The Student Room Group

Warwick GEP (A101) Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by santi_92
Not this year but for last years cycle I went to the warwick open day. I made a post on what I thought of it I can copy and paste it in if you'd like to read it?

As far as I know, Newcastle only invite successful applicants to their medicine open days.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes please that would be excellent, I went a whole ago to Warwick as I live quite close anyway but it was a few years ago now!

That's good, do you know if most medical schools do that?
Original post by Callum3112
Yes please that would be excellent, I went a whole ago to Warwick as I live quite close anyway but it was a few years ago now!

Well I know Warwick's next open day should be around February 2015, Barts open day was in July I believe, Southampton have general undergraduate open days tomorrow and on Saturday (they aren't specific about medicine open days but it may all be on the same day), and King's pre-application open days are finished for 2014 but I believe they also do open days for offer holders like Newcastle.
Original post by Callum3112

Oh and here's what I thought of Warwick when I went in 2013 (found it in the end lol)

Well I got there slightly late as it was a 5hr drive from Kent; blame the M25! But most people were late so they pushed it back time-wise.

There was a section where current students spoke to us in the main mtc (medical teaching centre) lecture theatre. This was pretty informative as they told us of their own experiences applying to medical school, dealing with rejection, gaining acceptance and in general how their life has been at warwick. They also gave information of how the course is laid out such as lectures and small groups for problem based learning etc. Also just how busy they are and how much work they have to do! Which I did not find daunting, what can I say? When you love something and want to do it, does it really seem like work?

A huge factor for me was their use of plastinated prosections which they had on display in the MTC common room, although we weren't allowed to touch them for obvious reasons. But the plastinations were amazing and it really showed just how updated they are not just with the teaching of anatomy but medicine as a whole. They had films of organs and muscles from real humans which they put on a projector to show, and the lecturer engaged us by asking questions about what we could see and if we could identify certain organs or layers etc.

That's just one of the incredible things!

The taster sessions for me cannot be described in one word. They were so incredible and just awesome. For me at least a memorable thing from the taster sessions, is how they actually made me feel like I was a medical student. The taster sessions were: Resuscitation, Clinical Examination, Clinical Anatomy and Ethics. We were given the most up-to-date equipment to work with in the taster sessions, such as tools for ear exams and eye exams. We even made use of stethoscopes! Super fun times! One thing that stuck: in the clinical anatomy session, they had torso models of females which we could examine for the purpose of identifying the tell tale signs of breast cancer. I was shocked by how real it was! Most women with the condition often say they felt a lump or a hard mass; I had no idea just how hard this mass was until the open day when I examined the model! In my mind, this was evidence of how Warwick engage their medical students by getting them to perform practical tasks. Now ethics, is normally the most boring part. But for the life of me, I have no idea how they managed to make it so interesting! I wasn't bored at all and I had driven 5hrs to get there and only had about 3hrs of sleep! All in all, their facilities and equipment were incredible.

The day closed with an optional campus tour. The campus size was really quite remarkable, and the scenery was a pleasure to look at. Honestly, I'm so glad I went to the open day. In the past, I've underestimated the value of visiting the institution before applying or attending. Visiting warwick, as cheesy as it may sound lol, I loved the place as soon as I saw the medical school sign at the entrance. And I think visiting has definitely enabled me to gain clarity with my GEM choices, as you can probably tell,Warwick is a favourite for me!

That's about all I remember lol I can't find my notes as my room is a mess form studying for the UKCAT and my degree lol. Hope it helps!
I was wondering if anyone could help me... I think I already know the answer to this, but I'm in denial (I really want to apply to Warwick). Basically I want to know if anyone has any clue how strict Warwick are about work experience? I'm just about to go into my final year at Cambridge and there is literally NO time while I'm there to do any healthcare related volunteering, and when I'm at home in the holidays I have to work to try to earn some money. As a result of this, I don't really have a lot of choice as to which medical schools I can apply to. However I have spent two weeks in a hospital shadowing doctors and a week following a doctor in a clinical trial, to make try to gain a little insight into the life of a doctor and to figure out if it was definitely what I wanted to do (which yay, it is)!

Warwick's website says this: "The types of experience that we value include voluntary work in a nursing home, care home, hospice or hospital volunteer as well as employment in professional healthcare roles. As a general rule, what you have learned from your experience is more important than the overall length of time you spent. However, the minimum commitment we would expect to see is the equivalent of 2 weeks full-time (70 hours) across the last two years."

This to me sounds like I will have needed to do something more than just shadowing in hospitals, even if I learned a hell of a lot from it, and although I used to volunteer regularly at a nursing home, that was when I was at school (about 4/5 years ago). I don't want to waste a choice on somewhere that won't even look at the rest of my application, but I don't want to just give up on Warwick at the same time. Does anyone have any advice? (Please be honest- I'm not expecting to hear positive things...)

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this! (And good luck with your applications guys!)
Original post by SummerSunshine
I was wondering if anyone could help me... I think I already know the answer to this, but I'm in denial (I really want to apply to Warwick). Basically I want to know if anyone has any clue how strict Warwick are about work experience? I'm just about to go into my final year at Cambridge and there is literally NO time while I'm there to do any healthcare related volunteering, and when I'm at home in the holidays I have to work to try to earn some money. As a result of this, I don't really have a lot of choice as to which medical schools I can apply to. However I have spent two weeks in a hospital shadowing doctors and a week following a doctor in a clinical trial, to make try to gain a little insight into the life of a doctor and to figure out if it was definitely what I wanted to do (which yay, it is)!

