Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    basically, I LOVE PHYSICS, and I am also very good at maths, I would very much like to do physics but i know that careers for physics graduates are not that good so i am not going to take the chance.
    I have been told that electronics engineering would be the good thing for me, it has lots of maths and lots of physics and involves alot of thinking* as some physicists were actually electronic engineers such as john bardeen*.
    On the other hand, I know by experience that computer science is very enjoyable for me, It relies on logic and thinking which for me is very satisfying, i dont know which degree i should go for.
    Is electronics engineering more about practice? or is it about complex maths and physics? does it involve logical reasoning like that experienced by students of physics or computer science?(is it intellectually hard?)
    which do u think involves more Thinking and Logical reasoning ? computer science or electronic engineering ?.

ReputationRep:
    There is very little maths theory in Electronic engineering. I intend to apply for this course and having looked online it only really touches on differentiation and integration as they are the most important maths you'll need for the course.

Computer science, on the other hand, is a lot more theory based and electronic engineering is much more practical and has a hands-on approach.

If you really do enjoy learning the logic and reasoning then you should definitely choose computer science, but what do I know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperPear)
    There is very little maths theory in Electronic engineering. I intend to apply for this course and having looked online it only really touches on differentiation and integration as they are the most important maths you'll need for the course.

Computer science, on the other hand, is a lot more theory based and electronic engineering is much more practical and has a hands-on approach.

If you really do enjoy learning the logic and reasoning then you should definitely choose computer science, but what do I know?
    electronic engineering is quite heavy on the physics and maths. It is a very theoretical course but has a lot of applicability. Most engineers will generally do the same type of maths just the skills learnt are applied differently.

ReputationRep:
    Electronics uses Applied Physics and various Mathematical methods to accomplish his/her goals but the depth at which these methods are studied is not as deep as they studied in Mathematics and Physics degrees.In an Electronics degree you will probably take 1 Maths course a semester for the first 2 years, that Maths course will cover various topics such as Calculus, Linear Algebra, Statistics and the like, whilst in a Maths degree all those topics will be taught as individual courses, so on a Maths degree you will have the time to cover each area in a lot more depth.

On an Electronics degree you will spend the vast majority of your time applying the Maths skills you learnt to various EE fields such as Control Systems or Signal Processing or CPU Design, and also gaining valuable practical skills via Labs or group design projects.

As for which one between CS and EE involves more logical reasoning, I think the answer is debatable and it depends on which area of EE or CS you concentrate on.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.