The Student Room Group

Should sixth form's have a uniform?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChocolateMelody
My sixth form has a uniform and I'm quite glad it does to be honest - it saves the hassle of finding something to wear every morning and because it's largely the same as the year 7-11 uniform (white shirt instead of a yellow one) it means money is saved as well.

Do you go to Watford Grammar by any chance? :smile:
I have a neutral stance on this. I really don't see any real positives or negatives of a school's sixth form having a uniform... (Mine does)
Original post by RayApparently
I agree to an extent.
How do you feel about 6th forms where they wear suits?

With a large proportion of well-paid jobs being in the STEM category where suits would likely feature, I think that it's a good idea to get students used to wearing and being comfortable in suits. Especially for interviews.

However suits can't be really compared to uniforms... wearing a suit (I understand I'm perhaps stereotyping a little) can make you feel more adult, mature, confident... people in suits also tend to command more respect than those in nike tracksuits. There's also significant room for self-expression.

I would still (if I was setting school policy) make it "extremely advisable/ recommended" rather than blanket enforcement. It's important that students who hate wearing suits aren't necessarily forced into wearing one- people underestimate how much simply being comfortable when in a learning environment can help them focus and learn.
like this? : The-Inbetweeners-006.jpg
I think it's weird that some sixth forms don't have uniforms. but enforce formal dress. I mean, you're children for prada's sake, you should be allowed to dress like a slob.
Original post by RayApparently
I like the Sixth Form's where you get to where your own suit.
You don't have to look for something to wear everyday, you still look smart, and you get to add variation for the first time in an age.

I have to get a suit and buy a tie on the first day (although we haven't been told how much it is -.-) :biggrin:

But I prefer some sort of uniform/suit. With the bonus of looking smart, there's no hassle picking clothes or anything. I'll know what I'll be wearing every day.
Nope, I see uniforms as a way of creating a community within the school when in fact most students like myself couldn't give a toss. I'd rather wear what I want to wear than pay money for something I don't like. The only rules on school uniform should be for safety.
Original post by FutureHeartSurg
With a large proportion of well-paid jobs being in the STEM category where suits would likely feature, I think that it's a good idea to get students used to wearing and being comfortable in suits. Especially for interviews.

However suits can't be really compared to uniforms... wearing a suit (I understand I'm perhaps stereotyping a little) can make you feel more adult, mature, confident... people in suits also tend to command more respect than those in nike tracksuits. There's also significant room for self-expression.

I would still (if I was setting school policy) make it "extremely advisable/ recommended" rather than blanket enforcement. It's important that students who hate wearing suits aren't necessarily forced into wearing one- people underestimate how much simply being comfortable when in a learning environment can help them focus and learn.

That's probably the best policy.
Should sixth form's have a uniform an apostrophe?

In my area there are no post 16 providers with uniforms. Introducing one would be catastrophic for our numbers as students would vote with their feet.
Original post by FutureHeartSurg
Some cheap points are being able to dress appropriately for the weather etc

Yes, yes. 1000 times yes.
At our school we couldn't wear coats and hats in winter inside buildings. Fair enough in a classroom but we had to take them off when we came in and put them on when we went out, which was extremely inconvenient and pointless when moving through the school.

And in summer we had to wear blazers and ties with the top button on the short done up.

Original post by Lord Harold
Absolutely. If you look at the statistics every school in the top 10 results-wise has a uniform at sixth form. Students don't function properly not in uniform, they no longer view it as school and instead some sort of doss. If a sixth form doesn't have a uniform it is a sure sign that it is rubbish!

Ever heard the phrase "correlation is not causation"? Uniform doesn't improve results or make people work better, it's just the more disciplined schools also tend to have uniform. The uniform part itself does not cause the difference.

Our sixth form gets good (higher than average) results and in many years sends one or two students to Oxford and Cambridge, and we don't have uniform. Sixth form uniform doesn't increase results, good quality teaching and plenty of revision does.
We could wear whatever we wanted to sixth form. This was in the olden days though, a lot of schools have a smart dress code for sixth form nowadays.
At my school sixth year are required to wear a uniform like the rest of the school i.e shirt, blazer, tie, skirt/trousers and black shoes, however in their final year the school tends to be far more lenient and allow grey trousers or loosen up on enforcement of blazers- unless they have chosen to be house captain, year boy/girl or a prefect and nobody really has any issues about this, they know when they get to sixth year they'll get a bit of slack too
Original post by RFowler
We had a basic dress code but no uniform. Basically you could wear what you wanted, within reason.

Sixth forms shouldn't have uniform. With younger kids uniform puts everyone on a level playing field and stops people getting bullied for having only cheap clothes. At that age it also teaches them to follow rules. At sixth form I just don't think it's necessary.

so no studied jeweled codpieces with no shirt or trousers then?
I'm generally against uniforms full stop so no.
No. My school doesn't. It treats you more like a uni student.
If it's a uniform like the proper school uniform you wear in Years 7-11 then yeah because you don't have to decide what to wear every morning. Other than that, no, because at the sixth form I want to go to, we have to wear suits which are expensive and ugly and a hassle in my opinion and I'd rather have no dress code over that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes,please. It would save a lot of trouble plus I love uniforms.....I feel safe in them
We had to wear Business Smart clothes. Trousers, a shirt, tie, dress shoes, jumpers and cardigans were accepted. I enjoy it to be honest.
We had smart casual. This meant no on really new what we could and couldn't wear (Excepts jeans, the world will implode if you wear jeans).

I just wore outdoorsy type clothing for some reason. Got away with that.
no dress code at any state colleges where I'm from, glad too as it just makes you look like you are still at school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending