Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have taken all the compulsories, English Lit and Lang, Maths, all 3 sciences, and decided to take French, German, DT and Geography. We do iGCSE, and if anyone else has done a similar set of subjects I would love to find out how they got on and any tips they have for me. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I've just finished year 10, and I chose German & Geog too.
    With german you'll be fine as long as you don't fall behind, and remember that the controlled assessments are important!
    Geography is easy and fun if you're into it A lot of people only chose it for volcanoes, forgetting about human geography so they don't like it very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Strom)
    Hi!

I've just finished year 10, and I chose German & Geog too.
    With german you'll be fine as long as you don't fall behind, and remember that the controlled assessments are important!
    Geography is easy and fun if you're into it A lot of people only chose it for volcanoes, forgetting about human geography so they don't like it very much
    Do you mind me asking what grades you got at GCSEs? I am hoping to get 9A*s and an A, probably in English

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCynicalAdult)
    Do you mind me asking what grades you got at GCSEs? I am hoping to get 9A*s and an A, probably in English
    I haven't finished them yet I've only done one so far, Statistics, which I will get back in september.
    I'm hoping for 5+A*s too, so I'll tell you how it goes

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I did German, Geography, History and Religious Studies alongside all the compulsory subjects which you have done. Geography is very easy - a lot easier than history - so as long as you do well in the coursework, you'll be fine; it's also quite an interesting and enjoyable subject, as oppose to history which was tedious and uninteresting. German is very relaxed, the vibe inside lessons are great, and you grow a good relationship with your class. Albeit I got the lowest grade in German, it was my most enjoyed subject so you should also enjoy it. My recommendation is that you keep on top of your work for German.

English Lang and Lit are pretty straightforward; the workload isn't too exhaustive and the content is pretty simple. The three sciences were very difficult for me, they took a large chunk of my revision time so I'd recommend you keep on top of them. Maths and further were very easy as well, not too much to worry about

Best of luck with your GCSEs!

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I've just finished my GCSEs. I can't be much help as I didn't take German or Geography but I did take French, and H.E which like D.T is a coursework heavy subject. (I also took further maths, history, art and R.E)

You've made a brilliant selection there. Well done for taking all three sciences also (I didn't, a mistake which I'm now paying for). Languages at GCSE are brilliant fun, especially if you have a good teacher. If you work hard, keep up with the controlled assessments and immerse yourself in the languages it's easy to do well. I'm now taking French for A Level as I enjoyed it so much. I know quite a lot of people who also did two langauges and most of them are now doing the same for AS, so it's a good choice to make.

I didn't take geography but I know a lot of people who did, all of which seemed to enjoy it and find if relatively simple. Like another poster said, some people disliked the human geography. Also towards the end of yr10 and beginning of yr11 there is a considerable amount of CA but it's one of the first big ones to be finished so you won't have to worry about it during the yr11 exams.

DT is a great 'relaxed' subject but also a well respected GCSE, so great choice.

The core subjects are all fairly easy. Maths is a doddle as long as you do all the practice papers- I did it in a year and got A*. English literature was great, and English language very easy though slightly dull.

Best of luck for everything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Strom)
    I haven't finished them yet I've only done one so far, Statistics, which I will get back in september.
    I'm hoping for 5+A*s too, so I'll tell you how it goes
    Thanks for the help I hope you get the results you want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jake4198)
    Hey, I did German, Geography, History and Religious Studies alongside all the compulsory subjects which you have done. Geography is very easy - a lot easier than history - so as long as you do well in the coursework, you'll be fine; it's also quite an interesting and enjoyable subject, as oppose to history which was tedious and uninteresting. German is very relaxed, the vibe inside lessons are great, and you grow a good relationship with your class. Albeit I got the lowest grade in German, it was my most enjoyed subject so you should also enjoy it. My recommendation is that you keep on top of your work for German.

