Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Could you be friends with someone who has very different opinions to your own? watch

ReputationRep:
    As in the title.If not then could you, at least, get along with them?

I'm talking about different opinions on 'big' issues like
    abortion,immigration,homosexual marriage?? etc......

Would the opinion itself be a deal breaker or would you take into account how their opinion/beliefs influence how they behave? For example a person maybe pro-life but does not try to force their beliefs onto you (not counting reasonable debating) and treats pro-choice-ers politely instead of, say, screaming 'baby murderer' at their faces??

ReputationRep:
    well I like to have a good debate so yes it might give me a better understanding as to why they think that way

ReputationRep:
    It depends on exactly what issue it is. Things like immigration, yes, I could still be friends with them. But for issues like gay marriage, that are so clear cut, no. We couldn't be friends.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As long as they didn't force their beliefs upon me then yes, I think I could.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if they never spoke to me about their opposing beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    Yes so long as they were as laid back as I am. Issues only arise when your being judged for your views beyond a good debate.

ReputationRep:
    I already am - I love a good debate :yep:

Basically it's a matter off don't diss out my beliefs and I won't diss yours

ReputationRep:
    I already am and it's better and I'm probably better for it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. With the majority of my classmates/ friends (excluding my closest friends) the topic of conversation generally covers schoolwork, exams, revision, TV shows, sports and general chitchat - conversation rarely turns to immigration or gay marriage. And since the subject is never breached, it's easy to remain friends with such a person.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Life is horribly boring if you surround yourself solely with people whose opinions match your own.

I don't know if I can say that it matters how they put their views across, because that suggests people who put their views across like ********s exist only when disagreeing with me. How someone puts their views across is a whole separate section of friendship relating more to their personality than their opinions. I think gay marriage is fine, but if someone thinks it's OK to shout abuse at <insert anti-gay marriage group> for not supporting it, they're as much of a **** as someone who disagress with it in an aggressive manner.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really like religion but I have friends who are religious. We just don't talk about religion as why should one disagreement mean we can't be friends? If they were racist/homophobic I'd try to cut ties with them as fast as possible though.

ReputationRep:
    You'd be surprised with how much you can tolerate

I know some really lovely people who hold some god awful opinions, but I'm still [close-ish] friends with them.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I could. In fact one of my best friends at school had completely opposite opinions to me on all three of the issues mentioned above; but I was friends with him because he was a very decent person.

ReputationRep:
    Of course. Opposites attract.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Of course. It allows you to open your minds.

ReputationRep:
    It is entirely possible... I have many friends who have other-side-of-the-spectrum opinions than me, but we get along just fine... Just the occasional heated debate

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Yeah you can. I have a friend at work and our values are totally opposite a lot of the time, but we still get along because we have shared interests.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    As long as an opinion isn't forced upon you I really don't see any issue with it - in fact, I'd encourage it.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I'd be more bothered about why they believe what they do. Do they hold that view because they've researched it, or do they refuse to listen to opposing arguments?

If their opinion is an informed opinion (even if I disagree with it) I would be 100% fine - they're the sort of people you can have an interesting discussion with. If their opinion is based on their own biases and they refuse to even listen to opposing arguments, it might get a bit annoying.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Who wants to spend their time at the pub debating issues anyway? I want to have a laugh with my mates - not discuss the pros and cons of Cameron's manifesto.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.