Warwick's website says this: "The types of experience that we value include voluntary work in a nursing home, care home, hospice or hospital volunteer as well as employment in professional healthcare roles. As a general rule, what you have learned from your experience is more important than the overall length of time you spent. However, the minimum commitment we would expect to see is the equivalent of 2 weeks full-time (70 hours) across the last two years."

This to me sounds like I will have needed to do something more than just shadowing in hospitals, even if I learned a hell of a lot from it, and although I used to volunteer regularly at a nursing home, that was when I was at school (about 4/5 years ago). I don't want to waste a choice on somewhere that won't even look at the rest of my application, but I don't want to just give up on Warwick at the same time. Does anyone have any advice? (Please be honest- I'm not expecting to hear positive things...)

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this! (And good luck with your applications guys!)

Do you have at least 70 hours of work experience/volunteering that you can provide a reference for? And have you already sat the ukcat?
Hey guys, just wondering what everyone got on their UKCAT. I got really sick halfway through mine so I got 723 average/2890. I know it's not 3000, but as I can't find any up to date admissions information, I can't gather how much of a chance I have. Any ideas or links to the information would be much appreciated!

EDIT: I do have plenty of work experience. Beginning of August I started work as a mental health support worker on a psychiatric ward, and I'm just organising shadowing a friend of mine who is an anesthetist.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey all! I'm probably going to apply to Warwick GEP for 2015 entry too :smile:

I have a 2.i in Classics from Oxford, sat a Chemistry A Level this year (while working full time in London) and got an A*, UKCAT 815 Band 1.

My main worry is not enough work exp. I've done a week of shadowing in a hospital and I'm a First Aider with St. John Ambulance- does that sound sufficient? I do get lots of hands-on caring experience doing that which is valuable I hope! I also volunteer as a tutor for kids in London.

How's everyone's PS coming along? Seems that Warwick is not putting as much emphasis on this as they have in previous years?
(edited 9 years ago)
I've sent my application off! Scary stuff. UKCAT not the best, just hoping it gets me to the selection centre! Its the only med school I'm applying to with my ukcat. I have 9 months full time work experience which I did last year in a clinical research group so fingers crossed!
Original post by KirstieW
I've sent my application off! Scary stuff. UKCAT not the best, just hoping it gets me to the selection centre! Its the only med school I'm applying to with my ukcat. I have 9 months full time work experience which I did last year in a clinical research group so fingers crossed!

What did you get, if you don't mind me asking? Good luck!
Original post by JenniB22
What did you get, if you don't mind me asking? Good luck!

I got 680 avg. Breakdown as follows:
VR 580 (such a let down)
QR 750
AR 740
DA 650 (hoped it would be better)
SJ band 1

Wish I got as good a score as you!

And thanks! good luck to you too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I got 680 avg. Breakdown as follows:
VR 580 (such a let down)
QR 750
AR 740
DA 650 (hoped it would be better)
SJ band 1

Wish I got as good a score as you!

And thanks! good luck to you too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well given the fact that averages this year are lower so far than last year I wouldn't give up hope! Do you have a Masters or PhD or just BA/BSc?
Well given the fact that averages this year are lower so far than last year I wouldn't give up hope! Do you have a Masters or PhD or just BA/BSc?

That's what I'm counting on! I'm in my final year of a BSc in Medical Science hoping to get a first. Did the GAMSAT which is what I'm using for my remaining 3 choices.

Where else are you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's what I'm counting on! I'm in my final year of a BSc in Medical Science hoping to get a first. Did the GAMSAT which is what I'm using for my remaining 3 choices.

Where else are you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds good! I'm applying to Southampton, KCL, and Newcastle. Didn't fancy GAMSAT with a Classics degree!!
Sounds good! I'm applying to Southampton, KCL, and Newcastle. Didn't fancy GAMSAT with a Classics degree!!

They're great choices with an awesome ukcat score! It's just a waiting game now. I hope I've done well enough in the GAMSAT cos I'm really awful at essay writing but the science section should have been pretty decent!

Posted from TSR Mobile
They're great choices with an awesome ukcat score! It's just a waiting game now. I hope I've done well enough in the GAMSAT cos I'm really awful at essay writing but the science section should have been pretty decent!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That was my thought process- if I hadn't done so well I might have reconsidered! I'm sure with a science background your S3 will be no problem so hope it went well for you :smile:
Just sent off my UCAS. Gulp.
Just sent off my UCAS. Gulp.

Good luck!
Reply 37
Hi all, I'm applying to Warwick as well :smile: I have a 732.5 UKCAT, a 2.2 degree in Biosciences and an MSc with Merit in genetics. Application is in and now I'm bored and waiting for November!
Warwick is still my first choice. I really, really hope I can get in this year and get on with my life. It seems slightly disingenuous doing a string of things to "boost my application" for years on end.
Not happy right now. Warwick have rejected me on the basis that my application was submitted late. I submitted it on 26th September.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending