dates and times for the release of results to candidates, keep result files and their contents entirely confidential to the head of centre, examinations office staff and those teaching staff who, in the opinion of the head of centre, need to be aware of the information;

distribute provisional statements of results to all candidates, either electronically or in hard copy, without delay and regardless of any disputes (such as non-payment of fees). Centres are not permitted to withhold provisional results from candidates under any circumstances. Under the terms of the Data Protection Act centres are compelled to release results to candidates upon receipt of a Subject Access Request. Alternatively, if a candidate makes a Subject Access Request directly to an awarding body in order to obtain his/her examination results, (see section 6.6, page 17) the awarding body is similarly compelled under the terms of the Data Protection Act to provide those results.

hi , so i am in year 10 and did my core science gcse in June and my school said i have to wait until we come back to school in September to get my result because they need to sort out the year 11's grades , but i really need to know my result ... what should i do ?

Exact same with me, but with statistics. We just have to wait :angry:
Reply 64
Original post by joker12345
As I said, printing out results is not hard. And that's my point, it's hard because people around will have theirs. People shouldn't have to wait, and luckily the regulations agree with me.
You mean the year 11s? No. Giving results to the year 10s will inevitably mean some distress for them which is clearly not desired when the year 11s clearly need support. Waiting for 1-2 weeks for your relatively unimportant results is obviously not as bad as not getting support when you do get them. Why don't you understand that? Do you know how big that school is? staff/student ratio? Are there enough people who know enough about gcses to deal with all enquiries from both year 10/11? No.
I'd call up a few hours later just to see if you can come in, as most of the year 11's will be gone by then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This argument is just not fair. OP deserves their result, even if it's just through email or via the post. Core Science is important, it will affect what A levels they can take, and if they've flunked it (not saying they have) they need to organise resits etc. How would you like it if the GCSE students were told to wait for a week because they need to deal with AS/A2 students who have more important grades?
Original post by Namige
You mean the year 11s? No. Giving results to the year 10s will inevitably mean some distress for them which is clearly not desired when the year 11s clearly need support. Waiting for 1-2 weeks for your relatively unimportant results is obviously not as bad as not getting support when you do get them. Why don't you understand that? Do you know how big that school is? staff/student ratio? Are there enough people who know enough about gcses to deal with all enquiries from both year 10/11? No.

No one is suggesting teachers should deal with year 10's. It's the same as A level results day, everyone gets results but teachers somehow manage to focus on year 13's. As I said, you may consider results unimportant but some people place a lot of importance on them.
Don't YOU understand that there are several options around this? One's a staggered day, year 11's at 9 and year 10's at 1 - the only reason teachers would refuse to do this is because they're lazy and cba. Another is to send them in the post so they get them the next day.
Reply 68
No one is suggesting teachers should deal with year 10's. It's the same as A level results day, everyone gets results but teachers somehow manage to focus on year 13's. As I said, you may consider results unimportant but some people place a lot of importance on them.
Don't YOU understand that there are several options around this? One's a staggered day, year 11's at 9 and year 10's at 1 - the only reason teachers would refuse to do this is because they're lazy and cba. Another is to send them in the post so they get them the next day.
No they don't. Some schools have such a low staff/student ratio that they have no choice but to give as results out a few days later.
Original post by Namige
No they don't. Some schools have such a low staff/student ratio that they have no choice but to give as results out a few days later.

Ive never seen that happening and no ones posted about it. It'd be utterly ridiculous tbh, I'd much rather get my results then talk to teachers a few days later, after I've thought about them.
Anyway, there's not much else to say as the regulation specify that they have to be given straight away. The schools who make people wait are breaking the rules.
Our school lets them come in collect results and only about 1 in 10 bother.
Reply 71
Ive never seen that happening and no ones posted about it. It'd be utterly ridiculous tbh, I'd much rather get my results then talk to teachers a few days later, after I've thought about them.
Anyway, there's not much else to say as the regulation specify that they have to be given straight away. The schools who make people wait are breaking the rules.
And therein lies the suffering.
Original post by Namige
And therein lies the suffering.

