The Student Room Group

What language do you think in?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Andy98
My mother tongue is English - I can speak it (ish), I did a GCSE in French but I wouldn't be able to hold a conversation in it.

Yeah, GCSE languages are a bit iffy.

You can only develop some kind of fluency at A Level from what I've heard.
Reply 61
Original post by godd
Yeah, GCSE languages are a bit iffy.

You can only develop some kind of fluency at A Level from what I've heard.

Yeah, my French teacher even said at the end of the course, and I quote: "Congratulations, the best of you will now be able to talk to a 7 year old in French."
I can sometimes hear a voice echoing in my head and dictating my thoughts, which is always in English, but, when I talk to people in English my mind sometimes goes blank and I can't even remember my own language.
I'm from Romania. So English is my second language. Studying in a bilingual high school though and having more English classes than Romanian ones has actually made me gradually forget my own language, both in terms of grammar and vocabulary, which is incredibly frustrating. I'd often find myself talking to people in Romanian and not being able to think of some words, and either replacing them with ones in English or through signs.
I now feel like I'm an idiot that can't even talk concisely in my mother tongue.
Reply 63
bump
Reply 64
bump
Reply 65
Original post by LaMandarine
I can sometimes hear a voice echoing in my head and dictating my thoughts, which is always in English, but, when I talk to people in English my mind sometimes goes blank and I can't even remember my own language.
I'm from Romania. So English is my second language. Studying in a bilingual high school though and having more English classes than Romanian ones has actually made me gradually forget my own language, both in terms of grammar and vocabulary, which is incredibly frustrating. I'd often find myself talking to people in Romanian and not being able to think of some words, and either replacing them with ones in English or through signs.
I now feel like I'm an idiot that can't even talk concisely in my mother tongue.

So you think in English then?
Original post by godd
So you think in English then?

Whenever my mind thinks like thinking of anything, then yes xD
Reply 67
Original post by Andy98
Yeah, my French teacher even said at the end of the course, and I quote: "Congratulations, the best of you will now be able to talk to a 7 year old in French."

That's so true. They need to build up the intensity more I feel. Like Year 7 to Year 9 is like learning a language from a tourist handbook.

Because in 5 years at a good intensity, you could become partially fluent.
Reply 68
Original post by LaMandarine
Whenever my mind thinks like thinking of anything, then yes xD

Wow, that reply was quick.
Original post by godd
Wow, that reply was quick.

Super sonic speed :cool:
Reply 70
bump
Reply 71
bump
Reply 72
Original post by godd
That's so true. They need to build up the intensity more I feel. Like Year 7 to Year 9 is like learning a language from a tourist handbook.

Because in 5 years at a good intensity, you could become partially fluent.

Yeah that's true

Quick Reply

Latest