The Student Room Group

Exeter medical school applicants 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
Original post by Dr Gin
I agree that this is all very confusing and devastating if you've been left out but last year's thread was very similar as people realised with shock that the A* prediction was so significant. I can only think that Exeter were happy with the yield that last year's method had and have decided to go one step further this year by favouring more A*s. At the end of the day they need a cheap way of discriminating between lots of incredibly intelligent people and they are within their rights to adjust their methods to suit each year's batch of applicants I suppose.

In terms of favouring re-sitters over year 13's, I don't know whether this is true however there could be some logic to it: Exeter suggest at open day that they consider interview to be their best tool to establish who the best candidates are. It may be that past experience tells them that they are more likely to get good interview performances from re-sitters, after all they are an exceptionally highly committed bunch who haven't been put off by rejection/grade-dropping, they have dedicated what might otherwise have been a fun gap year to going back through this arduous process and humiliating themselves by becoming a 'year 14' student whilst their friends head off to uni. Some of them are re-sitting their A grade subjects to get A*s and many are taking on a 4th A2 as well. They have done their research, had their fingers burned last year and are well-prepared. They have often had previous interview experience plus more time to think-through the realities of the career they are trying to embark on.

I know that some of the very best candidates will be from among year 13 students but there is a reason why some universities accept re-sitters and it's certainly not because they want the extra applications to sort through...

I suppose you do make some sensible suggestions. But I disagree that they have the right to adjust their application process mid-cycle.
Medical schools can get sued for this type of behaviour because candidates spend a lot of money and time choosing their universities.
If candidates are forced on a gap year because of this then it does not bode well for universities.
It looks as though that people are not ranked at all by UKCAT even though this was a factor that was supposed to be used by exeter.

I'd be at least a little happier if Exeter went out of there way to explain what exactly has happened this application cycle and owned up to any mistakes, lack of communication or misunderstandings that may have occurred.
Aren't there loads more interviews to go out yet... for the jan/feb period?
Reply 902
Original post by jamesmanning
Aren't there loads more interviews to go out yet... for the jan/feb period?

rofl did you not read the previous posts

some1 phoned up admissions and said all interviews for school leavers were handed out now...

i wish what u said were ture
good luck elsewhere though
Original post by Ahwab

I'd be at least a little happier if Exeter went out of there way to explain what exactly has happened this application cycle and owned up to any mistakes, lack of communication or misunderstandings that may have occurred.

I feel for you man, (potential) rejection is hard enough to take when you can understand why, and right now you haven't a clue!

You haven't been rejected yet, but unfortunately it looks likely given the apparent phone conversations people have had, all I can advise is to concentrate on your a levels, keep your fingers crossed for your other choices and just wait and see what happens. I'm sure Exeter will reveal all soon, (they haven't even rejected anyone yet), and once they do I guess you can assess whether their selection criteria has been unfairly altered, until then it's just speculation :/

As I said, keep positive, you still have 3 med schools left in the game (and you still haven't been rejected yet from Exeter). 70% of all med applicants get zero offers, and whilst I completely understand your frustration at potentially being rejected from somewhere you thought was a sure thing for interview, rejection is almost an inevitability when applying for med.

1% of people get no rejections. It's not about being in the 1%, however nice that might be. It's about being in that 30% that get an offer; and with your stats you've still got a damn good chance
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 904
Original post by Dr. Django
I feel for you man, (potential) rejection is hard enough to take when you can understand why, and right now you haven't a clue!

You haven't been rejected yet, but unfortunately it looks likely given the apparent phone conversations people have had, all I can advise is to concentrate on your a levels, keep your fingers crossed for your other choices and just wait and see what happens. I'm sure Exeter will reveal all soon, (they haven't even rejected anyone yet), and once they do I guess you can assess whether their selection criteria has been unfairly altered, until then it's just speculation :/

As I said, keep positive, you still have 3 med schools left in the game (and you still haven't been rejected yet from Exeter). 70% of all med applicants get zero offers, and whilst I completely understand your frustration at potentially being rejected from somewhere you thought was a sure thing for interview, rejection is almost an inevitability when applying for med.

1% of people get no rejections. It's not about being in the 1%, however nice that might be. It's about being in that 30% that get an offer; and with your stats you've still got a damn good chance

Inspirational bro
but not enough to cheer me up lol.

I guess i will keep positive about things though
But i wont delude myself in getting false hope and secretly believe exeter has a special interview just for me.

