Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

I decided to take a gap year in year 12 and was hoping to get AAA this year so I could apply for undergraduate medicine (my AS grades were BBBC). Unfortunately, I got BBB overall for biology, chemistry and maths.

I know that undergraduate medicine is not an option now because most universities do not like A2 resits, so I've decided to try biomedical sciences. I have researched and some universities accept BBB however this is only a few. The majority accept AAB-ABB and I would prefer to have this range of results so I have more options of universities to choose from.

I have opted to get a remark for my chemistry exams, as my overall mark is 468 which is 12 UMS off an A. Is there a possibility I could get this?

If the remark is unsuccessful, I might have to do some retakes and I am wondering whether universities accept retakes for biomedical sciences?

Any advice would be great, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    You could always consider an access to medicine course.

ReputationRep:
    12 UMS is quite a lot, unless the examiner ****ed up it's gonna remain a B.

Try foundation courses and see if you meet their reqs?
    You can repeat but I believe some unis want AAB or ABB minimum on first attempt before they'll consider you a resit applicant.

I had a friend in your situation who got AAB last year and he managed to get an offer for A*AA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittr n swt)

You can repeat but I believe some unis want AAB or ABB minimum on first attempt before they'll consider you a resit applicant.

I had a friend in your situation who got AAB last year and he managed to get an offer for A*AA.
    Hi I did my AS and got my results it was awful got ADDE and thats definately not enough for medicine, I have no clue what to do with my life.
    Should I retake year 12 again or continue to A2 and work extra hard, but then again my A2 grades wont be amazing for medicine.
    Please help
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Futuredoctor2)
    Hi I did my AS and got my results it was awful got ADDE and thats definately not enough for medicine, I have no clue what to do with my life.
    Should I retake year 12 again or continue to A2 and work extra hard, but then again my A2 grades wont be amazing for medicine.
    Please help
    Thanks
    I don't know a lot about medicine applications but I do know that if you get predicted AAA(somehow) then apply this year.
    If you don't get predicted AAA then don't bother applying this year but I will suggest you go into year 13, work your ass off and resit modules.
    Hopefully if you get AAA next year results day then you can apply for med.

ReputationRep:
    If you do well in your biomed course and the UKCAT then you'll be able to enter for graduate medicine

ReputationRep:
    A 12 UMS increase is an awful lot to hope for a chemistry remark tbh.

Better off going to a BBB uni to study biomedical sciences, do well, and apply for graduate medicine after.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know a lot about medicine applications but I do know that if you get predicted AAA(somehow) then apply this year.
    If you don't get predicted AAA then don't bother applying this year but I will suggest you go into year 13, work your ass off and resit modules.
    Hopefully if you get AAA next year results day then you can apply for med.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rowena97x)
    You could always consider an access to medicine course.
    I looked and their criteria doesn't apply to me, it's mostly for non-science a levels or having an underprivileged background but thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Okay thanks, did your friend apply the same year that he retook? Do you know if your friend mentioned about the retakes in his PS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h3isenberg)
    A 12 UMS increase is an awful lot to hope for a chemistry remark tbh.

Better off going to a BBB uni to study biomedical sciences, do well, and apply for graduate medicine after.
    Yeah so far this seems like my option at the moment, I might need to contact universities about their resit policies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smuu)
    Hey everyone!

I decided to take a gap year in year 12 and was hoping to get AAA this year so I could apply for undergraduate medicine (my AS grades were BBBC). Unfortunately, I got BBB overall for biology, chemistry and maths.

I know that undergraduate medicine is not an option now because most universities do not like A2 resits, so I've decided to try biomedical sciences. I have researched and some universities accept BBB however this is only a few. The majority accept AAB-ABB and I would prefer to have this range of results so I have more options of universities to choose from.

I have opted to get a remark for my chemistry exams, as my overall mark is 468 which is 12 UMS off an A. Is there a possibility I could get this?

If the remark is unsuccessful, I might have to do some retakes and I am wondering whether universities accept retakes for biomedical sciences?

Any advice would be great, thank you.
    There are probably plenty of biomed or other life sciences courses that accept resits. Medicine often doesn't because it's so competitive. for less competitive courses it's not such a problem. Biomed often asks AAB-ABB because it is made more competitive by all the potential GEM applicants. There are other degrees that are also acceptable and have lower requirements, such as biochemistry, radiography (also leads to a similar career to medicine), etc. Some GEMs will accept non-science degrees (e.g. nottingham), so check each GEM course for their requirements. Make sure that whatever degree you do you look at the course content and see if it interests you and you are likely to get at least a 2.1 overall as this is the minimum for most GEMs. Bear in mind that most GEM applicants have 1sts.

There are still a couple of med schools that will accept resits - check out the tsr medicine wiki for the table of their policies.

Re-marks often do not alter overall UMS by more than 5-10, and may actually lower your mark, so be aware.

Also, please have a back-up plan in mind (everyone should, regardless of their grades). If you are really interested in healthcare there are lots of allied fields to choose from like radiography, pharmacology, optometry, physiotherapy, dietetics, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smuu)
    Okay thanks, did your friend apply the same year that he retook? Do you know if your friend mentioned about the retakes in his PS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes he did
    No he didn't mention his retakes

ReputationRep:
    I got AAB however my A is one ums from A* and the B isn't far off an A.

What unis can I contact?
    I saw somewhere here that someone was given an offer AAA but got ABB but was still accepted!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.