Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

So, I'm currently in a bit of a unique problematic situation right now and would appreciate advice from anywhere (Hence this post)

Basically, I had a really tough year (2013) due to personal problems and ended up kinda rushing my decision to go to uni. I originally applied for biology, which I changed to english lit right before coming to uni and now after finishing my first year I'm not sure I made the right choice at all. I study at Royal Holloway and overall I'm not that happy to be studying there - it's a gorgeous campus, but coming from London to Egham really really sucks. It's complicated as to why I put it as my firm and why I got in in the first place but I've been feeling that perhaps this isn't the uni for me. So far my course also hasn't been as awesome as I thought it would be and I'm kind of quite of bored of it as it's not really stimulating, as well as me feeling out of place with the people on my course. The only reason I probably haven't dropped out yet is because I have met really amazing flatmates who I am now close friends with and have had a great time with them (despite the not-so-exciting nightlife at RHUL). I didn't get very good grades from my first year either (2:2) and so I'm currently having an existential crisis about going back to uni for my second year...I've considered transferring to another uni (which is very daunting and complicated since a lot of unis don't do transfers and I don't have any in mind yet, except perhaps Reading), changing courses (again, no idea to what), and even dropping out to reapply through UCAS again to have a somewhat fresh start and the gap year I thought I needed. All of these are pretty big decisions and I do have support from my closest friends, although I have asked one of them (who has graduated uni) and he told me to just stick it out.

So if anyone who is in a similar situation about feeling unhappy in their course/uni or anyone who's changed courses or transferred unis could give me any advice at all I would greatly appreciate it! I don't have that much time till september and I am currently very stressed out about this

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think the most important thing is that you do something that you enjoy and are interested in, if this course isn't for you do you know what else you'd like to do? If so then I think you should do something that you want to do as you will probably enjoy your time at university a lot more 😊

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I can understand that this is probably frustrating for you and you are right that there are big decisions to make. But you sound very unhappy with your course and uni and considering if you go into second you will then have no option but to continue (because student finance won't fully fund a new course if you go past first year) then I think you really need to decide very soon what it is you want.

I personally would drop out (you could possibly see if they will let you take a year out) and figure out what I want, then go into applying for a course I'd prefer.

ReputationRep:
    I've just made the change from Bath to Manchester through clearing. Change of course too - couldn't be more excited to start again, finally happy with my choice!

You must honestly do what would make you happiest, and don't be afraid of regret. You're still young and as long as the decision you make is what you want, it's the right one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AbigailLeigh)
    I think the most important thing is that you do something that you enjoy and are interested in, if this course isn't for you do you know what else you'd like to do? If so then I think you should do something that you want to do as you will probably enjoy your time at university a lot more 😊
    Yeah I think so too! The very problem lies within the fact that I am really very unsure of what to do. I feel now that I should've taken a gap year maybe, took some varied jobs and work experiences to get a feel of what I liked and travelled a bit to get some experience instead of rushing but yeah 😓

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karina_zed)
    Yeah I think so too! The very problem lies within the fact that I am really very unsure of what to do. I feel now that I should've taken a gap year maybe, took some varied jobs and work experiences to get a feel of what I liked and travelled a bit to get some experience instead of rushing but yeah 😓

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm still unsure about what kind of career I want to have but what I thought was, if I'm doing a degree that I'm really interested/passionate about then I'm sure I'll find my way from there, I think what you need to do is just have a think about what it is that you're really passionate about and what it is that you enjoy learning about😊 there's still time for travelling and stuff after uni as well, that's what i plan to do anyway😃

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Hey, I can understand that this is probably frustrating for you and you are right that there are big decisions to make. But you sound very unhappy with your course and uni and considering if you go into second you will then have no option but to continue (because student finance won't fully fund a new course if you go past first year) then I think you really need to decide very soon what it is you want.

I personally would drop out (you could possibly see if they will let you take a year out) and figure out what I want, then go into applying for a course I'd prefer.
    Yeah definitely - could you explain the student finance thing a little bit more? So if I started a new course somewhere else they wouldn't fund it? D:
    Yeah, I'm now seriously considering doing that right now...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BPreston)
    I've just made the change from Bath to Manchester through clearing. Change of course too - couldn't be more excited to start again, finally happy with my choice!

You must honestly do what would make you happiest, and don't be afraid of regret. You're still young and as long as the decision you make is what you want, it's the right one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That sounds awesome - what course did you do before and what course did you change to? Thanks for this, I hadn't even considered clearing before you mentioned it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That sounds awesome - what course did you do before and what course did you change to? Thanks for this, I hadn't even considered clearing before you mentioned it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I changed from business at Bath to Computer Science at Manchester trust your instincts, and honestly know that there are so many options out there. Nothing wrong in taking a year out to figure everything out/work/wok experience etc whilst you decide if clearing doesn't work out!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah definitely - could you explain the student finance thing a little bit more? So if I started a new course somewhere else they wouldn't fund it? D:
    Yeah, I'm now seriously considering doing that right now...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's quite simple really student finance will only cover the amount of years your course lasts + 1 more year which they call a grace year, basically it's for if you need to re-take a year or you change your mind about the course/ uni.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 18, 2014
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.