Its better to be honest and realistic with myself anyway, numbs the inevitable pain later on

Anyway, thanks for ur advice

god luck in ur interview

the *god* is intentional lol
they should only be able to give preference to A*A*A if they are going to give offers of A*A*A, but they're not. They state that offers of A*AA and AAA will be given, therefore those achieved grades should be more than sufficient in order to obtain an interview.. there's absolutely no logic in what they've done, I mean surely from their own experience they know that 99.9% of the time people drop a grade from predicted to achieved... UGHHHH SO ANNOYING
Original post by Ahwab
rofl did you not read the previous posts

some1 phoned up admissions and said all interviews for school leavers were handed out now...

i wish what u said were ture
good luck elsewhere though

I got an interview. I just presumed the December batch wasn't the only one/ I mean how many people can they realistically interview over just two weeks?
Good luck everyone.
Whilst each year, only 10% of Exeter applicants take up a place, the percentage of medicine applicants who eventually get a place at medical school is about 3 times higher (30%)

Need to keep calm folks - Exeter may have decided who they want to interview, but I doubt they have informed everyone yet. After all, it would give an advantage to the ones who are interviewed the latest.
Original post by Doodle00
Just rang myself and the guy said all the interviews have been handed out. Exeter is the one place I really wanted to go and being rejected for seemingly no reason is ridiculous. I'm almost certain it was based off GCSEs or something. I have A*A*AA achieved, 690 UKCAT but my GCSEs are 2A*s, 4 As and 4 Bs. Actually devastated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually feel bad for getting an interview now, my stats are:
alevels: A*A*AAb (achieved)
ukcat: 675
gcses: 2A* 8As 2Bs
ask why you've been rejected?
Original post by whymedicine
I actually feel bad for getting an interview now, my stats are:
alevels: A*A*AAb (achieved)
ukcat: 675
gcses: 2A* 8As 2Bs
ask why you've been rejected?

It might be that my A*s aren't in science or perhaps they have used gcses as yours are far better than mine. I'm going to wait until I have actually been rejected and then ring and ask for feedback. Ultimately I have no idea but don't feel bad, I have other interviews and we can all only go to one medical school in the end. Well done on your interview :smile:
When I rang he stated "Unfortunately all the interviews for school leavers have been processed. We are now processing graduate entry" to which I replied "oh", thanked him......

Fair enough, surely it just means that they have decided who they want to interview? Its possible that there are many invites to be sent out still. So if you are waiting, remember your chance will come.
(edited 9 years ago)
It might be that my A*s aren't in science or perhaps they have used gcses as yours are far better than mine. I'm going to wait until I have actually been rejected and then ring and ask for feedback. Ultimately I have no idea but don't feel bad, I have other interviews and we can all only go to one medical school in the end. Well done on your interview :smile:

Hmmm might be? Or ucas points (that's what barts and the london does)?
anyway best of luck for your other interviews, where are they at?:smile:
I'm annoyed that exeter used the most unreliable part of the application (predicted grades) as the main area of focus rather than UKCAT scores or AS/GCSE grades which are much better indicators of academic ability / aptitude for the course. Of course, they have the right to change their selection criteria at any stage, but I don't understand why they chose to raise the predicted/ achieved grades requirement rather than the UKCAT cutoff? What on earth could be their reasoning behind it, other than to save time and select candidates very quickly without paying much attention to the rest of the application (although this argument could be used to support a high UKCAT cutoff as well)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe they are using the personal statements this year?? Everyone needs to chill.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jaska
Everyone needs to chill.

NEVAR!!11!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who else has an interview tomorrow? If so how are you feeling about it?

I feel I have prepared enough but I'm still sooooooo nervous. 😫

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Muhaha_6
I don't understand, their website doesn't even mention the basic GCSE requirements of Bs in English lang and Maths (unless I'm not looking in the right place) and I asked them and they said to me that they don't really take GCSEs into consideration and that its all about predicted and UKCAT? How can they suddenly change their selection criteria like that without informing us?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty sure interviews weren't given out based on GCSEs, I got an interview and don't have any A*s, & only two As at GCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by the A* guy
Who else has an interview tomorrow? If so how are you feeling about it?

I feel I have prepared enough but I'm still sooooooo nervous. ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

really nervous D: I feel like I have good ideas for most questions but I'm still worried about being asked a question and having nothing to respond with. I'm going through 'medicine in the news' now to make sure I'm up to date
Those who have interviews, don't worry, chill. I had three interviews last year (unfortunately, no place), and Exeter were by far and large, the nicest panel. They're very friendly, and they still ask the difficult questions, but you feel far more at ease, they make you feel very welcome.
Original post by Don'tMessThisUp
Those who have interviews, don't worry, chill. I had three interviews last year (unfortunately, no place), and Exeter were by far and large, the nicest panel. They're very friendly, and they still ask the difficult questions, but you feel far more at ease, they make you feel very welcome.

Did you get feedback on what you did wrong at interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending