Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A question for those, who are against the right to refuse service? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Imagine that prostitution is legalized in this country.

Now imagine a female prostitute, who is racist against black people. A black customer approaches her for her sexual service, which she promptly denies from him because of his skin color.

The black person then sues her and gets the government to force her to have sex with him for money - as that is the service she is providing. This is all done in the name of creating a more tolerant society by stamping out discrimination whereever it exists. After all, it was her own free choice to become a prostitute, or in other words, a private entrepreneur. Once she begins to offer a service to the public, she must offer it to everyone and not discriminate her customer on the basis of their skin color, sexual orientation etc.

Now imagine the same scenario, expect the prostitute is now male, but he is straight and doesn't like gays. A gay male turns to him for sexual services, the prostitute refuses and then the gay guy sues him and gets the government to force this prostitute to provide the service. After all, the prostitute doesn't have the right to discriminate gays. The entire following scenario is the same.

What is immoral about this? Is it immoral at all? After all, in our fight against bigots, homophobes and racists, we must take every action necessary to construct our utopia of love, tolerance and equality.

ReputationRep:
    In light of today's finding that a bakery must ice a cake promoting a political message with which its owners disagree, I would be interested in some answers here!

ReputationRep:
    In my view any private company should have the right to refuse service on any grounds regardless of how ignorant it may be. Even if you are going to forbid people refusing service due to some form of discrimination I certainly don't think a court should be imposing specific performance

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Prostitutes will be able to have a right of inspection to check for STD's and such, they can say they don't want to take anything to big because it hurts and this will exclude 99% of black guys.

That is the way bigotry and racism/homophobia is done by sensible people nowadays anyway- with subtlety.

Why didn't you want to have sex with him? I smelt drink on his breath, he was verbally aggressive, I was taking a break, he smelt bad, he had poor hygiene.

Why can't you bake a cake of me squeezing my boyfriend's g-stringed buttocks? We have to many orders atm, to many people off sick etc. etc.

But of course this business just had to be all principled and in your face with their personal morality. Learn your lesson people, keep the hate crime subtle- xenophobia and bigotry by stealth!

ReputationRep:
    The examples you included are cases where the person already has a certain degree of choosing who they serve, but in the incident with the bakery, it was done in the name of homophobia, and they wouldn't otherwise turn away a customer like that. That is why it was wrong of them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.