English Lang and Lit are pretty straightforward; the workload isn't too exhaustive and the content is pretty simple. The three sciences were very difficult for me, they took a large chunk of my revision time so I'd recommend you keep on top of them. Maths and further were very easy as well, not too much to worry about

Best of luck with your GCSEs!
    Thank you for your help! I do work hard and have been getting good grades in every subject, but just want to do the best I can and I honestly believe if I try hard, I can get 10 A*s and get into Medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bethaaaaany)
    Hi
    I've just finished my GCSEs. I can't be much help as I didn't take German or Geography but I did take French, and H.E which like D.T is a coursework heavy subject. (I also took further maths, history, art and R.E)

You've made a brilliant selection there. Well done for taking all three sciences also (I didn't, a mistake which I'm now paying for). Languages at GCSE are brilliant fun, especially if you have a good teacher. If you work hard, keep up with the controlled assessments and immerse yourself in the languages it's easy to do well. I'm now taking French for A Level as I enjoyed it so much. I know quite a lot of people who also did two langauges and most of them are now doing the same for AS, so it's a good choice to make.

I didn't take geography but I know a lot of people who did, all of which seemed to enjoy it and find if relatively simple. Like another poster said, some people disliked the human geography. Also towards the end of yr10 and beginning of yr11 there is a considerable amount of CA but it's one of the first big ones to be finished so you won't have to worry about it during the yr11 exams.

DT is a great 'relaxed' subject but also a well respected GCSE, so great choice.

The core subjects are all fairly easy. Maths is a doddle as long as you do all the practice papers- I did it in a year and got A*. English literature was great, and English language very easy though slightly dull.

Best of luck for everything!
    Thanks! The reason I chose those subjects is because they are subjects I am good at but I also enjoy. I was better at Latin than in DT but DT was a lot more fun for me and three languages would be a waste considering I don't even want to go into law or languages. And good luck with your results! Hope they are good

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am in year 11, so have completed 13 GCSEs (4 in year 10, the rest this year) and i am now waiting for the rest of the results!I can't really comment on IGCSE because all my subjects were just GCSE but i can give you comments surrounding all except french & german ( i did spanish). Personally i really enjoyed, well... loved the sciences and maths (i know... slightly geeky!).
    I did biology in year 10, i liked the content particularly because i could relate it to everyday life, i could see what my teacher taught in action!-( if you get what i mean). Physics just amazed me ( universe origins, stars etc.) and chemistry just made sense. Geography was great, particularly physical geography as you get to learn about the coast, tectonics, our wasteful world and rivers (this is if your doing edexcel spec. a- i am sure other geog specs may be similar)- do note however that there are lots of case studies to learn.English language & Literature was always interesting-english literature was a very subjective subject & in a way so was English language.

I would just say pick GCSEs you will enjoy but also ones that will open the correct doors for what you want to do later on in life, for example i know in my school if you want to do a level art you have to do GCSE art and so on.
    I don't know if this will be of any help?! i wasn't sure of what you exactly wanted...

(Original post by TheCynicalAdult)
    I have taken all the compulsories, English Lit and Lang, Maths, all 3 sciences, and decided to take French, German, DT and Geography. We do iGCSE, and if anyone else has done a similar set of subjects I would love to find out how they got on and any tips they have for me. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nooonooo)
    Hi,
    I am in year 11, so have completed 13 GCSEs (4 in year 10, the rest this year) and i am now waiting for the rest of the results!I can't really comment on IGCSE because all my subjects were just GCSE but i can give you comments surrounding all except french & german ( i did spanish). Personally i really enjoyed, well... loved the sciences and maths (i know... slightly geeky!).
    I did biology in year 10, i liked the content particularly because i could relate it to everyday life, i could see what my teacher taught in action!-( if you get what i mean). Physics just amazed me ( universe origins, stars etc.) and chemistry just made sense. Geography was great, particularly physical geography as you get to learn about the coast, tectonics, our wasteful world and rivers (this is if your doing edexcel spec. a- i am sure other geog specs may be similar)- do note however that there are lots of case studies to learn.English language & Literature was always interesting-english literature was a very subjective subject & in a way so was English language.

I would just say pick GCSEs you will enjoy but also ones that will open the correct doors for what you want to do later on in life, for example i know in my school if you want to do a level art you have to do GCSE art and so on.
    I don't know if this will be of any help?! i wasn't sure of what you exactly wanted...
    This was a lot of help, thanks! What I wanted to know was whether I made the correct choice, and the difficulty and emotions towards each subject

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, i forgot to mention DT,
    DT is great fun (i did textiles) it takes up a lot of time ( in terms of the coursework) but at the end you feel a great sense of achievement when you see a product which started off as a rough drawing on paper come to life as a real product you have made !]
    (Original post by nooonooo)
    Hi,

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.