It's more suffering to not get to know your results because the school just cba. Anyway, I'm going to stop replying because you're pretty much picking up one line and replying, because I guess you have to agree with the rest.
Original post by paradoxicalme
This argument is just not fair. OP deserves their result, even if it's just through email or via the post. Core Science is important, it will affect what A levels they can take, and if they've flunked it (not saying they have) they need to organise resits etc. How would you like it if the GCSE students were told to wait for a week because they need to deal with AS/A2 students who have more important grades?

Wait, what?

They sort of are. *facepalm*
i need at least a c in core and additional science to do science A-levels at sixth form so don't say that it doesn't affect anything , it does it is an actual gcse that i will be unable to retake so it is just as important if not more important that the results of my other subjects that i will get in year 11 because i want to do sciences at A-level.

First of all, there is another exam season before you finish your GCSEs. Why cant you resit if you need to?

Also, in receiving your results Thursday, will this change which subjects you will be taking in year 11? Probably not. Its difficult to change GCSEs half way through.

If you achieve less than a C in core science, its probably not going to be the best idea to take A level sciences.

Whether you receive your results Thursday with year 11s or a week later at school it is not going to make any difference. The result will be the same but what it does do is enable the school to adjust sets before September. This is something that is important for the school and you in order to achieve the best grades possible next year.

I understand the frustration of waiting for results. You're currently waiting for 1 result. Year 11s are waiting for about 10 which will decide their next steps in education. Please remember that they have a week to make A level adjustments before September, you still have a year to sort out what A levels you will be sitting. The schools need to focus on the year 11s on Thursday. Year 10s receiving their first set of results is not of high importance at this time. In septemeber your teachers will make you their first priority and will be able to give you and your results the attention you need and to answer any questions you have about your marks, resits, etc. Don't be selfish and kick up a fuss because next year when you are year 11 they may let the year 10s have their results and might not have the time or patience to deal with double the amount of concerned children and parents on results day and your year group then may end up on the wrong A level courses. Think about that.
Last year when I did my science exams I waited till September to get my results as that's what we were told to do and I didn't want to go into school while the Year 11s were getting their results. However, some other girls from my year decided to go in on Results Day and got their science results, so if you're really desperate, either go into school or call up. I personally think it would be better to call up if you don't want to impose.
When I was in year 10, I took a Maths GCSE, and the final unit of Biology. We were allowed to come into school, just later than the year 11's (but only 30 minutes). Also, teachers didn't really pay much attention to us, but at least we all got our results. Perhaps you should try coming anyway and asking in the reception whether you receiving your results would be a problem or not.
All of you guys saying that year 10 students should just wait need to stop. These exams are clearly important to them and myself. You say we're immature 15 year olds, but how mature do you get in 1 year before you turn 16? It is our future also,l and schools nationally manage to give all students their GCSE results on one day. I know I am finding out the result of 4 subjects on Thursday, and I am in year 10. One being Maths, and as I am doing additional Maths next year I need to know this as it will effect whether I do that or not and if I can take Maths and Further Maths at A Level (no matter how confident I am, things happen). Some of my friends are finding out 6 results on Thursday.

Some students see these results as important, you might not have when you did yours but each student is different and each school is different. He may not have the chance to do the exam again next year if the school don't have the funds or other circumstances so stop assuming you know it all and try and be supportive, if not then get off of the thread. It's as simple as that.

Good Luck to all year 10 students, we can do just as well as the year 11 students if not better!

Would you be getting a grade for an entire, completed GCSE or just individual exam results???? Because then they will make you wait until September, and why do you really need to know??? Year 11's need to know so that they can make arrangements with colleges, but if you're just curious and don't actually need your results it will be easier to just wait :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest