Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student bank accounts: Santander vs. Coop watch

ReputationRep:
    I haven't done all the research yet but I just wanted some thoughts/input from people who have been with them already or are thinking of joining. They're the most 'ethical' possible from what I've read/look into so far (that are 'big' enough for me to trust) but I don't know anyone with a student account there.

The only differences I've seen, without proper research, is that Coop is more ethical but Santander gets me a railcard.

Help?

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you join Santander, get the railcard and then change to the Coop?

ReputationRep:
    Ethical? Lol just get Santander for the railcard

ReputationRep:
    From what I've heard is that:

Coop - most likely to give you the most overdraft. most students get 1400 although up to 2000 is advertised and their customer service is v.good

Santander - gives u the rail card and 1% interest on up to £500 and they say that the overdraft for 1st yr is up to 2000 but 500 is guaranteed i think.

Llloys - also guarantee 500 overdraft but upto limit is 1500-2000. There's also the option of a credit card and they give you a free NUS card

HSBC - 500 overdraft likely but up to 3000 + credit card + 2% interest up to £1000

Natwest/RBS - likely 1000 overdraft but up to £2000 + free tastecard (worth £70 i think)

Barclays - 200 overdraft start but up to 2000 also RAC Learner driver pack = 4hrs of driving lessons + 12 months breakdown cover + "10% discount on possessions insurance as well as save on driving lessons through RAC Learner Driver" or something (not clear on details)

Halifax - overdraft up to 3000 and 0.1% interest

Source: my own research and http://moneyfacts.co.uk/news/banking...bank-accounts/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soup)
    Why don't you join Santander, get the railcard and then change to the Coop?
    There's probably some rule against that cause it's taking advantage, right? Anyway it's too much hassle, I'll probably just got for Santander and stick with them.

(Original post by bittr n swt)
    Ethical? Lol just get Santander for the railcard
    Yep, ethical. As in, I'd prefer not to keep my money with business who invest in warfare and things that are detrimental to our environment etc. None are perfect obviously but I'm trying to avoid the worst. Probably will just go with them.

(Original post by skaur_1)
    From what I've heard is that:

Coop - most likely to give you the most overdraft. most students get 1400 although up to 2000 is advertised and their customer service is v.good

Santander - gives u the rail card and 1% interest on up to £500 and they say that the overdraft for 1st yr is up to 2000 but 500 is guaranteed i think.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flyyoufools)
    There's probably some rule against that cause it's taking advantage, right? Anyway it's too much hassle, I'll probably just got for Santander and stick with them.
    I'm with Santander and went in recently to ask whether or not I keep the railcard if I was to switch and they said that there is no procedure for them to get it back. I plan to hop to TSB (free NUS card) and then onto HSBC (for the interest) soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soup)
    I'm with Santander and went in recently to ask whether or not I keep the railcard if I was to switch and they said that there is no procedure for them to get it back. I plan to hop to TSB (free NUS card) and then onto HSBC (for the interest) soon.
    Oh cool, would've thought they'd give you one yearly to stop you from leaving. I cba with the effort of setting up more than one account and I'd feel guilty taking advantage of that 'loophole' but thanks x

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 18, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.