The Student Room Group

Philosophy at UCL/KCL/LSE

Received my AS results - AAAE

As in RS (180/200), English (117/120) and History (180/200) with an E in Maths (dreadful/I can't remember!)... yeah, I screwed up pretty badly!

Was wondering whether it would be wise to pick up another AS Level this year (like Geography or Art), or would I be wasting my time? I really like the look of the Philosophy course at UCL but I'm worried that the E in Maths would prevent me from getting an offer.

I still satisfy the criteria; a fourth pass at AS Level is required (and I believe an E is still a pass)...

I'll (hopefully) be predicted A*AA - A*A*A*, but I just wanted to know (from anyone studying Philosophy or any humanities subjects at the London unis) whether I should take up another AS... long-winded, haha! Just thought I'd ask, as I don't want to go wasting a university choice.

My GCSEs are pretty strong (6 A*s, 4 As and 1 C) - just this darn E in Maths!
Original post by booroms
Received my AS results - AAAE

As in RS (180/200), English (117/120) and History (180/200) with an E in Maths (dreadful/I can't remember!)... yeah, I screwed up pretty badly!

Was wondering whether it would be wise to pick up another AS Level this year (like Geography or Art), or would I be wasting my time? I really like the look of the Philosophy course at UCL but I'm worried that the E in Maths would prevent me from getting an offer.

I still satisfy the criteria; a fourth pass at AS Level is required (and I believe an E is still a pass)...

I'll (hopefully) be predicted A*AA - A*A*A*, but I just wanted to know (from anyone studying Philosophy or any humanities subjects at the London unis) whether I should take up another AS... long-winded, haha! Just thought I'd ask, as I don't want to go wasting a university choice.

My GCSEs are pretty strong (6 A*s, 4 As and 1 C) - just this darn E in Maths!

Your combination is great already so an extra AS would be nice to have yet isn't necessary from the point of view of facilitating subjects, and neither it is from the point of view of the 4th AS, since as you pointed out yourself, E = pass. Besides, with your high UMS and A*AA - A*A*A* predictions, you are in a pretty good position already.

With regards to UCL, I believe you will be just fine. Mathematics isn't that relevant to their course. However, in case of LSE, it is a little bit different:

"Given the focus of the LSE course on logic and the scientific method, it is common and desirable to see students offering a mix of Arts and Science/Mathematics A-levels."

So you almost failing Maths might be a negative cue for them, not because of the E itself, but because of the skills they desire to see in the applicants for this program. However, I wouldn't be too disappointed, since apart from LSE and Cambridge, no undergradaute Philosophy program is sciency/mathematical (in terms of logic) enough to care for bad Maths grade, and that includes both KCL and UCL.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending