Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting my a levels next month and was just wondering what kind of stationary/organisational system people used/recommend. I'm doing English, history, politics and biology, so that's 3 essay based subjects meaning I'll be doing a lot of writing - what do people suggest I buy? cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A pen

ReputationRep:
    A few lever arch folders and notepads
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    paper and those instruments that you use for writing :rolleyes:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by cathrg26)
    A pen
    not just one pen, it's not enough lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysmile)
    not just one pen, it's not enough lol
    It was one more than I had at the start of term aha. I left my bag at home

ReputationRep:
    Everything, literally buy the entire stationary store, because no doubt you WILL end up with like one pen by the end of the year, maybe even sooner, I know I did

ReputationRep:
    I'm a freak that loves organisation and stationary, so here's what I have. I'm studying a2 history, a2 literature and as creative writing.

-ball point pens, all black (usually about 5)
    - highlighters
    -fine liners (I like colourful mind maps)
    -ruler

-ring bound notebook for each subject for class notes
    - folder for each subject for neater, easier to understand notes that I've rewritten, as well as past papers and homework/practice essays
    -I also like using flashcards for revision etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joe_guntrip)
    I'm starting my a levels next month and was just wondering what kind of stationary/organisational system people used/recommend. I'm doing English, history, politics and biology, so that's 3 essay based subjects meaning I'll be doing a lot of writing - what do people suggest I buy? cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But seriously... You'll also need highlighters esp. for English and History. When I did English (AS) you would be annotating in books, so pencils seem to be easier as a lot of pens bleed into the thinner pages (classics). You'll also be annotating a lot in History so different colour pens. Get a pad of paper if your school doesn't provide them. A USB is practically a necessity as you'll be presenting in all 3

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone, I'll go to paperchase soon and purchase items

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think you mean stationery rather than wanting to be motionless for sixth form....

ReputationRep:
    What my teachers advise me was to keep a lever arch folder for each subject at home and then have 4 ring binder folders to take to school and when you go home you can organise or re write the class notes into the respective lever arch folder

ReputationRep:
    I think you might mean 'stationery' lol

You could get four large lever arch files with subject dividers, and one smaller ring binder, also with subject dividers. If you write on paper from refill pads and put it in the ring binder (with one section per subject, separated by the dividers) you could then move your work from the ring binder to the lever arch files at the end of each half term, and copy up only the bare essentials that you will definitely need in future lessons into the ring binder again. You could use the dividers in each lever arch file to separate different topics within a subject.

That would mean you'd need:
    -loads of pens
    -one ring binder
    -four lever arch files
    -five sets of dividers (the plastic kind, not paper. Paper ones just fall apart)
    -refill pads.

WHSmith sell these popper folders that have holes one the side that allow you to put them into ringbinders or lever arch files. It might be an idea to get a pack of them, to put homework or whatever in.

That's what I'm going to do anyway, and it's what my (older) cousins did, although I don't think they really stayed that organised throughout sixth form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aisa)
    I think you might mean 'stationery' lol

You could get four large lever arch files with subject dividers, and one smaller ring binder, also with subject dividers. If you write on paper from refill pads and put it in the ring binder (with one section per subject, separated by the dividers) you could then move your work from the ring binder to the lever arch files at the end of each half term, and copy up only the bare essentials that you will definitely need in future lessons into the ring binder again. You could use the dividers in each lever arch file to separate different topics within a subject.

That would mean you'd need:
    -loads of pens
    -one ring binder
    -four lever arch files
    -five sets of dividers (the plastic kind, not paper. Paper ones just fall apart)
    -refill pads.

WHSmith sell these popper folders that have holes one the side that allow you to put them into ringbinders or lever arch files. It might be an idea to get a pack of them, to put homework or whatever in.

That's what I'm going to do anyway, and it's what my (older) cousins did, although I don't think they really stayed that organised throughout sixth form.
    thanks very much! yeah I realised I used the wrong spelling as soon as I posted but I don't know how to change it I will look at getting all of that then, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest getting two lever arch folders for biology, one for unit 1 and one for unit 2, because trust me one will not be enough

ReputationRep:
    Get pens with those squishy, comfortable things on. They ensure your hands don't look like, and feel like, they've done 15 years of hard labour.

ReputationRep:
    Nah mate I'd move you'll get better grades

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much very similar to GCSE. Lever arch folders, notepads, pens, highlighters :P

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Having took both history and politics both to A2, as well as the usual folders and paper there are a few other things I found really useful:

Highlighters: I think I used these in pretty much every lesson, you gets tons of articles in politics plus other things like powerpoint slides, info sheets etc. in both subjects so highlighters are really useful
    USB stick: For when you're doing a big essay and working on it at sixth form and at home
    Diary/planner: Get one with a decent amount of space for each day as sometimes there's a lot of info to copy down for things like homework. You can get some good ones for fairly cheap.
    Red/Green biros: good for when you get work back and need to go over a few things again.
    Fineliners: Useful for revision

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Go for a fountain pen instead of ballpoints. Your hands and wrist will thank you for it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.