The Student Room Group

How hard is it to get an A at A2 after getting B at AS?

Hello,

I got BBB in my AS's in History, Politics and Philosophy this year. I didn't do 4 subjects because my school wanted me to do general studies and it's a waste of time in my opinion so I'm picking up an AS next year while doing my A2s.

I was wondering, how hard is to get an A overall after getting a B at AS? Is it achievable? I would preferably like to get at least AAB at the end of year 13.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It really depends on how high your B was.

I acheived an AAB this year at A2 but I done Bio Chem and Maths.

Post your exact ums scores for each of your units.
Reply 2
I got 144 for History, 149 for Politics and 153 for Philosophy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
It is very achievable but you will probably have to resit at least one exam depending on how high your B was. I was 5UMS from an A in chem at AS last year so decided to resit the unit 2 exam to give me a better chance of the A at A2. Thank goodness I did - I did a lot, lot better in the resit and if I hadn't resat, I'd have come out with a B this year. I worried the extra revision for the resit would distract from A2 revision but I was able to balance it better than I thought and it had no detrimental effect. Chat to your teacher to see if it's worth resitting your lowest scoring exam :smile: You could get an A without resitting if you scored high enough at A2 but this is a risky strategy. You'd have to get close to the 90%, if not above, to pull your B up.
Original post by KCheema
I got 144 for History, 149 for Politics and 153 for Philosophy

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need 320/400 total for an A. So you need 176/200 for History, 171/200 for Politics and 167/200 for Philosophy. Hard, but doable. And because of History, if you did get up to the desired level you'd probably get A*AA.
Reply 5
What do you mean because of history?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Andaxay
It is very achievable but you will probably have to resit at least one exam depending on how high your B was. I was 5UMS from an A in chem at AS last year so decided to resit the unit 2 exam to give me a better chance of the A at A2. Thank goodness I did - I did a lot, lot better in the resit and if I hadn't resat, I'd have come out with a B this year. I worried the extra revision for the resit would distract from A2 revision but I was able to balance it better than I thought and it had no detrimental effect. Chat to your teacher to see if it's worth resitting your lowest scoring exam :smile: You could get an A without resitting if you scored high enough at A2 but this is a risky strategy. You'd have to get close to the 90%, if not above, to pull your B up.

Yeah thats my worry... I dont want it to ruin my other grades if I do resit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends on how high your b was. Also depends on the grade boundaries of the year the paper will be marked. In English lit at as I got a b overall. A in coursework amd high c in exam. Then this year at a2 I got a in coursework and a in exam and my overall was a*. It all depends on how well you work in the year and the grade boundaries. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest