Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello.
    I am an international student and I want to apply to Oxford. I have a few questions. Thanks for your help.

1. Recently I received my AS results. AAAA in mathematics, further mathematics, chemistry and economics. But I don't think my core maths are good enough, compared with the further maths. What are my chances? Do I need to take Additional Further Maths?

2. I want to take a master degree in mathematical finance and work as a quant in the future. So which course suits me? I just cannot decide among the options: Mathematics, Mathematics and Statistics, Mathematics and Computer Science. Could you offer me some suggestions?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jiayun Tong)
    Hello.
    I am an international student and I want to apply to Oxford. I have a few questions. Thanks for your help.

1. Recently I received my AS results. AAAA in mathematics, further mathematics, chemistry and economics. But I don't think my core maths are good enough, compared with the further maths. What are my chances? Do I need to take Additional Further Maths?

2. I want to take a master degree in mathematical finance and work as a quant in the future. So which course suits me? I just cannot decide among the options: Mathematics, Mathematics and Statistics, Mathematics and Computer Science. Could you offer me some suggestions?

Thanks.
    1. The grades and subjects are fine - they key is to have done well enough to be predicted (and get) A*A*A and do well on the MAT and interview.
    2. Choose whichever course interests you most - you'll stand the best chance of the career you want (who knows what that will be in a few years' time when you come to apply for jobs?) if your marks are good and that depends to a significant extent on you maintaining motivation because you're studying something you enjoy.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.