The Student Room Group

Exeter medical school applicants 2015!

Scroll to see replies

The wait is horrible, I can't believe I was so relaxed October- December about interviews I just put them out of mind but now I can't bear it!!!! The 20 mins went by soooooo quickly and to top it off on the very first actual situation question the interviewer paused (for a decent amount of time) so I thought that was the end of the question so I started to give my answer but it turned out they still had a line left to say!!! Absolutely mortifying. That too right at the start of the interview! I hope that doesn't ruin my chances of getting in?!?!? That's such a silly thing to do on my part but in my nerves I thought they had finished! So scared that that alone has jeopardised my chances of getting in :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maverick07
The wait is horrible, I can't believe I was so relaxed October- December about interviews I just put them out of mind but now I can't bear it!!!! The 20 mins went by soooooo quickly and to top it off on the very first actual situation question the interviewer paused (for a decent amount of time) so I thought that was the end of the question so I started to give my answer but it turned out they still had a line left to say!!! Absolutely mortifying. That too right at the start of the interview! I hope that doesn't ruin my chances of getting in?!?!? That's such a silly thing to do on my part but in my nerves I thought they had finished! So scared that that alone has jeopardised my chances of getting in :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
when in my plymouth interview they asked me if I want them to read the scenario to me and my answer was "Emmm i don't know, which is best.... Emmm ok?"
which I thought blew the interview but i ended up getting an offer so it just goes to show that something silly like that won't decide on wether you get a place or not :smile:
Someone on the connect page is listed as on the waiting list...does this mean they've started giving stuff out??
Original post by MollyMcFly1
Someone on the connect page is listed as on the waiting list...does this mean they've started giving stuff out??

I expect they are referring to the pre-interview waiting list.
Original post by whymedicine
when in my plymouth interview they asked me if I want them to read the scenario to me and my answer was "Emmm i don't know, which is best.... Emmm ok?"
which I thought blew the interview but i ended up getting an offer so it just goes to show that something silly like that won't decide on wether you get a place or not :smile:

Congratulations on getting an offer firstly, can't even imagine how happy you must be! :smile: I really hope you're right and they'll ignore it rather viewing my interruption as a negative trait of character but who knows! Do you know if exeter use only the interview as a basis of their offer or your total academic profile? I remember reading somewhere that it's interview only......Other unis who only use interviews such as Plymouth, st georges and UCL normally respond within a couple of days (or so I'm told by my friends) and Ms Aku from admissions offhandedly said in her interview speech that afterwards they'll look at interview score "and your overall ucas application" and aim to inform us by end of January. Had I not been such a bundle of nerves I would have sought clarification on the spot. Did anyone else hear her say this? Or am I misunderstanding her words?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congratulations on getting an offer firstly, can't even imagine how happy you must be! :smile: I really hope you're right and they'll ignore it rather viewing my interruption as a negative trait of character but who knows! Do you know if exeter use only the interview as a basis of their offer or your total academic profile? I remember reading somewhere that it's interview only......Other unis who only use interviews such as Plymouth, st georges and UCL normally respond within a couple of days (or so I'm told by my friends) and Ms Aku from admissions offhandedly said in her interview speech that afterwards they'll look at interview score "and your overall ucas application" and aim to inform us by end of January. Had I not been such a bundle of nerves I would have sought clarification on the spot. Did anyone else hear her say this? Or am I misunderstanding her words?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The way I understood what she said was that if you're borderline they refer back to your overall application (UKCAT, personal statement etc) to make a final decision, but that could be wrong :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Look dude I can see why your nervous about finding out but trust me when I say this. They don't really seem to care much about how good your interview is, your personality is what seals the deal. I too have an offer from Plymouth (yay!) but personally I thought my interview performance was dreadful in terms of how I gave the answers: they were all over the place, I rushed into them, stuttered so much and at times even forgot to maintain eye-contact (lol). There were even times where I felt that I didn't even answer the question. I did feel that I came across as friendly, polite and respectful but apart from that I didn't think I deserved one with all the competition out there. However, when I got my offer it made me realise that actually they must have not really cared much about my answers and just liked me as a person. As long as they liked you then you're good.
Original post by Dr Gin
I expect they are referring to the pre-interview waiting list.

Oh yeah that would make sense! Sorry for any heart failure caused :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks and yeah over the moon especially as I'm reapplying and last year I didn't even get an interview :smile: and yeah I heard them say that as well, but who knows what they're doing. They could be pulling names out of a hat and we'd never know :smile:
The way I understood what she said was that if you're borderline they refer back to your overall application (UKCAT, personal statement etc) to make a final decision, but that could be wrong :smile:

I agree, the impression I have is that they give offers to high interview performers and then look more holistically at the UCAS application for borderline performers to help choose between them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry I don't know how to quote multiple people on this app but thank you for all of your answers, they've been really helpful!
(edited 9 years ago)
Does anyone know how many offers Exeter's likely to make at the end of January? I know they've said they'll hold a number of applications to compare them to the February interview cycle too :/
any update on feb interviews for people on the reserve list? They said we'd hear by the 31st.. hoping for some good news lol
Original post by cwi111
Does anyone know how many offers Exeter's likely to make at the end of January? I know they've said they'll hold a number of applications to compare them to the February interview cycle too :/

My guess is 160-175. They said they'll do a max of 60 more interviews in Feb, and they usually give around 220 offers total, so about 60 offers will still be up for grabs :smile:

Original post by JudgeJudy96
any update on feb interviews for people on the reserve list? They said we'd hear by the 31st.. hoping for some good news lol

That's the same deadline for the post-interview responses so what I imagine is that you will all hear after decisions have been made. There are still up to 60 more interviews to be handed out so there's still a chance!
Original post by Dr. Django
My guess is 160-175. They said they'll do a max of 60 more interviews in Feb, and they usually give around 220 offers total, so about 60 offers will still be up for grabs :smile:

That's the same deadline for the post-interview responses so what I imagine is that you will all hear after decisions have been made. There are still up to 60 more interviews to be handed out so there's still a chance!

thats quite promising actually, thanks for your help!!
I know we won't hear for another 2 weeks or so but is anyone else getting jumpy already?? :')
I know we won't hear for another 2 weeks or so but is anyone else getting jumpy already?? :')

Definitely wish we could fast-forward...:run:
Did they mention a specific date for the offers, or was it just end of January?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jaska
Did they mention a specific date for the offers, or was it just end of January?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They just send end of January. Last year it was 31st Jan so I'm guessing it'll be the same this year

Definitely! Exeter's now my favourite so I'm really nervous xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending