Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Macbook for accounting/finance ? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys/girls,
    Sorry for the bother but currently trying to pick a laptop for uni and a little help would be appreciated.
    At the current moment i'm pretty much decided on the MBP 13" and i'm not really here for a mac vs windows debate. As i'm going to be doing some accounting and finance, I however just began to wonder if macs were commonly used for the above as I imagine certain software is recommended for the task. If so is it présent on macs ?
    If not, I heard of dual booting windows on macs but never actually understood how it works, is it 100% safe ?
    Also I hear that Excel is much better than Numbers : simple hate against apple as usual or is it really inférior ?
    I really want to switch to apple as windows laptops have never been repliable either for me or my family. i'm not going to reconsider buying a windows unless it is an absolute nécessity in which case i would just go for a MBA for m'y 3 year studies then sell it for a windows.
    Sorry for the long thread just hope anyone already in accountancy/finance could help me a bit.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    For the love of god don't use numbers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrenchXIII)
    Hey guys/girls,
    Sorry for the bother but currently trying to pick a laptop for uni and a little help would be appreciated.
    At the current moment i'm pretty much decided on the MBP 13" and i'm not really here for a mac vs windows debate. As i'm going to be doing some accounting and finance, I however just began to wonder if macs were commonly used for the above as I imagine certain software is recommended for the task. If so is it présent on macs ?
    If not, I heard of dual booting windows on macs but never actually understood how it works, is it 100% safe ?
    Also I hear that Excel is much better than Numbers : simple hate against apple as usual or is it really inférior ?
    I really want to switch to apple as windows laptops have never been repliable either for me or my family. i'm not going to reconsider buying a windows unless it is an absolute nécessity in which case i would just go for a MBA for m'y 3 year studies then sell it for a windows.
    Sorry for the long thread just hope anyone already in accountancy/finance could help me a bit.
    Thanks.
    You can buy Office for Mac just as you would for Windows, it's completely compatible and not really a factor in whether you choose a Mac or not. If you go for a Mac, I doubt you'll need to use Windows again, and go into any of that dual booting stuff.

Also, what do you mean by "i would just go for an MBA"? Are you set on getting a MacBook regardless?

ReputationRep:
    FFS HOW Many threads are there. Should I get a MacBook for uni???

Please don't go anywhere near accounting........and numbers......

YOU DEFINANTLY NEED A MACBOOK. Otherwise. You will fail uni..... And life will be incomplete.......sign....

ReputationRep:
    Well i'd get a MBA just to get through uni but would switch when going into working if needed whereas a mac book pro i'd like to keep even after m'y studies.

And for the above poster every topic on MacBook does not talk about accounting, sorry to have created a new thread but I felt like asking a question was part of the point of forums. I don't know why you think you have the right to question the course I take as it's none of your damn business especially since i'm asking advice about a computer, not my studies. Also please do not go into that pitiful sarcasm where you exagerate everything as if i had actually implied any of those things. I want to switch to mac because as i have said i am tired of windows, i do not believe it conditions any of m'y success in studies. Just avoid replying to such topics if you dont give a sh*t, thx.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrenchXIII)
    Well i'd get a MBA just to get through uni but would switch when going into working if needed whereas a mac book pro i'd like to keep even after m'y studies.

And for the above poster every topic on MacBook does not talk about accounting, sorry to have created a new thread but I felt like asking a question was part of the point of forums. I don't know why you think you have the right to question the course I take as it's none of your damn business especially since i'm asking advice about a computer, not my studies. Also please do not go into that pitiful sarcasm where you exagerate everything as if i had actually implied any of those things. I want to switch to mac because as i have said i am tired of windows, i do not believe it conditions any of m'y success in studies. Just avoid replying to such topics if you dont give a sh*t, thx.
    If you buy a Mac, then just keep using it until it falls apart. It's silly to sell it as you won't get anything near as much as you paid for it, and then you'd also be downgrading to a cheaper computer. The main difference now between the Air and the Pro is the processor and the retina display, it's up to you whether you want to pay more for those features, and I think either way they're both very good computers which will suit your needs.

ReputationRep:
    I was told macs had quite good value second hand but that's not really an issue either way.
    Thanks for the reply, i guess i'll sée how it goes and if ever i need to change i'll be back !

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.